Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Women in Jewish history
Previous  1  2

Rappel

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 12:45 pm
Shlomtzion Smile))))))))))

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:30 pm
There is a bat mitzvah education program called Matan--some MO shuls run it for 6th grade girls and their mothers. See if you can track down that curriculum, it's all about Jewish women from the dawn of time until now!

etky

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:13 pm
The Maid of Ludomir and the Meneket Rivkah, for scholarly women role models.

etky

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:14 pm
...and Osnat Barazni too

rzab

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:16 pm
Nechama Leibowitz

cuterpatooter

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:29 pm
Dr Abrahamson has a great lecture on Bertha Pappenheim! It's better than fiction, such a strong and brave person
She had a fascinating life!
She was
- great granddaughter of Gluckel of Hameln, translated her diary to modern german
- Freud's famous "Anna O"
- Owned and operated an orphanage
- Activist against the terrible woman trafficking happening to jews and non jews in europe at the time.
lecture is here

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 4:24 pm
misrael wrote:
Dr Abrahamson has a great lecture on Bertha Pappenheim! It's better than fiction, such a strong and brave person
She had a fascinating life!
She was
- great granddaughter of Gluckel of Hameln, translated her diary to modern german
- Freud's famous "Anna O"
- Owned and operated an orphanage
- Activist against the terrible woman trafficking happening to jews and non jews in europe at the time.
lecture is here

Thank you, I never knew about her. Fascinating!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 5:53 pm
yesyeysyes
most of those I want to make a "rebbetzin poster" of

iyar

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 8:18 pm
Recha Sternbuch

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 8:24 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
Neither. I am a mother who would like to see a slightly different focus in my daughters curriculum.

While this sounds super cool and I would love to teach a curriculum like this, I think it can only work if the girls have a basic understanding of the background timeline of Jewish History. History very much blends together for them (Rashi apparently lived in the time of Tanach or George Washington, depending on which girls you ask). While they can talk about important women, they're going to have to go in chronological order and give plenty of background unless that was already taught.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 9:52 pm
double post

Last edited by amother on Wed, Sep 18 2019, 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 9:52 pm
I will second the Matan Bat Mitzvah curriculum content. They is where I learned about it Hannah Gracia Mendes Nasi. In my opinion she would definitely make top 5. Additionally in the top 5 I would include Sarah Sarah Schenirer . I also only learned about her recently when my daughter read this amazing yet torturous (it was really hard because you couldn't tell what was Yiddish/English or Hebrew that you were supposed to know) Tel Am book. (Anyone else read it? It really was great once you broke your teeth on it).
I would say Hannah Senesh would make my list as would Golda Meir, who no one has mentioned yet. Nechama Leibowitz would probably round out my list at the moment, but I am sure there are amazing women I am just not thinking of at the moment.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics