Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
New square

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 1:29 am
does anyone know of a directory of stores in new square? (clothing, accessories, grocery shopping etc?)

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 2:10 am
New Square is all of a few blocks. They have one shopping strip then a few scattered stores mostly in people's basements.

There is a small grocery store where you enter the village called Madanim

There is a heimishe bakery Taam Eden.

There's Braun Juvenile Furniture

There's a Toy store.

I don't live there so don't know more details or more info of different stores

I have seen signs of Mazel Tov gift shop.
Mango mens store. Don't know if still exists.

Jewishfoodie

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 3:24 am
dankbar wrote:
New Square is all of a few blocks. They have one shopping strip then a few scattered stores mostly in people's basements.

There's a Toy store.

You just blew my mind! New Square is a few blocks?! I thought it was this sprawling enclave! Holy cow! I learned something new today!

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:42 am
New square is in spring Valley. Everyone shops in Monsey, though there are some stores in new square.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 6:09 am
The Monsey View and The Monsey Community Connections have their weekly ad books online and some of the ads are from New Square businesses. There is a place there that sells small appliances at reasonable prices.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 8:13 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
You just blew my mind! New Square is a few blocks?! I thought it was this sprawling enclave! Holy cow! I learned something new today!

Depends what you call big or small, in relevance to which other area?

The people living there say it's big, because it extended & doubled in size in the last few years. I still look at it as small.

If you use the main ave, just to walk down from one end to finish, I would say wouldn't take you more than 15-20 minutes to walk. ( without getting into each side street.

I think there are about 1200 families living there. I spoke to a girl living there she said she esimates 3-4 thousand living there.

She claims that today, with all extentions it would take 45 minutes to walk from one end to the other, which I don't believe.

They are not living in mansions in huge private properties that are spaced apart, so area wise, I don't think it's huge. Mostly live on top of each others, crammed together.

Anyone living there, can chime in about the reality today?

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 8:21 am
Kiryas Joel in Monroe is much larger probably at least 5x as big.

If you compare to Nitra, Mount kisco area might be big but families living there are probably less than 100.

Gibbers in Catskills growing, don't know how many families live there.

Bloomingburg/Catskills not that many families living there yet. It's still newish.

Bloomingrove next to Monroe has 30 Chasidishe families living there now. Same for Linden NJ. You have bigger, more private homes, more spaced apart as of now. These are both new communities.

So depends to which area to compare to.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 8:27 am
New square is pretty small, just afew blocks. Takes tops 20 minutes to walk all of skvere. The side streets are all dead ends more or less. Every street basicall brings you back to the same main road.

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 8:33 am
dankbar wrote:

There's a Toy store.

They have a great underwear store for fitted bras. They carry robes and those type of items.

They have a well priced teichel store.

The bakery is amazing. You can now get their stuff in Monsey. I love the milchag wafer cakes.

They have a cheap optical store.

And we can't forget Mrs. Gellman - the best kugel ever!

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 8:39 am
There's an accessories store.
A kids shoe store
A kids clothing store
An outerwear store
A boys abmnd and mens clothing store called Mango.
World of Appliance

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 9:20 am
The main supermarket there has limited hours, with hours designated for men only/women only times as well.

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 10:11 am
dankbar wrote:
The main supermarket there has limited hours, with hours designated for men only/women only times as well.

And the streets have mens' and womens' sides. The guys are very nice when you ask them directions. I was a little apprehensive the first time I approached one.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 10:32 am
squishy, I can't quote you, it dissapearred.

I was gonna post that, on main road there are ladies & men's sides, so no walking together with your hub or family, but I didn't want to open a can of worms, for people to start judging them.

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 10:40 am
dankbar wrote:
squishy, I can't quote you, it dissapearred.

I was gonna post that, on main road there are ladies & men's sides, so no walking together with your hub or family, but I didn't want to open a can of worms, for people to start judging them.

They are very nice. If you aren't from skwere and still respectful, they are all very nice. I never had one not be nice. I met a lot at the gym also.

I used to go to the deli and get lunch when I would go to the nursing home. That milchag wafer cake from the bakery is a dream.

There is also a lady who makes Purim baskets, also. She's talented with reasonable prices.

ETA I don't know which side of the street is which. They aren't bothering the sheital crowd.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 10:52 am
They have signs posted that say men's & women's. Blue for men. Orange for women. If you are not a local they won't bother you. They won't run after you in the streets to redirect you. Don't worry. (maybe only stare)

They are very welcoming & accommodating to outside guests like in shul etc. People will host outside guests all the time for shabbos/yom tov with sleeping arrangements & meals. They will say Gut Shabbos, if you pass them on the street, even if they have no clue who you are.

ChasdeiHashem1

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 10:28 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
There's an accessories store.
A kids shoe store
A kids clothing store
An outerwear store
A boys abmnd and mens clothing store called Mango.
World of Appliance

Thank you, this is helpful, although I was hoping for an actual directory, like a list of stores with phone numbers, so I can find out addresses, hrs etc

anyone know about hosiery store?

blessedjmom

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 10:49 pm
They also have a bed linens store with great service/pricing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics