Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Husband leaving kollel, what to expect
Previous  1  2

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 6:52 pm
Is there an option for you to work full time?
Does your husband have any job leads or ideas of where to start? Does the field he is interested in require any training?
It's not easy to get that first job when you have no experience.
Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oy. It's no way an option for him not to be bringing in a steady paycheck from the first month we are there.

Can he do some training or schooling while you are still in Israel then? It’s not realistic imho to immediately start earning a decent salary out of kollel with no experience degree or family connections.

skyblue

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:20 pm
Op can you PM me? May have some leads for you

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We don't know what he's doing yet, thats what this post is about Smile
We are considering Monsey, Waterbury, and Chicago. Does that help?

Monsey and Chicago are both expensive communities to live in. Why not look more out of town where expenses might be less.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:45 pm
From what I've heard, Waterbury doesn't have a ton of job opportunities. But I guess it depends on the field.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 7:56 pm
I don't know anything about Waterbury, was just commenting about the other 2 places since I am familiar with both of them.

Anyways, hatzlacha OP.. I would not make a move until at least you or your husband has a job. I would probably start with a pilot trip and go for interviews.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:16 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
To answer the nursing home question. First year (AIT) admin in Training no money. After that I think 85k approx

That's on the east coast. In other cities (Chicago for sure) AITs are paid. Not a huge salary but not peanuts either.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:35 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Monsey and Chicago are both expensive communities to live in. Why not look more out of town where expenses might be less.

True. Though Chicago is cheaper than Monsey. And has a lot of job opportunities a smaller community might not have. If he is interested in nursing home admin, Chicago is the land of nursing homes. Not sure how easy it is to break into the industry though, a lot of them are family businesses who employ their kids and friend's kids. But definitely worth researching. Chicago also has a tremendous amount of chessed and assistance for low income families. If you do look to move to Chicago, I'd definitely suggest West Rogers Park (specifically South of Pratt). That is the cheaper part of town.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:36 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
True. Though Chicago is cheaper than Monsey. And has a lot of job opportunities a smaller community might not have. If he is interested in nursing home admin, Chicago is the land of nursing homes. Not sure how easy it is to break into the industry though, a lot of them are family businesses who employ their kids and friend's kids. But definitely worth researching. Chicago also has a tremendous amount of chessed and assistance for low income families. If you do look to move to Chicago, I'd definitely suggest West Rogers Park (specifically South of Pratt). That is the cheaper part of town.

Even cheaper is you go to the part of West Rogers Park that is both south of Pratt and east of California.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 8:42 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Even cheaper is you go to the part of West Rogers Park that is both south of Pratt and east of California.

True, though she really has to do thorough research, she might not have much of a Chevra east of California.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jul 07 2019, 10:45 pm
A pilot trip would be a good idea.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 9:11 am
Monsey, Waterbury, Chicago:

Please factor in tuition expense in each city.

Also, everyone's financial life is a secret recipe.

Wishing much Hatzlocha!

miami85

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 11:42 am
Important frame of mind I wanted to share. When this happened to us we thought "ok doubling income=more comfort" but I think it was actually tighter. We made the decision for my husband to go to work after we lost our medicaid eligibilty by a measly $3K per year, and my work-based insurance was prohibitive. But that meant we had to get a 2nd car+gas+insurance+maintenance of the vehicle+ezpass (and he even carpooled a few days a week). Meant more reliance on babysitting b/c my husband wasn't available to stay home on days off from school/preschool/sick days + longer hours . More reliance on disposables and easy to prepare foods. More reliance on cleaning help b/c my husband would straighten up during bein hasedarim. He would also take a nap, which meant when he came home from work he was more exhausted and therefore evenings were more taxing on me. Doubling income can change your tax bracket, though you do often get that back at Tax time, but each paycheck goes down b/c you have to put more in for mandatory deductions.

This is also some what less tangible, I feel like our debt grew more rapidly once my husband was working, not sure if it was because of "expectation" or just because the "protection of kollel"--kind of annanei hakavod were not longer there. Like things seemed to break more often, or get lost, or kids got sick etc. Schools expected higher contributions, more maaser to give etc. We also lost our "kollel benefit" at some local stores.

Not saying "don't bother working" but a paradigm shift to realize that it wont be an immediate reprieve financially.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 11:51 am
My DH works in the nursing home industry. As someone else said, you need a BA and the AIT is a year or two of no pay. Administrators can make a nice salary (70K - 100K) but jobs are hard to come by, and many have very long commutes.

You DH should meet with a career coach, take an altitude test, and figure out what he’s going to do so you can move to an area that will make sense and you’ll come somewhat prepared.

Be aware that even if he goes straight to work and does not pursue a degree or some kind of training, the middle class crunch is tough. This means that if you’re making enough not to be eligible for programs you’ll probably come home with less after taxes and expenses than a kollel couple on programs. That said, if you rough it out for a few years and the job has growth eventually you get over that hump and then you’ll have financial freedom.

Eselle13

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 11:58 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
That's on the east coast. In other cities (Chicago for sure) AITs are paid. Not a huge salary but not peanuts either.

My husband just did this a year ago and is working to become a nursing home administrator.
We live in the tristate area.

There are 2 ways to do this.
The first way is not to bring in a salary for a year and learn/work as an assistant administrator.

The second way is to bring home a basic salary - $40,000/year for 2 years and work as a AIT - administrator in training. You can get a raise during this time as you become more valuable to the company you are working for.

It sorts of averages out - either you don't make anything the first year and you make double the next or you make half across 2 years. If you need the income, try for the version across 2 years.

Beware that either of these types of jobs are not so easy to come by especially in places that a lot of people are looking for the same job (like Lakewood)

I don't feel comfortable saying more under my screen name but I'm happy to answer any questions you have if you PM me.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:44 pm
OP I’m on the same boat here. Can you tell me about a career coach?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:46 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
OP I’m on the same boat here. Can you tell me about a career coach?

In Lakewood PCS offers career coaching for free and they’re very good.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 6:02 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
In Lakewood PCS offers career coaching for free and they’re very good.

We tried that route many times. DH took courses by them and spoke to them countless of times. Nothing Sad
I’m at my wits end already. He’s been home for 5 months doing almost nothing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics