Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
G.O. Head and "Jobs" in Lakewood high-schools - Favoritism??
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 6:14 pm
Of course! But it's very telling that so many people in the system years later still feel so disenfranchised about their alma mater. Clearly something isn't working. I don't think it's the actual jobs, I think it's the feeling of not being respected unless you fit a certain criteria of personality traits and/or have some outstanding feature. Like papaya described so eloquently. If we want girls to feel connected we need to provide them with a connection.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 6:40 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Of course! But it's very telling that so many people in the system years later still feel so disenfranchised about their alma mater. Clearly something isn't working. I don't think it's the actual jobs, I think it's the feeling of not being respected unless you fit a certain criteria of personality traits and/or have some outstanding feature. Like papaya described so eloquently. If we want girls to feel connected we need to provide them with a connection.

How would you recommend providing girls with a connection? Practically speaking. In a school with over 100 students per grade? I’d love to hear!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 6:44 pm
More mature teachers who don't visibly dote on the "cool" or popular or well connected girls. It shows a certain immaturity imo. And sends a message to the just plain old regular Jane's who make up 95% of the school.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:11 pm
More mature teachers who don't visibly dote on the "cool" or popular or well connected girls. It shows a certain immaturity imo. And sends a message to the just plain old regular Jane's who make up 95% of the school.

Do you really think that would help the “plain Jane’s” feel more connected?
I definitely agree that it would be nice but I don’t see how it’s feasible.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:17 pm
Yes. I do. Certainly it would make them less resentful.
Not feasible to stop running after girls and trying to get their approval when they may be old enough to be their mother?? Lol. That sets a very low standard for teachers.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:31 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Do you really think that would help the “plain Jane’s” feel more connected?
I definitely agree that it would be nice but I don’t see how it’s feasible.

I don't know about connected but my daughter in upper elementary definitely complains that she feels invisible in school because her teachers are only teaching the popular kids. BH she has good friends and does well but her teachers cater to the girls who are louder, funner and wear shorter skirts. Color war, chagiga, class performance, it's always the same girls again and again. When the school sends home a newsletter with pictures- it's those girls again. My daughter understands the concept of a social hierarchy in school and she's basically okay with where she stands with the girls but the clear teacher preference for a certain "type" across the board makes her feel left out.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:33 pm
Ok what is G.O? Graduation Officer? What do they do? I read through almost the whole thread and didn’t find it explained. I didn’t grow up going to a school that had this...

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:45 pm
Yes. I do. Certainly it would make them less resentful.
Not feasible to stop running after girls and trying to get their approval when they may be old enough to be their mother?? Lol. That sets a very low standard for teachers.

Sorry, seems I was unclear. I wasn’t referring to them running after girls (though I can’t say I noticed them running after the “geshmak” girls more after those who seemed “on the fringe”. Like a friend once said, if your skirt is 3.5” below your knee you’ll be punished but if it’s 1/2” below your knee you’ll be hugged)
I’m just wondering if there’s a way to make all the average/invisible girls more visible and feel more connected? Without the girl taking the first step and reaching out to a teacher first.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:47 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
Ok what is G.O? Graduation Officer? What do they do? I read through almost the whole thread and didn’t find it explained. I didn’t grow up going to a school that had this...

Not sure what it stands for but it’s the girls who head the extra curricular activities for the school that year. They have a theme song which they present, will prepare games or treats for special occasions etc

singleagain

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 7:52 pm
daagahminayin wrote:

It stands for general organization... Basically like a student government./council

daagahminayin

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:08 pm
singleagain wrote:
It stands for general organization... Basically like a student government./council

Thanks!

hotzenplotz

Post Thu, May 23 2019, 9:24 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
What does that mean?
I’m a hs teacher, I feel a lot of frustration about the way jobs are divided up, and have spoken up about it many times. I’m hearing so much pain and frustration on this thread, and I understand that.
But what does this comment mean? What kind of people become teachers? What does it mean they can’t understand people?

Let me explain something to you: the girls who are picked as
teachers are naturally self regulated, have cute body language and the gift of the gab.
Their brains/ emotions/speech/reactions to the world regulate themselves since birth.
They did not struggle in a certain sense
But that doesnt make them kind or intuitive or people who should be helping us educate our children who come in all kinds of shapes.
Try being the mother of a high strung, intense but otherwise normal kid
or a mother of a child who has difficulty being with peers for so many hours and tell me if the principals and teachers can really relate.

shaindeldevora

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:55 pm
Please can someone tell me what
the words g.o. stand for??

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 4:06 pm
General organization.
Someone answered your question just 5 posts up.

singleagain

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 4:06 pm
shaindeldevora wrote:
Please can someone tell me what
the words g.o. stand for??

I think it's something like government organization

shaindeldevora

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 4:16 pm
Sorry, didnt see reply above
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics