Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you wear an item with a skull on it?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:07 am
No. I used to but my taste has changed. I don't like it, no matter how luxe.
(And chances are my kids would ask me why I'm wearing that! They like the flowers and glitter that I currently opt for.)

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:19 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Absolutely not.
If it has a tiny skull on a kids outfit and I otherwise really like the outfit id buy it and cover it.
We? Because of all the reason listed above.

I have a neighbor (kj-monroe) who has no fashion sense-whats-so-ever. She put her almost 2 year old toddler in a shirt that the whole design was skulls with Xs all over. And she was so proud that she bought it so cheap.
It was kinda sad. Her sweet innocent child didn't look Jewish.

At least he is learning about saving money rather than going to Jacadi, henging and brenging, and buying "Jewish" clothes....

Reality

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:41 am
No. Not for myself or my kids. I don't like it.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:41 am
tigerwife wrote:
Why or why not?

Not my style.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:51 am
For Purim, if I was going as a punk rocker. Otherwise, no.

Even in my secular goth days, I wasn't into them. Skulls just don't appeal to me on an aesthetic level.

Now bats, on the other hand, are adorable. Very Happy

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:53 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
At least he is learning about saving money rather than going to Jacadi, henging and brenging, and buying "Jewish" clothes....

What's Jewish about jacadi?

flowerpower

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:54 am
No. It gives me a wicked vibe.

singleagain

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:55 am
If it was a skull from Disney/Pixar's Coco. Yes.
Any other .... Probably not, unless it was super stylized like the Coco one

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:57 am
I wouldn't wear a skull, but I'm not sure why. It just doesn't seem to me to be befitting a Torah observant Jew, I guess. And I am (perhaps too much) cognizant of what I present to others. No judgement, though. You do you!

But I do have a beige pillow with a copper gilt skull with beads and beaded flowers that was given to me by a best friend. I guess I don't care as much what people think of my throw pillow, since the only people who come to my living room already know me pretty well. Smile

moonstone

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:04 am
No, I think it's ugly. But my kids have some t-shirts with skulls on them.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:24 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Absolutely not.
If it has a tiny skull on a kids outfit and I otherwise really like the outfit id buy it and cover it.
We? Because of all the reason listed above.

I have a neighbor (kj-monroe) who has no fashion sense-whats-so-ever. She put her almost 2 year old toddler in a shirt that the whole design was skulls with Xs all over. And she was so proud that she bought it so cheap.
It was kinda sad. Her sweet innocent child didn't look Jewish.

Just wondering if you see your comment about your neighbour as totally judgemental?

Maybe she just doesnt care about fashion or what people think of her as much as you?

OP, I wouldnt wear a big skull on a beanie or on clothing but I wouldnt mind it if it was a small embellishment on an otherwise classy handbag.
Why? Not really sure!

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 6:36 am
tigerwife wrote:
Lol!
I’m thinking more luxe than trashy, like Alexander McQueen.

I LOVE ALEXANDER MCQUEEN Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart
I'm guessing you have a particular item in mind, would you mind sharing a pic?
I might. Only if it looked classy not trashy or gross
I recently bought my daughter a cute tshirt with a design incorporating skulls into a guitar
That was the first skull any of us have worn I think LOL

glamourmom

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 6:53 am
no. cuz of every reason mentioned above. I'm waiting for someone to say yes, with a good reason. I'm curious.

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 6:55 am
glamourmom wrote:
I'm waiting for someone to say yes, with a good reason.

Where my goth girls at?
Glamourmom, people need to justify things they like with a good reason? Rolling Eyes

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 7:21 am
glamourmom wrote:
no. cuz of every reason mentioned above. I'm waiting for someone to say yes, with a good reason. I'm curious.

Its the people who 'opt out' of a trend who need to provide the reason.

Here is mine - I associate skulls with death.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 7:29 am
This thread reminds me of an interesting situation we once had. A close family member was sitting shiva over Purim, and Purim is a weird, in between day, where they weren't allowed to celebrate Purim, but they also weren't sitting shiva. So we decided to go spend time with them. It was a long drive and we finally got there and started getting out of the car when my dh took one look at my ds and said "get back in the car, quick!" His costume was a full skeleton, with a skull mask that I had gotten on clearance after Halloween. Thank goodness we noticed in time and thank goodness he was wearing a shirt and pants under the costume. He got a lot of questions about where his costume was, but at least he didn't walk in to the shiva house wearing a skeleton!

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 7:32 am
glamourmom wrote:

I have no problem with a skull, but I wouldn’t wear something with numerous skulls. Personally, I don’t care what others think, I do what works for me. However, there are many who DO care what others think. So do you really think that those people are going to come here and post in the affirmative, when adjectives like ugly and trashy have been used?

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 7:36 am
dankbar wrote:
The new fashion in the malls, is full skeletons, on clothing, not only skulls. ( Maybe because Halloween is coming up next month) or it's just a new style

I was reading that it was a take off of a movie. They had a $300 skull ring in ther article. Sorry, I can't remember the movie right now.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 7:57 am
I'm 30 (+?) years too old.
And yeah, it's goth, it's ugly, its wearer won't be taken seriously, etc.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 8:07 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Its the people who 'opt out' of a trend who need to provide the reason.

Here is mine - I associate skulls with death.

Say what?
Are we expected to drop everything and pick up on every trend? (!?!?!)
I remember hearing Chana Gilmore, who was pretty enmeshed in the fashion industry, deciding how trends start. One day a big name says, I feel pink this year. And then all the acolytes do pink, that's what's in the stores so it's available and it kind of grows on us. Or at least isn't offensive so if we need something and pink's there, we'll go pink.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics