Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
DD very behind in kodesh

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:06 pm
Need advise about what to do. My DD asked to switch schools this year. She's in 5th grade for a few weeks now and despairing. It's a long story but suffice it to say she was previously in a school that did not really have kodesh. Just modern Hebrew and basically that is all. Of course, in her new school, she quickly became overwhelmed and although her teacher indicates she is understanding of my DD's limitations, still the lessons must go on and my DD can not get inidividual attention nor can she slow down the class for the benefit of my DD. There are not many girls in the class but still, seems it can't go a little slower. Of course, there is tutoring but she is so far behind in kodesh that it's almost like she needs to be on a totally different grade level. I feel like whatever she can glean from her classroom is great but she just needs a very individual approach. Any experience with this or things I could think about asking the school?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:08 pm
My dd had a classmate who switched in from a school on a much lower level for kodesh, and they put her in one grade for kodesh and higher grade for secular studies. Would your dd consider that? She may be too self conscious by fifth grade already...

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 12:48 am
Try to get one on one learning for three basic subjects and let the others go.

example: Chumash, Halacha and dikduk..

The tutor could teach the same material as the class but cover very little ground in a manner that breaks it down like it was done in the younger grades.

Once she gets the idea she may be able to catch up quicker than you think.

Putting down a class may not help.

smss

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:37 am
5th grade with almost no skills or background? There is very very little a classroom teacher can do.

I think you may need to pull her out of school for kodesh and either homeschool her or pay a private tutor. At least for this year.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:52 am
I would request a joint meeting with the limudai kodesh teacher, principal and learning center/resource room (if there is one in the school). In my daughters' school, girls who are behind get pulled out of class for one-on-one tutoring when needed, particularly in Chumash. This is much more beneficial for them than getting a tutor after a full day school, which can be very hard for the kid, and also is better use of their time in school instead if sitting lost in the classroom. Please try to schedule a meeting as soon as possible so that together you can come up with a plan. Kids at this age are very good at making up for lost time when they have the resources to do so. Hatzlacha!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:54 am
What is the problem? Is it the language or the content? If it’s the language, a tutor may be able to help with that. Content can be translated and the background filled in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics