Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Mordechai Shapiro + Riverdance?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 11:03 am
The bridge/chorus/I-don't-know-music-terms in Hakol Mishamayim by Mordechai Shapiro is from...Riverdance?

It's one of my favorite songs but I can't find it on the Riverdance soundtrack. So...maybe it's something else?

Anyone know the original?

JKA

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 3:21 pm
I noticed it too-what a nice surprise in a Jewish song-but it’s more “in the style of” river dance which is really Celtic/Irish etc. Beautiful music genre.

checkbefore

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 4:48 pm
Sounds exactly like one of the songs on Lord of the Dance.

JKA

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:04 pm
You’re right. Siamsa. Interesting.

studying_torah

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:23 pm
Never heard this song, but years ago Gabey did his song in an irish/celtic style ; I was pretty surprised actually how accepted it was

bigsis144

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:29 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Never heard this song, but years ago Gabey did his song in an irish/celtic style ; I was pretty surprised actually how accepted it was

I remember the bagpipes in the intro and bridge but the rest of the song was very standard yeshivish... at most weddings the bagpipe part is played on a saxophone

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 2:13 am
studying_torah wrote:
What about a genre of music would not be accepted? It wasnt like he was rapping vulgarity or something like that, it was just the beat of the song really.

Choirmistress

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 10:29 am
Hi, OP.
I think the instrumental "chorus" you're talking about IS not, but matches the chord structure and rhythm of, "Lord of the Dance", which was (and very well may still be) one of Riverdance's best-known numbers. It was, however, done mostly to tin flute or similar rather than bagpipes. But I can understand recognizing a similarity.

Here I should inform all readers that I LOVE Celtic music. Have multiple CDs by Celtic Woman, Celtic Thunder, Enya, etc.

You want a Celtic sound done by Yidden?

1. Decades ago I was informed by a classmate who had attended Camp Massada ("up" here in Ontario) that the camp theme song took its tune from "The River is Wide". When she sang it for me, it gave me a totally different sense of the chord structure and thus the mood than when I heard the original on a (Celtic Woman?) album probably only about ten years ago.

2. I LOVE what Yehudah Gilden a"h did with "D'ror Yikrah" on both an Eitz Chayim Toronto choir CD and later on "Harei Yehudah". Same tune, same words, totally different treatment. I like certain elements/features of each of the two versions. Definitely Celtic sounding in both. If anyone is interested, I have translated the z'mirah to that tune into English.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 10:37 am
studying_torah wrote:

There's a pretty big Jewish community in Dublin. Just sayin'.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts