Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/o rebellious things within halachic framework

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:47 pm
I've always wanted a belly piercing, my husband's okay with me getting one. does any one know of a clean place in Brooklyn to get one? thank you

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:24 am
This isn't withi a halachic framework

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:33 am
Ruchel wrote:

Wait...why not?

amother
Black

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've always wanted a belly piercing, my husband's okay with me getting one. does any one know of a clean place in Brooklyn to get one? thank you

The people I know who did it just googled piercing and tattoo places. They made an appointment, requested that it be done in a private room by a woman and asked them also when their quiet hours are. Perhaps you can find a place that does privately, or someone who wouldn't mind opening shop earlier or later when no one else is around.

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:37 am
I think it would be fine by tzniut as long as the person doing the piercing is female.

OP is specifically looking for a clean place, so she wouldn't be over on vemeod shamartem Al nafshechem

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 8:30 am
Ruchel wrote:

Do you have a source for that? I know that there's nothing wrong with ear or nose piercing, because they are mentioned in the Torah.

The only problem with a navel piercing that I know if, is if you have to take it out for the mikvah. If it's a permanent part of your body, some rabbis say it can stay in. Other rabbis say you have to take it out and clean the hole.

Navel piercings take a long time to heal. If you take the ring out too soon, you risk it closing (it can close really fast!) or getting an infection from the water. It takes several months for a navel ring to heal completely.

Not only that, but most types of jewelry, unless it has a threaded bead that can be easily removed, are very hard to take out. Getting the jewelry back into a partially healed hole can rip delicate skin and hurt like crazy.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:57 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
I think it would be fine by tzniut as long as the person doing the piercing is female.

OP is specifically looking for a clean place, so she wouldn't be over on vemeod shamartem Al nafshechem

The correct quote is venishmartem meod lenafshotechem.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 11:58 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Do you have a source for that? I know that there's nothing wrong with ear or nose piercing, because they are mentioned in the Torah.

The only problem with a navel piercing that I know if, is if you have to take it out for the mikvah. If it's a permanent part of your body, some rabbis say it can stay in. Other rabbis say you have to take it out and clean the hole.

Navel piercings take a long time to heal. If you take the ring out too soon, you risk it closing (it can close really fast!) or getting an infection from the water. .

Glad I had my ears pierced when I was single.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 12:02 pm
I think what OP means is that she wants to act out her rebellious nature without violating halacha. Unlike tattooing, body piercing, while clearly not a frum thing, is not an explicit issur mideoraita, although it might in fact be prohibited under the rubric of chukat akum. AYLOR.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics