Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Grocery shopping

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 2:22 pm
Just curious since I have such hard time paying my grocery bills. How does everyone else do it?
Where do you shop for groceries?
How much do you pay per week?
What's your family size?
Do you physically shop or order?
How often do you shop for groceries?
How do you pay for it?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:03 pm
For the first time I have to really limit my spending. I started shopping at less convenient cheaper stores (aldis moishes) and wait for sales. I buy chopped meat 1x a month and hardly any prepared foods. No more takeout bakery... Bh my kids r young so the most difficult thing is not being able to buy them the cool snacks they really want

lcraighten

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:04 pm
Second for Aldi's. They are cheaper than a lot of other places. I usually shop in a few stores to get the best prices and stock up during sale times with a freezer.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:27 pm
I always wonder how and who has time and money to shop at the big nice stores like Evergreen, Gourmet Glatt.
How does one pull off $300 for one shopping trip?
Where do they get the money from?
After all our expenses, there's almost nothing left for food and we need to rely on tzedakah. We're not eligible for food stamps or WIC.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:34 pm
People on imamother have an enormous range of incomes and thus the ability to pay for groceries and everything else is a broad range.

What someone else spends with a disposable income of $250,000 really isn't helpful if you have a limited budget just as budget tips for someone who has a high disposable income probably aren't relevant.

You could probably get a lot of useful tips by asking what cost saving stuff people use to feed their family so that the family is well nourished and eats delicious food as well. Obviously it's easier if one can spend a lot of money for food but it is also possible to eat nicely on a budget if one is willing to spend some time and effort to learn shopping tips as well as how to prepare less expensive nutritious foods in interesting and delicious ways that your family will like.

There are many lower cost meals that I actually prefer to a plain piece of steak Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:46 pm
I NEVER serve steak!

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:50 pm
goust glad has the best specials. It’s a shlep but 1x aweek I go just for sale itms

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:53 pm
We shop at KRM and Walmart.
Family size is over 10 KA"H.
How much do we spend? Too much.
Weekly Walmart shopping is about $150-$200.
Once or twice a month KRM is $400-$500 or so, we keep meat and bread in the freezer.
We shop physically at KRM and order at Walmart.
We also get diapers and garbage bags automatically sent from Amazon.

Some of the food is paid for by EBT, B"H (although we were off it for over a year not long ago).

I have a fixed menu for the week, Shabbos is much more expensive in terms of variety of foods.

Breakfast usually costs under $1 per person per day.
Lunch + snacks usually costs about $1 per person per day.
Supper usually costs under $2 per person per day.

Shabbos adds at least $100 per week on top of that. I make my own challah/cakes/kugels/salads, but variety of vegetables for salads, chicken, and dessert adds up quickly.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:01 pm
We get good savings by buying staples at Walmart. They have free delivery too if you order over $35. I also keep an app with a shopping list so I buy what I need instead of what seems appealing in the moment. I make all bread / desserts etc from scratch rather than buying.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:16 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
We shop at KRM and Walmart.
Family size is over 10 KA"H.
How much do we spend? Too much.
Weekly Walmart shopping is about $150-$200.
Once or twice a month KRM is $400-$500 or so, we keep meat and bread in the freezer.
We shop physically at KRM and order at Walmart.
We also get diapers and garbage bags automatically sent from Amazon.

Some of the food is paid for by EBT, B"H (although we were off it for over a year not long ago).

I have a fixed menu for the week, Shabbos is much more expensive in terms of variety of foods.

Breakfast usually costs under $1 per person per day.
Lunch + snacks usually costs about $1 per person per day.
Supper usually costs under $2 per person per day.

Shabbos adds at least $100 per week on top of that. I make my own challah/cakes/kugels/salads, but variety of vegetables for salads, chicken, and dessert adds up quickly.

Just curious why you get garbage bags and diapers from Amazon if Walmart is so much cheaper?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just curious why you get garbage bags and diapers from Amazon if Walmart is so much cheaper?

I can’t answer for her but on many items amazon can end up cheaper especially if you get the 15% subscribe and save discount.

baby12x

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 4:06 pm
I use only cash.
I do one big shopping and then run to the store for milk, bread, fruit, veg a lot (we live literally next door so no big deal).

We are very limited so I buy very basic stuff. A lot of beans and other legumes.

My dream is to one day be able to walk into a fancy grocery store and buy whatever I want without looking at the price!

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 4:26 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I can’t answer for her but on many items amazon can end up cheaper especially if you get the 15% subscribe and save discount.

That is correct. Diapers, especially I get 20% off. The savings on diapers alone more than pays for the Amazon subscription itself.

When other items go on sale on Amazon (like tissues, recently) I will sometimes stock up.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 6:59 am
There r no prices at krm! Went there once n never again...
I’d love to c ur menu. Or breakfast snack ideas

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 8:12 am
We shop around a lot, a buy things when they are on sale, stocking up as much as we can in an apartment. Produce is normally purchased at produce stands, where good prices are less than 1/3 of grocery store prices. Meat is only bought when on sale. We rarely buy prepared foods (a few times a year, when I am unwell and DH picks up a Shabbos Special) or anything like that. DH checks the circulars (Torah Times, The Link, Rite Aid, CVS, etc., plus all the large groceries within 1-2 miles) to find good deals. We also sometimes go without what we might want because we can't find a good price.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 8:04 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
There r no prices at krm! Went there once n never again...
I’d love to c ur menu. Or breakfast snack ideas

KRM prices may not be posted, but it ends up being significantly cheaper for us.
We eat very basic. We only buy "Jewish" food (meat, milk, stuff that needs to be cholov or pas Yisrael) at KRM, all other stuff at Walmart.

These meals usually need to serve 10 or so people. I rounded up as far as amounts used and prices, and put price of whole container even though obviously we don't use it all (except for spices).

Breakfast:
Cereal and Milk is under $9 per day ($4 cereal, $3 milk - we use more than 1 most days)
Oatmeal is under $3 per day ($2.50 oatmeal canister, $3.50 raisins, $2 sugar, $1 cinnamon)
Homemade pancakes is under $5 per day ($2 flour, $2 sugar, $2 eggs, $2 oil, $1 baking powder, $2 soy milk, fake syrup $2, + mixins)

Lunch:
Bread Pizzas is under $15 per day ($4 rye bread, $18 American cheese, $3 ketchup)
Sandwiches with PB&J, egg salad, tuna etc. are all under $12 per day ($3 ww bread, $2 tuna, $4 big mayo, $3 big PB, $4 big jelly, $2 eggs)
Soup and rolls is under $10 ($1 can beans, $3 bag onions, $2 salsa, $1 spices; Rhodes rolls (dough) $4 or homemade even less)
Scrambled eggs and french fries is under $13 ($3 eggs, $1 spices, $5.50 huge bag fries, $3 ketchup, $2 cucumber)
Tuna & Pasta is under $12 ($1 box pasta, $2 tuna, $1 spices, $4 big mayo, $1 frozen peas)
Leftovers are technically free Smile

Snacks:
Pretzel bag is $2
Tortilla chips bag is $1
Apples are $3.50 for 3lb bag
Baby carrots are $2 for 2lb bag
Hard boiled eggs < $2 for dozen
Baby cucumbers are $2.50 for 1 lb bag
Clementines are about $1/lb
Popcorn is $3 for big canister (use with hot air popper), $2 oil, $1 salt
Homemade cookies are under $4 ($2 flour, $2 sugar, $2 oil, $2 eggs, $3 chocolate chips)

Sandwich bags are $5.50 for 300 (about 2 cents each)

That should give you some idea Smile Maybe I'll post supper breakdowns later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics