Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When do get the first pair of shoes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:32 pm
My baby started walking but still can't make it past around 10 steps max before losing balance and just continuing crawling. This has been going on for a few weeks already.

I got the robeez shoes but I want to know when to get proper shoes?

shmosmom

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:02 pm
This is when to get proper shoes. It will give him the final push to learn to walk properly.
(If he's very young and you want to wait a bit that's ok too.)

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:04 pm
shmosmom wrote:
This is when to get proper shoes. It will give him the final push to learn to walk properly.
(If he's very young and you want to wait a bit that's ok too.)

Not true.

Get shoes when your child is stable on his feet. Otherwise, the muscles in his feet and legs will not develop proper strength and coordination.

My daughter can walk across a room without a problem. I'm still waiting to get her shoes because I feel she could use some more stability first.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:04 pm
Babies don't need shoes until they are walking outside. You can get them earlier if you want.

happymom123

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:05 pm
This is a great question for your pediatrician. Mine said to wait until my toddler was stable on his feet before buying proper shoes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:12 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Babies don't need shoes until they are walking outside. You can get them earlier if you want.

I sometimes take him walking outside (he's holding my hands). Are the robeez shoes not enough?

tweety1

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:16 pm
I used to believe in the theory not to get shoes untill they're walking properly untill I learned it's not a "one sz fits all". Child #6 was the exact way as op was describing. I spoke to a therapist who told me to get him shoes. That's when I learned EACH CHILD IS DIFFERENT! I would get him shoes. He might need the extra support.

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:18 pm
The owner of Shoe Dream in Lakewood told us that the child should be walking for a month before buying the first pair of shoes.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:45 pm
when you all say "shoes" what are you referring to? I just order pediped shoes for my daughter. I think it's comparable to the second stage in the robeez brand. It still has the flexible soul so it doesn't give too much support. is that what you are referring to or more rigid shoes?

amother
Green

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I sometimes take him walking outside (he's holding my hands). Are the robeez shoes not enough?

are they designed as an outdoor shoe? rubber soles?

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby started walking but still can't make it past around 10 steps max before losing balance and just continuing crawling. This has been going on for a few weeks already.

I got the robeez shoes but I want to know when to get proper shoes?

Bare feet is the best way for them to learn how to walk. As long as the weather's warm, maximize its use.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 4:21 pm
Barefoot as long as possible. They need the feedback between their foot and the ground and they grip the floor with their toes. Get soft soled shoes for outings, but barefoot as long as you can.
His main mode of moving should be walking. He should prefer walking for a few weeks.
Continue barefoot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics