Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I wanted to do this so badly... would it have been ok?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 1:35 pm
I've seen stores when they have a sale write that there will be a babysitter outside the store. There is a post-it with the mom's cell so the sitter can call the mom if the baby won't stop crying.

That's very smart and a win-win situation.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 2:14 pm
Surrendered wrote:
Put yourself in the mothers shoe.

Most of us are mothers on this site and it would never occur to me in a million years to leave my baby unattended while I shop.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 2:16 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I've seen stores when they have a sale write that there will be a babysitter outside the store. There is a post-it with the mom's cell so the sitter can call the mom if the baby won't stop crying.

Thumbs Up

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 2:27 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Most of us are mothers on this site and it would never occur to me in a million years to leave my baby unattended while I shop.

Its occurred to me. Never done it. My biggest concern would be well meaning people like OP trying to teach me a lesson. And police.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 2:33 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Its also a huge potential liability for the store if CVS anything happens while under the care of the babysitter hired by the store. I dont suppose these places have the parents signing waivers before letting rando store worker watch their kid. Maybe I'm wrong.

simba

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 2:33 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Its occurred to me. Never done it. My biggest concern would be well meaning people like OP trying to teach me a lesson. And police.

Is the safety of your child a concern?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 2:43 pm
simba wrote:
Is the safety of your child a concern?

Yes. Am I concerned that in the time that I am in the store a person is going to walk by and harm/take my child - no (other than the 'do gooders'). That my child is going to harm himself? No.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 3:06 pm
why would you put an infant in danger to teach a mother a lesson about not putting her infant in danger. makes no sense

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 3:09 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I was in Brooklyn to get glasses for my very special needs child, and took along my baby. I ended up running some yom tov errands as well.
She is wild and keeps running off, she runs out of the door or into stores 'in an instant'. As much as I try to keep an eye, she's quicker than me.

While running constantly to search for my child, I did ask people to keep an eye at my baby.

So imagine what people think of me, leaving my baby to grab my special needs sweetheart?

I have a special needs child that runs away too and she isn’t verbal so it’s very dangerous. I would never take her with a baby to a store .
I can’t for the life of me understand how someone can leave a baby unsupervised outside a store 🤷🏼‍♀️

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 3:12 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Yes. Am I concerned that in the time that I am in the store a person is going to walk by and harm/take my child - no (other than the 'do gooders'). That my child is going to harm himself? No.

So, exactly how long would it concern you to leave your baby alone?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 3:18 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
So, exactly how long would it concern you to leave your baby alone?

I don't know. I think the limiting factor is more on how long I would reasonably expect the baby to sleep rather than an incremental risk to her safety.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 3:45 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
why would you put an infant in danger to teach a mother a lesson about not putting her infant in danger. makes no sense

I don’t think op should have moved the baby but why is the baby at so much more risk being out alone a few feet down from the store vs right in front? Either way the baby is alone.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 3:58 pm
op here

Thanks for all your replies.

To clarify some details. In the end I stood outside and watched the baby (not easy being that I was with my three little cranky kids). I couldnt bring myself to leave the baby alone like that (she wasnt even in a spot that I could rationalize that she could be seen by the mother if she was looking out of a store window). About five minutes later the mother came rushing out, holding her bags and talking on the phone. She grabbed the stroller and left, I dont think she saw me. The store she came out of let strollers be left inside the store in the front (not that thats great, but I guess better then the street) there wasnt much room left, so I guess she left the stroller outside instead of waiting for a space to open up when someone left.

I didnt go into the store and announce it bec a - I didnt think they'd appreciate it (its not so uncommon for this to happen once in a while) b- I wasnt sure which store it was c- I had a double stroller and the stores were packed - would have been hard for me to get in.

My intention was NEVER move the baby and not watch him. Just move him a drop further and keep an eye on it - it would probably have taken under 30 seconds for the mother to find him.

Anyways ok I get that its not ok to do that, thanks for clarifying . What about leaving some sort of note on the baby? I think that would make a better impression then just trying to find the mother.... or am I suppose to just mind my own business and keep walking when I see this?

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 4:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
r.... or am I suppose to just mind my own business and keep walking when I see this?

Call a cop. That’ll make an impression the mom won’t forget. It’s against the law to leave a child that young unsupervised. Neglect and endangering the welfare of a child.

singleagain

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 4:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Anyways ok I get that its not ok to do that, thanks for clarifying . What about leaving some sort of note on the baby? I think that would make a better impression then just trying to find the mother.... or am I suppose to just mind my own business and keep walking when I see this?

I would either call s cop, or leave a note that says "in the time it took me to leave this note on your baby something bad could have happened to him/her"

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 4:31 pm
Has anyone ever had a Houdini baby who could slip out of a 5 point harness the second you turn your back? Older babies are really good at this, especially if they really want their mama.

For those of you with runners, get a back pack with a leash! I don't care if people give you dirty looks. Just think about your child running into traffic, instead of running into the next store, or hiding in the back of the store like it's a big game.

If your kid is faster than you are, and isn't old enough or capable enough to have common sense, then you are responsible for keeping them safe and by your side at all times.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 4:47 pm
We had such a thread once
Marina said just leave a Hershey bar in the stroller

professor

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 4:51 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
We had such a thread once
Marina said just leave a Hershey bar in the stroller

LOL love this idea!!! Perfect in every way! Applause
But reading this thread made me feel bad. People judging others. Not nice

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was shopping with my kids the other day. We were walking on a street full of stores, and outside some stores were some empty strollers (nothing unusual as they can't always fit inside). As we were passing we heard crying and saw that one of the strollers had a baby about idk maybe a year old. My two year old went over and stuck the baby's pacifier into his mouth to help calm him down and then offered him some of his snack (which then told him he couldn't do). I was so angry that someone could do that.I had SUCH a strong desire to take the stroller and just move it a little further or into the driveway just to scare the mother alittle. But couldn't decide if that would be ok to do. What do you guys think?

I think that parent that left the baby outside alone deserves to be arrested to endangering welfare of a child and neglect. There are plenty of childless couples who’d give their left arms to have a baby and wouldn’t take it for granted.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:18 pm
Surrendered wrote:
The store might have a policy of No strollers in store.
The baby was probably sleeping peacefully while the mother ran in for a minute to return an item. Or she shopped, but kept coming out every few minutes to check on the baby.
Do not move someone else's baby.
You can go in and speak to the mother, how dangerous it is to leave baby unattended.

I think it’s disgusting and pathetic to justify what that parent did,
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette