Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I wanted to do this so badly... would it have been ok?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 9:49 am
My relative is part of shomrim in bp. He said he once had a story where a mother called in hysterical that she can’t find her toddler. They came down and found the toddler a little later wandering in a nearby store. The mother took her toddler went over to a 6-7 year old yelled at them for not watching the toddler well enough while she shopped in one of these stores that don’t allow strollers and then the mother left said toddler once again and merrily went back to her shopping!
My relative was flabbergasted. All this happened even before they left the scene!!

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:12 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I saw young kids in a car one day outside the grocery. The windows were open, but it was summer and no adult was around.

I waited for the mom to finish her shopping. I informed her that I could have called the cops and will do that if I ever see it again. (I did ask the store to page her, they refused because the windows were open)

that's insane

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:38 am
zaq wrote:
No it would not have been ok. You could have gotten into major trouble. The thing to have done would have been to go into the store and announce “You with the black City Mini, your baby’s crying outside. I suggest you come get her before someone calls the police.”

I second this advice.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:51 am
I once walked past a store and saw a Twinbuggy with kids inside in the pouring rain all of a sudden I saw a police car standing by the red light. I walked in and shouted the police is coming to check who left their babies outside! (Wasn't even true but I was so enraged I had to say something)

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 11:33 am
Surrendered wrote:
The store might have a policy of No strollers in store.
The baby was probably sleeping peacefully while the mother ran in for a minute to return an item. Or she shopped, but kept coming out every few minutes to check on the baby.
Do not move someone else's baby.
You can go in and speak to the mother, how dangerous it is to leave baby unattended.

Store policy is not an excuse. Either take your baby in with you, or go time.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 11:38 am
This post has been bothering me since I read it. OP, what is wrong with you? My first instinct would be to call the police, not move the kid farther away from where he can be observed or into a driveway where he could be hit. I cannot understand your desire to put the baby into further harm's way than his mother did. Even though she was wrong, I think you are too. You want to punish her? Call the police about an unattended baby. You want to protect the baby? stay with him until she returns. Your reaction is just as nonsensical as leaving him unattended in the first place. Look inside first.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 11:38 am
On many occasions, I’ve popped my head into a store and asked”who’s baby is unattended outside! Please go watch your baby!”

Sure, I got crazy stares, but I don’t care. They all know deep down how right I am...

But never take someone’s baby. They will turn the crime onto you

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 12:23 pm
andrea levy wrote:
This post has been bothering me since I read it. OP, what is wrong with you? My first instinct would be to call the police, not move the kid farther away from where he can be observed or into a driveway where he could be hit. I cannot understand your desire to put the baby into further harm's way than his mother did. Even though she was wrong, I think you are too. You want to punish her? Call the police about an unattended baby. You want to protect the baby? stay with him until she returns. Your reaction is just as nonsensical as leaving him unattended in the first place. Look inside first.

Yes to all of this!!!
You wanted to..... scare the mother???
By putting the baby in MORE danger???
What on EARTH would that accomplish???

123Smile

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 12:39 pm
I know Some Brooklyn stores that have a no stroller policy during the busy seasons. They always hire an assistant to babysit the carriages on the street.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 12:41 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
That would have been a waste.
I would have taken that cutie home for myself.

I’m sure you’re not serious
But you did get me to laugh!

OP, It’s Crazy. Never leave child attended even for a minute! Everyone shd know that in today’s day and age. But I wouldn’t touch it either. I’d go in or stay to watch baby, I’ve done that before. Mom was embarrassed. I didn’t mean to shame was just scared someone might walk off chv, but she learned her lesson. At least I hope she did.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 12:44 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Store policy is not an excuse. Either take your baby in with you, or go time.

Exactly!!

simba

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 12:55 pm
2 thoughts:

1. I have done this many times. This doesn’t happen on crown heights as BH no stores have a no stroller policy but when I am
in other parts of the city and I see a baby alone in a stroller outside, I will stand and wait until that mother comes out. You better believe it that some women leave the baby outside without checking on them for more then 20 minutes! When the mom comes out I usually give her a dirty look and let her know I was watching her child until she came out. They usually mutter an embarrassed thank you and shuffle away quickly.
I hope the embarrassment keeps them from doing it again.

2. I will not patronize any store in a frum neighborhood (usually the case) that has such a policy. I can’t bring my children in, I can’t bring the clothes home without ridiculous return policies. Doesn’t work for my current lifestyle and that of most of their customers. Sorry.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 12:55 pm
Oh for heaven's sake! Store policy!

I once went into a store where the saleswoman said that to me. I was NOT walking out after I schlepped there and heaved that overweight car seat out of the car. I smiled and said My policy is I don't leave my children unattended. And I gave her a look and pushed my carriage through. She didn't say a word. I have no idea about the laws of commerce, but if cake stores face lawsuits when they have a policy not to serve gays, then I think clothing stores can't have policies that they don't serve carriage-pushing moms.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 12:58 pm
simba wrote:
I have done this many times.

No. You did not push a stroller into the driveway to scare the mother.

simba

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 1:02 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
No. You did not push a stroller into the driveway to scare the mother.

No. Read on. I stood and watched a child outside until the parent came out.

urban gypsy

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 1:03 pm
simba wrote:
No. Read on. I stood and watched a child outside until the parent came out.

Exactly. You did the right thing.
I thought you were equating your actions with the actions of the OP, I misunderstood your first sentence TMI

simba

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 1:06 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
Exactly. You did the right thing.
I thought you were equating your actions with the actions of the OP, I misunderstood your first sentence TMI

No way! Dh and I were actually thinking of inventing a helmet for strollers. Seeing how many women push their stroller into oncoming traffic to see if the road is clear to cross. Those strollers are expensive you know!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 1:14 pm
The obvious answer is to put the baby in a sling when you can't take a stroller into the store.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 1:33 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I just don't understand this. Ask any mother if she would let her 3 or 4 year old child walk to preschool by himself, and of course the mother would look at you like you were crazy. What if he gets kidnapped?

Fear of kidnapping isn't the main reason not to allow a preschooler to walk on the street alone.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 1:34 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Fear of kidnapping isn't the main reason not to allow a preschooler to walk on the street alone.

Fear of kidnapping isn't the reason not to leave your baby unattended on a public street, either.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette