Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What makes a parent get the parent of the year award?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 8:29 pm
I see in many Jewish day schools they hold a dinner and honor someone as parent of the year. What makes someone get the parent of the year award?

Einikel

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 8:31 pm
Someone that knows a lot of people and will raise a lot of $ for the school.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 8:32 pm
Likelihood they will attract people to purchase tickets to the dinner.

1ofbillions

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 8:35 pm
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 8:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I see in many Jewish day schools they hold a dinner and honor someone as parent of the year. What makes someone get the parent of the year award?

The ability to bring in donations and their connections to wealthy people.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 9:19 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I was going to say the same thing but with fewer dollar signs because I don't have so much patience Tongue Out

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 9:20 pm
The parent that chauffeurs their kids back and forth to tutoring all afternoon, to school mandated therapytwice a week, school suggested extra curricular activities every evening? I don't know what else can be so deserving.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:04 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
The parent that chauffeurs their kids back and forth to tutoring all afternoon, to school mandated therapytwice a week, school suggested extra curricular activities every evening? I don't know what else can be so deserving.

Halevai that we were so altruistic.

The big fat dollar signs are king, though.

happyone

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:05 pm
like the others said. It's only money driving these dinner awards.

cm

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:28 pm
The dinner is a fundraiser. Honorees are chosen to maximize the outcome - this includes inspiring people to donate in honor of well-respected peers. It is also an opportunity to acknowledge several kinds of contribution. The organizations with which I am familiar, including schools, name several honorees. One (or one couple) will certainly be a major donor who can raise a lot of money for the fundraiser, and who is deeply involved with the organization. Another will be someone who is a dedicated volunteer. A third category will include youth volunteers or "unsung heros."

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:41 pm

The parents of the year are also be dedicated in addition to wealthy. The price for parent of the year is $25,000 at one of my schools. You can pay at once or over time.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:53 pm
In our Yeshiva they will honor any parent who gives $100,00 towards the deficit.

It may be given in installments.

Thank goodness we have these people to help our yeshivas stay open.

(Trust me, plenty of them struggle with their kids too.

everybody stay calm. These people have their stories of heartache and pain.)

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:59 pm
It’s people who are well connected to the people with the money. If you work in a field with lots of business connections, if you are popular and have lots of connections with the right people, or if you have very wealthy immediate and extended family and friends.
It has nothing to do with your parenting skills or devotion to your children.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 11:44 pm
Parent of the year has nothing to do with parenting your own children. It is the parents who contribute to the school. It is a combination of financial donors/ who can get donations & attract people to the dinner, and do a LOT for the school-board members/PTA president/volunteer all the time (run the book fair, the Chanukah chagigah, & the prePesach car wash).
I have never been that parent but I have nothing but respect and admiration for them.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 6:25 am
omg

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 6:27 am
Ruchel wrote:
omg

Curious. What surprised you?

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The vast majority of the time the school or organization chooses their honorees if they’re wealthy/and or know, and will invite many (wealthy) people. It’s all about who will bring in the most money.

I’ll never forget the time my son’s Yeshiva was honoring a certain couple, and they had to find something to say about how the wife helped the Yeshiva, so they told her to come Serve lunch in the Yeshiva one day, and then at the dinner they described her as such a wonderful helpful parent “who serves lunch in the Yeshiva,”

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:26 pm

Nope. Not even close. Only money.

zaq

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 8:53 pm
Seashell, the parent of the year award you describe is the one you hope to get from your children when they become parents and start to appreciate what you did for them.

The whole point of being a dinner honoree, be it POTY or Kesser Shem Tov Community Service Award or Harry Potter Muggle Maven Award is to bring in money. Not that the honorees don’t do anything else for the school —most of them do—but without the money they would not get the recognition.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 9:15 pm
My mother was honored one tear at school. We don't have wealthy family though we do have a large family. My mother was very involved in the school. Volunteered a lot. But I assume every school is different.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics