Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
S/O, No strollers allowed in stores

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 4:39 pm
This thread got me thinking. What about people in wheelchairs? Does the ADA cover access, and what are the rules? Does access only apply to stores that are over a certain number of square feet, or a certain number of employees?

Several years ago I had a major abdominal surgery, and while I was recovering I needed to do a lot of shopping for yomtov clothing. I could walk a little bit, but even crossing the parking lot was difficult. I had a friend with me, and she got me a wheelchair from the mall customer service so she could push me around.

I was at a large mall, and many of the stores were running sales, so the racks were so jammed together that I couldn't get into at least half of them. I was really upset and frustrated. I can only imagine how it must feel if you needed a wheelchair for life, and not just for a month of recovery. So much of the world is closed off to you, all because of isles that are too narrow.

If you own a store, or manage a store, please keep disabled people in mind when you decide where to arrange your racks. Believe me, the disability community has a huge network, and people TALK.

If your store is accessible, you'll be getting promotion like crazy. If it's not, you'll be hearing more vents like mine, but possibly with more colorful language.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 4:48 pm
There was a guy years ago who went around suing all the local stores because he couldn't get in. He literally had a pile of lawsuits as he went up and down the avenues and streets, each store one by one

Eta: Here's a link to a new article about it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/n...../amp/

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 5:10 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
There was a guy years ago who went around suing all the local stores because he couldn't get in. He literally had a pile of lawsuits as he went up and down the avenues and streets, each store one by one

Eta: Here's a link to a new article about it

https://www.google.com/amp/s/n...../amp/

What a chilul hashem! Sad to read.
He probably thinks he's being nice to all the handicapped people out there.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Sep 19 2019, 8:38 pm
This makes no sense. He looks like a normal chassidish guy, but it says, "As for the non-kosher restaurants, Hirsch, who lives with his girlfriend and their daughter, said he’d like to be able to enjoy a soda or even a scotch. And he wants to be able to visit a strip club if he chooses."

Sounds very frum.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 1:08 am
I know someone in a wheelchair permanently. She was born with legs that she just can't move. Currently a very independant 21 year old, and yes shopping in frum areas is very much impossible for her.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 8:21 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
What a chilul hashem! Sad to read.
He probably thinks he's being nice to all the handicapped people out there.

It's hard to know what his true intentions are. They do seem on the shady side, but maybe he does think he's a do gooder.

I like this solution: Rep. Duncan Hunter, a Southern California Republican, has proposed legislation that would provide notices to businesses about possible ADA violations before a lawsuit is launched.

It should never be about collecting money in lawsuits, it should be about enforcing codes that already exist. As long as the accommodations are made, I don't think the business should be penalized.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 8:51 am
I do understand the stores though. A lot of them have tiny storefronts that barely fit their merchandise so understandably they're stuffed to the brim

southernbubby

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 8:53 am
The rent on urban stores is so high that if there is not enough merchandise per square foot, the price of the merchandise goes up and many disabled people can't afford higher prices either.
Maybe the answer is for the person in the wheelchair to tell a worker to bring them a selection of clothing to choose from while they park near the register.
Even if stores and restaurants have wheelchair accessible entrances, all bets are off at times when the establishment is crowded and busy or when several people in wheelchairs come at the same time.
I am shocked and annoyed that a local NJ attraction, Demarest Farms, doesn't have bathrooms for the patrons, many of whom eat lunch there but are expected to use filthy porta potties which are not conducive to bringing anyone elderly or infirm. We only bring the kids until they need the bathroom but the fruits, drinks and snacks, as well as some activities, cost plenty.
What I am trying to say is that not all venues are required to be wheelchair accessible and even those who are can't always control the volume of people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics