Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
I wanted to do this so badly... would it have been ok?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:22 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Oh for heaven's sake! Store policy!

I once went into a store where the saleswoman said that to me. I was NOT walking out after I schlepped there and heaved that overweight car seat out of the car. I smiled and said My policy is I don't leave my children unattended. And I gave her a look and pushed my carriage through. She didn't say a word. I have no idea about the laws of commerce, but if cake stores face lawsuits when they have a policy not to serve gays, then I think clothing stores can't have policies that they don't serve carriage-pushing moms.

The stores have a point though. I think it’s awfaul when you can’t walk through the aisle because it’s blocked by carriages and that just happened to me recently.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:24 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
The obvious answer is to put the baby in a sling when you can't take a stroller into the store.

Another thing I think is awful and I just saw it again today is a mother walking with a baby in stroller and a toddler walking next to her and she’s looking down only at her phone. It’s disgusting. Ladies take care of your kids and pay attention to them when you’re walking in the street not to your phone.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:25 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Yes. Am I concerned that in the time that I am in the store a person is going to walk by and harm/take my child - no (other than the 'do gooders'). That my child is going to harm himself? No.

Then you better wake up quick,

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:20 pm
I’m just trying to understand the people who say to call the police (I get it I wouldn’t either leave my kids outside the store either) but what are you trying to do to the mother? Getting police and CPS involved? If you are really concerned for the child’s safety then yes wait with the child until the mother comes out and tell the mother in a concerned voice (not a judgmental one) “hey I was really concerned for this beautiful neshama to be left outside all by them self’s. I know our lives are busy but maybe we can figure out another solution rather than leaving your child outside alone, because I just want what’s best for you and your child (something along those lines.) I feel like that will be more effective and the mother will probably be more receptive. Dunno the whole scare tactic and threatening mothers for some reason doesn’t be sit well with me

simba

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:31 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Yes. Am I concerned that in the time that I am in the store a person is going to walk by and harm/take my child - no (other than the 'do gooders'). That my child is going to harm himself? No.

Neglectful behavior.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:31 pm
Because a parent who does that will get angry and self defensive and won't listen to a word you say. Will probably start screaming and create a scene.
BTDT
My concern is for the innocent child who was knowingly left in an unsafe situation. If the parent has to learn the hard way then that is what it takes. Unfortunately. And parenting class 101 is clearly warranted.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:37 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Another thing I think is awful and I just saw it again today is a mother walking with a baby in stroller and a toddler walking next to her and she’s looking down only at her phone. It’s disgusting. Ladies take care of your kids and pay attention to them when you’re walking in the street not to your phone.

You can try to be dan l'kaf zechus about that.

I don't normally have my phone out all the time when I'm out and about with my family but we're dealing with a medical crisis in the family and you better believe I check my phone when it beeps these days.

Boca00

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 8:40 pm
Amother Cyan--
Years ago, in a really safe neighborhood, my aunt was leaving her house with her baby when she realized she forgot something inside. She debated for a second leaving her baby in the stroller while she ran in because he was already strapped in, but then decided she should just bring him in with her. When she returned a minute later, her stroller was gone.

ora_43

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 2:51 am
Boca00 wrote:
Amother Cyan--
Years ago, in a really safe neighborhood, my aunt was leaving her house with her baby when she realized she forgot something inside. She debated for a second leaving her baby in the stroller while she ran in because he was already strapped in, but then decided she should just bring him in with her. When she returned a minute later, her stroller was gone.

The odds that the person who stole a stroller would have stolen a stroller with a baby in it are extremely low. A stroller is a lightweight item that can be quickly sold for drug money, and cheap enough that police won't bother to track it down. Stealing a baby = massive manhunt + high likelihood of a lifetime in prison, with the reward being a human child that needs constant care and attention.

ora_43

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 2:57 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Then you better wake up quick,

She's not the one ignoring reality.

There are reasons not to leave a baby alone. But the hysteria over kidnapping here is just absurd. Amother-Cyan is right that it's incredibly rare that a person would want to steal a baby at all, let alone actually try to steal a random stranger's baby in broad daylight.

You put your baby in more danger every time you cross the street.

Again, not saying people should leave their babies alone. But the main problem with it is the chance of the baby waking up alone, in a strange place, and being afraid - not the near-zero chance that an insane child-snatcher will pass by at exactly that moment.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 7:26 am
It's actually illegal in the US. People have been arrested.
Even if the thought of a possible kidnapping doesn't worry you--
What if the the stroller gets knocked over and the baby gets it's head knocked into. What the baby gets stung by a bee. What if the baby's blanket gets stuck on it's face and it suffocates. What if the baby starts to cry and a well meaning passerby gives it a candy and it chokes. There are weirdos out there even if they don't mean to kidnap a child. Etc etc
I am truly wondering just why people are trying to defend this. Just why?

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 9:41 am
ora_43 wrote:
She's not the one ignoring reality.

There are reasons not to leave a baby alone. But the hysteria over kidnapping here is just absurd. Amother-Cyan is right that it's incredibly rare that a person would want to steal a baby at all, let alone actually try to steal a random stranger's baby in broad daylight.

You put your baby in more danger every time you cross the street.

Again, not saying people should leave their babies alone. But the main problem with it is the chance of the baby waking up alone, in a strange place, and being afraid - not the near-zero chance that an insane child-snatcher will pass by at exactly that moment.

Yes, this is were I am coming from.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:49 am
That doesn't mean it's ok. And that doesn't mean it is risk free. Or even legal.

simba

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:52 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Yes, this is were I am coming from.

Neglectful and irresponsible nonetheless.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 12:01 pm
This is not about statistics! All it would take is one crazy person! Seriously would you leave your purse unattended on the street? Didn’t think so.
Once I left an older/old enough child in my locked car while I ran in to pick up something in a very safe neighborhood. When I came out a cop was there - he told me never to do that- when I asked why he said there’d been a rash of molestations and the like in the area which is why he was patrolling that area-
Unbeknownst to me who lived in that area- he was very nice about it but cautioned me saying people have no idea what can go in even in safe areas and to err on the side of caution.

professor

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 12:21 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
This is not about statistics! All it would take is one crazy person! Seriously would you leave your purse unattended on the street? Didn’t think so.

You really can't talk for everyone. I did. Many times. As I am sure others have as well, if they are normal human beings who make mistakes.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 12:43 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

I am truly wondering just why people are trying to defend this. Just why?

Because it's a common practice in frum neighborhoods and we don't ever want to admit that something frum people take for granted could possibly be wrong, stupid or dangerous. That would threaten our sense of superiority.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette