Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teacher appreciation thread

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:29 pm
I am a disappointed by the threads today picking on teachers. I would like to applaud a special teacher who gave me lifelong confidence.

I was a nerdy girl who was bullied. Somewhere along the way I went from an ugly duckling to a cute swarm. No one told me except this teacher. My teacher gave me the courage and the confidence to stand up to my bullies and to look in the mirror and really see myself.

My teacher is long retired, and I never said thank you.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:38 pm
As a teacher thanks for this thread.

The shaitel thread in particular really got to me - I mean, come on, after all I do for your child, you also want to tell me which style I should wear my shaitel in??

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:44 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
As a teacher thanks for this thread.

The shaitel thread in particular really got to me - I mean, come on, after all I do for your child, you also want to tell me which style I should wear my shaitel in??

It's outrageous and controlling.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:48 pm
I will say that I was blessed with caring teachers besides for one.
I had one teacher take me under her wing and kept me grounded throughout high school by being there for me even at 2 am. I had her cell phone number and knew that it was ok to reach out to her if I felt the need. If not for her I probably wouldn’t be alive today , because I was desperate to run away from home and she gave me the belief in myself that I can get through the nisyonos Hashem was sending me.
She took me to the wedding hall on my wedding day (even though she was much older than me and not yet married or engaged). She decorated a tehillim in white satin, lace and pearls so that I could use before the chuppah. I thanked her through out high school but she never wanted to take credit for what she did.

My sister had three teachers , first , second and third grade who took her home with them after school every day so that she could “help” them with their kids and supper. They fed her and did homework with her . All married women with babies who literally walked in the door with her after their long day of teaching . I would go and pick her up at about 7:30 every day. This was probably a way to give her an extra dose of love and care that she was not getting at home. Sadly, she only has anger about those days. For her these are negative memories.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 6:49 pm
My oldest DC started kindergarten in school this year. The morah gives off the most loving and warm vibes. From the moment I stepped foot into orientation I knew this DC would have a phenomenal year. Here are 2 poems she sent home.

Kindergarten:
When children come home at the end of the day,
The question theyre asked as they scrurry and play is,
"Tell me what did you do today ?"
And the answer they give makes you sigh with dismay
"Nothing, I did nothing today "
Perhaps that means that I played with the blocks,
Counted to ten, and played with the trucks
Maybe I painted a picture of red and blue,
Or headd a story about a mouse that flew,
Maybe I watched the fish eat today,
Or went outside on the swing to play,
Maybe today was the very first time,
That my scissors followed a very straight line,
Maybe I led a song from beginning to end,
Or played with a special brand new friend,
When youre only 4 or almost 5 and your heart has wings,
Nothing can mean so many things!

Whose child is this?

"Whose child is this" I asked one day
Seeing a little one out at plah
"Mine" said the parent with a tender smile
Mine to keep for a little while
To bathe his hands and comb his hair
To tell him what he is to wear
To prepare him that he may always be good
And each day do the things he should

"Whose child is this" I ask again
As the door opened and someone cane in
"Mine" said the teacher with the same tender smile
Mine to keep for a little while
To teach him how to be gentle and kind
To train and direct his dear little mind
To help hin live by every rule
And get the best he can from school

"Whose child is this" I asked once more
Just as the little one entered the door
"Ours" said the parent and teacher as the smiled
And took the hands of this little child
Ours to love and train together
Ours, this blessed task forever

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:03 pm
Nice idea, Squishy! It's about time we thank the unsung heroes who took our kids under their wing so we didn't have to home school them!

To every teacher that ever taught any of my kids... Thank you. I know some of you were great, some of you were just punching a time card, and a small number even hated the job.

Take it from me. Even as a mother, we all lose our patience sometimes, we all make mistakes sometimes, and we all wish we had a do-over sometimes. But together, we both raised our kids. And how dare I ever fault you for something I myself am sometimes guilty of! You and I molded my children and for that I am forever thankful!!

Thank you! Keep up your terrific work!!

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:14 pm
I need to thank my 12th grade tehillim teacher who always had time for me, even a few years after school.
I cannot recall her name but she was truly kind & caring!
Miss Einhorn in machon made the most dull stories come alive & was also extremely kind to me when I was struggling a lot.
I kept my journal from her class for years because of the nice comments she wrote, until it sadly got lost.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:36 pm
the kindergarten at my kids school also gives out that handout. wonder if same school or its a kindergarten thing Wink

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:46 pm
Ok I’ll just appreciate myself as a teacher!! I started in a new school and a new grade this year. I am putting. In endless (!) hours preparing and having each student in mind.
I practice endless (!) patience to listen to them and to repeat myself as many times needed.
I try to smile every day and appreciate every yummy girl and see her kochas,
And..... my sheitel is not in my face so I can open my eyes reaaaally big when a girl does something she shouldn’t.

So I’m patting myself on the back and begging(!) Hashem each day that please it should go well and I should chas vesholem not hurt any of His precious kids

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:53 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I need to thank my 12th grade tehillim teacher who always had time for me, even a few years after school.
I cannot recall her name but she was truly kind & caring!
Miss Einhorn in machon made the most dull stories come alive & was also extremely kind to me when I was struggling a lot.
I kept my journal from her class for years because of the nice comments she wrote, until it sadly got lost.

The 12th grade Tehillim teacher (I think her name was Scharf) was such a nice person!
I didn't have Miss Einhorn but everyone who had her really liked her!

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 7:56 pm
I am sending my 18 month old to a Gan this year. He was at a babysitter last year but this is much more of a preschool environment. This week he was home sick Monday-Wednesday and today when my husband dropped him off he ran to give his Morah a hug. It makes me so happy that he's in a place where he loves his Morahs and despite being not cuddly at all wanted to give her a hug

Rixter

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 8:31 pm
I was greatly impacted by so many of my teachers and owe alot of who I am today to them. I still keep in touch with a few from high school and seminary. I decided that I also want to have such an impact on kids lives so now I myself am a teacher due to the inspiration from my amazing role model teachers!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 9:06 pm
Anon because I wrote an article about this Rebbe in one of the magazines. My son has special needs and I was terrified to transition him from his special needs school to yeshiva. His Rebbe was the most warm, caring, devoted Rebbe. I have countless stories about the entire yeshiva, from the Menahel to the bus driver who went out more than once in the freezing cold, late at night, to search the bus when he left his equipment. To any teachers reading this, I know it can be annoying when one kid takes so much energy but our appreciation knows no bounds. And to all those Lakewood bashers, this is a Lakewood school Smile

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 9:26 pm
Had a teacher in 12th grade who reached out to me. She taught me how to trust, exposed me to healthy relationships, and encouraged me to express my emotions instead of burying them. We are still in touch today, and she is still happy to provide a listening ear, encouragement and practical advice as needed. I would look very different today if not for her and I am incredibly grateful.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:42 pm
No not sharf, maybe singer .... I'm not sure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics