Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
ASMR- s/o pet peeves and misophonia

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 2:44 pm
Didn't know what category to post under, but after those threads (I, too, can't stand being near chewing, slurping, repetitive noises, etc), I was wondering about the flip side, noises that cause a pleasant sensation. I've had this for as long as I can remember, always described it as "chills" as a kid. No one else I knew had it and my family acted like it was really weird. A few years ago, my dr. gave me a name for it and said 1/1,000 experiences it. I looked it up and was surprised to discover entire online communities and YouTube channels dedicated to this feeling that some people describe as having a brain or**sm.

For me, there's nothing specific that will cause it. Always depends on the circumstance. Someone's voice can do it once and then never again. Paper rustling, etc. I will say that I don't understand this idea of looking for it and watching movies to encourage that sensation. I tried a couple times to see what everyone was talking about, and nothing. It feels too much like p*rn to me for it to be pleasant.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense to those who've never experienced it.

Fox

Post Tue, Feb 27 2018, 4:56 pm
Yup, very common. I've had difficulty falling asleep as long as I remember. I have a bunch of ASMR recordings that really help me relax and dial down my brain.

There are tons of ASMR videos on YouTube, and some of the YouTubers have huge followings. I like soft voices the best, and some of my favorites are Fairy Char, AmalZD, and ASMRista. The last one is an Israeli woman who, among other things, does various crafts while she reads kids' books in Hebrew. I can virtually recite The Sixteenth Sheep verbatim.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 10:23 am
I find those videos awful to listen to.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 11:10 am
I have always felt this way about classical violin music. Just the violin, nothing else. It's more than just appreciating the talent or the composition, it's a full body reaction of pleasure. It's not zexual, it's just like a wave that washes over me and I drift away with it.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 1:06 pm
There are different kinds of ASMR.. I have misophonia (can't stand slurping, chewing, "mouth sounds" etc...) but there are certain types of ASMR that I really enjoy, but I agree with you that a lot of them feel really inappropriate. I like the ones with no talking/makeup sounds like this https://youtu.be/0SOanvZUEyc

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 1:58 pm
It is actually a lot more common than you may realize, I discovered ASMR a few years ago and love watching it since. If you are finding it too sensual, maybe try looking for other videos. There are a lot of content creators out there who make amazing videos, less emphasis on the mouth sounds etc. It is not meant to be a s-xual experience at all! I find it really helps relax me, puts me to sleep, and occasionally gives me the same pleasant feeling you get when someone plays with your hair or gives you chills.
Goodnight Moon ASMR is my favorite.

Water Stones

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 3:51 pm
I listen to computer keyboard typing ASMR. It really help me to sleep. I love it the sound!

mille

Post Thu, Mar 01 2018, 5:39 pm
It drives me nuts to hear ASMR described as "brain org@sm" because it's not se-xual whatsoever. So it shouldn't be related to anything se-xual.

I also enjoy some of these videos - everyone has different triggers. I find whispering videos to be suuuuuper annoying, I hate the whispering. So I look for "no talking" asmr videos - and I particularly am a visual person and like visual stimuli like massages or close up drawing stuff with scratching paper.

It's also something I use to help calm down my anxiety when it's getting difficult for me to fall asleep.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 9:28 pm
How do you find good ASMR audios?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 10:06 pm
I find ASMR creepy, annoying, grating on my ears, giving me anxiety, or mildly inappropriate depending on the video.

There are LOADS of ASMR on youtube for anyone looking. There's even genres of it! People do unboxings and makeup tutorials in ASMR, people organize their room in ASMR, whatever you can imagine it exists in ASMR.

I have nothing against it - I just really hate it. But I have friends super into it - if you enjoy it listen all you want!

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 6:41 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I will say that I don't understand this idea of looking for it and watching movies to encourage that sensation. I tried a couple times to see what everyone was talking about, and nothing.

Not everyone feels it. It depends on the structure of your brain I think.
There's a mini documentary on Netflix explaining all about it if you are interested
A cool thing they mentioned is that it's a legit scientific phenomenon that was "discovered" by internet users before it was identified by neurologists, and it has since been investigated and confirmed as a real thing

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 10:15 am
Never heard of this so I went to YouTube. Most of the sounds were not unpleasant in and of themselves the way the sounds of nails on chalkboard or screeching brakes are unpleasant in and of themselves, so they aren't offensive as brief, one-time background noises. But to listen to them as an end in itself? UGH! Auditory waterboarding.

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 10:17 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Auditory waterboarding.

LOL LOL LOL

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 10:37 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Not everyone feels it. It depends on the structure of your brain I think.
There's a mini documentary on Netflix explaining all about it if you are interested
A cool thing they mentioned is that it's a legit scientific phenomenon that was "discovered" by internet users before it was identified by neurologists, and it has since been investigated and confirmed as a real thing

Funny, I opened this to read and was nodding along with the OP, until I realized OP is me!

The thing is, as I wrote at the beginning of my post, I feel it very strongly. It’s just the the idea of looking at and listening to videos is offputting enough to me for my brain to override that, I guess. Organically, it happens all the time.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 10:27 am
I think the whole video thing just started because of Youtube being a video sharing site, not an audio site.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 12:22 pm
CAN T
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics