Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO Balanced Pediatrician in Brooklyn

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:04 am
I don't know what the best way is to title this - I am open to suggestions!

I am 19 weeks pregnant with my first, and am (right here, right now!) starting my search for a pediatrician.

When I say balanced, I mean someone in between medically conservative and totally crunchy. I believe that antibiotics are over-prescribed, but obviously the best choice in some situations. I want to try homeopathic things, but also believe in the appropriate use of pharmaceuticals. I am not anti-vax, but I do want to give vaccinations on a delayed schedule, and might not want to give certain vaccinations. I'm not looking to skip anything that is state mandated, so no worries on that front. I need a Dr. who is agreeable to doing things outside the norm and who I can trust to help me navigate decisions!

I don't know if I feel it's important to have a Yid or not – open to opinions in either direction.

I live in Sunset Park, by NYU Langone Brooklyn (used to be Lutheran) Hospital. The convenience of having a Dr. there would be amazing, but my experience is that the wait times are intolerable. I am willing to travel, but am not sure how far it is feasible to have to travel with a baby? I work in Eastern BP, so anything near the B11 (49th and 50th streets) route is easiest for me. I have a car, but prefer not to drive because parking is total madness. I would also consider going into Park Slope or Bay Ridge, as it is pretty easy by subway.

Please, please, please do not comment just to disagree with me or fight about vaccinations. I am just looking for recommendations and different people's experiences with pediatricians. If you don't agree with what I am looking for, and want to discuss or scold, or anything like that, I have preemptively started a spin-off thread just for this purpose! S/O ISO Balacned Pediatrician in Brooklyn

Thanks a million!

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:30 am
seems like Dr Madhu Rajaram would fit well to what youre looking for.

shes located on Ave I by Ocean Parkway and the B11 stops in front of her office

polka dots

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:36 am
Most “regular” pediatricians are balanced. They don’t “push” antibiotics and steroids. The ones I’ve used usually don’t suggest giving antibiotics for every little thing. It’s very normal for doctors these days to say not to give for an ear infection but to wait a bit to see if it will go away alone. A good pediatrician will understand that overusing drugs is not good. I’ve had many times doctors suggesting vitamins and probiotics as part of healing.

Edited when saw you did a spin off, I’ll comment there

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:49 am
polka dots wrote:
Most “regular” pediatricians are balanced. They don’t “push” antibiotics and steroids. The ones I’ve used usually don’t suggest giving antibiotics for every little thing. It’s very normal for doctors these days to say not to give for an ear infection but to wait a bit to see if it will go away alone. A good pediatrician will understand that overusing drugs is not good. I’ve had many times doctors suggesting vitamins and probiotics as part of healing.

Edited when saw you did a spin off, I’ll comment there

Thank you, I will be happy to respond more on the spin-off thread. For now, let me say that (while I obviously have no experience with pediatricians) my experience with my own health problems is that many Dr.s are too quick to throw medications at a problem, and do not want to discuss options. I have had antibiotics and steroids pushed on me, along with many other things. Agree that a "good" Dr. will not do this, but my experience is that many are not "good," and many parents don't yet know that this is "bad". That is why I specify in my post what I am looking for. It seems like you have had good experiences with pediatricians – do you have any specific recommendations?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 9:16 pm
Bumping for hopefully more options!

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 9:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bumping for hopefully more options!

If you skip vaccines you will have to homeschool.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 9:27 pm
Are you looking for an obgyn?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:06 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
If you skip vaccines you will have to homeschool.

Only if I skip state mandated vaccines, which I don't plan to. I'll update the OP to include this info.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:07 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Are you looking for an obgyn?

No, a pediatrician. Starting the search early! Smile Any ideas?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Only if I skip state mandated vaccines, which I don't plan to. I'll update the OP to include this info.

The only non mandated for babies (as of now) are Hep A and rotavirus but they want more and more mandated ones all the time. Flu is required under 5 for any legal daycare or school program.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:17 pm
Sounds like you want Rajaram. Or more holistic would be Dr. Gabriel but he has a huge waitlist. You can try and might be lucky

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:22 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
The only non mandated for babies (as of now) are Hep A and rotavirus but they want more and more mandated ones all the time. Flu is required under 5 for any legal daycare or school program.

I would prefer to discuss this in the spin off thread, if you want to continue. It really doesn't matter to me right now, since the laws may well be changing at any time. I am looking for a pediatrician who will be willing to do a delayed schedule and maybe skip some vaccinations, if possible. I don't need to decide it all now - part of why I want a Dr. I can trust is to help me make decisons.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would prefer to discuss this in the spin off thread, if you want to continue. It really doesn't matter to me right now, since the laws may well be changing at any time. I am looking for a pediatrician who will be willing to do a delayed schedule and maybe skip some vaccinations, if possible. I don't need to decide it all now - part of why I want a Dr. I can trust is to help me make decisons.

So Dr. Rajaram and Dr. Gabriel. Others will allow you to delay, but arent the least bit holistic

redheaded

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 11:35 pm
I have no experience with him, but I read that Stuart Ditchek, M.D. combines medical care with holistic healing.

I know he specializes in medically fragile patients.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 6:40 am
redheaded wrote:
I have no experience with him, but I read that Stuart Ditchek, M.D. combines medical care with holistic healing.

I know he specializes in medically fragile patients.

He does not allow delaying as far as I know. Very into the CDC schedule.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 12:45 pm
Thanks for all the help, ladies. A midwife recommended Tribeca Pediatrics – does anyone have experience with them? Also, just for future reference, an amother from the S/O thread suggested Dr Yelloz.

Does anyone have other ideas?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics