Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Is it possible to develop seasonal allergies in adulthood?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 1:24 pm
Google says yes but I'm looking for personal experiences.

My kids all have seasonal allergies but they get them from DH's side of the family. It's not just the spring either - some of them suffer even more in the fall. So I know the symptoms. This week I have watery eyes, a drippy nose, a headache, and I feel congested and miserable. Of course it could be a cold, but I remember feeling the same last year at the same time. If I was looking at my kids I would assume allergies, but I'm almost 40 and I've never been allergic to anything! Is it possible?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 1:27 pm
Yes. Started a long journey of year round environmental allergies at age 17.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 1:45 pm
Yes, totally. It happened to me.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 1:48 pm
dankbar wrote:
Yes, totally. It happened to me.

Same

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 1:48 pm
Yes, from about 31-40, don't seem to suffer anymore.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 1:52 pm
Yes! I grew up on the West Coast and moved to the East Coast. It took me several years to realize that the "colds" I get every spring were actually allergies, because it never occurred to me (even though DH's whole family has them!) - after all, I never had allergies. So either I developed them later, or was just exposed to new allergens when I moved.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 2:05 pm
Oh great. Not.

Thanks ladies! Now I have to go steal some of my kid's allergy meds until I have time to get to the pharmacy.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 2:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Google says yes but I'm looking for personal experiences.

My kids all have seasonal allergies but they get them from DH's side of the family. It's not just the spring either - some of them suffer even more in the fall. So I know the symptoms. This week I have watery eyes, a drippy nose, a headache, and I feel congested and miserable. Of course it could be a cold, but I remember feeling the same last year at the same time. If I was looking at my kids I would assume allergies, but I'm almost 40 and I've never been allergic to anything! Is it possible?

Yes, my allergist said that you can develop allergies later on in life. I started in my fifties. I take fexofenidrine (allegra). Good luck.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 3:03 pm
If you're nose and throat are itchy, I think that's a sign. Also it comes in waves. You can feel perfect one minute, then itchy, watery sneezing all at once.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 3:35 pm
Definitely possible. I developed seasonal allergies as an adult. My mother developed allergies to various animals as an adult (after having grown up with various pets, including some of the animals she's now allergic to).

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 3:58 pm
Yes. It can be you, or it could be something new in the environment. My dad developed a severe food allergy at age 50 to something he ate his whole life, and my mom got seasonal allergies in her 40s.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:04 pm
Yes, certainly. In my late thirties or early fortiesI started getting cold symptoms towards the end of summer. it finally hit me after a few years that maybe this wasn’t a cold and went for allergy testing. Bingo! I didn’t think of it before because until then I had no allergies.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:19 pm
Yep. early 40's began seasonal allergies for me.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:26 pm
Yes. I developed seasonal allergies as an adult and my husband just developed them about two years ago as well. Three out of five of my kids also have seasonal allergies. Maybe we are exposed more to plants and trees than we were as kids. Both of us grew up in cities and now we live in the suburbs surrounded by lots of greenery.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:27 pm
I got allergies this spring/summer for the first time and I’m 31!

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:51 pm
It started with me as an adult too. On a side tangent apparently you can also develop food allergies as an adult! Happened to my husband who spent 5 years in Israel and came back with all of these allergies. Bh some of them have gone away but there are still some that he has.

amother
Natural

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 1:31 pm
It happened when my family moved apartments in 12th grade!

Librarian

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 9:17 pm
Yes! It started for me in my late 40's. Could not understand why I had a "cold" for weeks on end that began each morning and subsided each evening. Finally it dawned on me! Now I take Claritin D every morning in the fall and spring and I am almost symptom free. Great for my diet too Smile

oakandfig19

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 9:25 pm
Yes, also this is known to be a bad time of year for allergies on the east coast. Plus pollen counts are increasing, allergies are on the rise everywhere. My allergies are worse than when I was younger.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics