Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you wear an item with a skull on it?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Black

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 3:06 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
At least he is learning about saving money rather than going to Jacadi, henging and brenging, and buying "Jewish" clothes....

I shop in the same stores where she shops.
Half their stuff is from The Children's Place, Target, Old Navy, Walmart. The other half is hand-me-downs
My kids look eidel. Their clothing reflects who they are. Pure yiddisha neshomos.

Thank-you-very-much

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 3:11 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Humans and animals have a natural aversion to skulls. A skull in nature means this is a dangerous place to be.

I have no such aversion

amother
Black

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 3:15 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Just wondering if you see your comment about your neighbour as totally judgemental?

Maybe she just doesnt care about fashion or what people think of her as much as you.

It's like saying, that commenting on a person being short, that saying that comment makes you judgemental....
She isn't any "lesser" because of her wardrobe mishaps.....
It's still fact. This is only one of her many fashion faux paz.
Not everthing is the same height, weight, color, character or has the same understanding in fashion.
She actually cares too much about what others think.
I can't say "I couldn't care less" but I generally dress and live my life for hashem and for myself.

amother
White

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:50 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Why or why not?

Ugh. No way!!!

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:55 pm
Alexander McQueen Skull scarf which was wildly popular

Alexander McQueen Skull Clutch

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:58 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Humans and animals have a natural aversion to skulls. A skull in nature means this is a dangerous place to be.

Animals have no such aversion. In fact most carnivorous animals are attracted to dead bodies as a form of food.

In an age before general literacy, the skull and crossbones were used to warn people that the substance was poisonous but that had to be learned. A toddler would have no idea that the liquid in a bottle with that symbol was dangerous - he or she would have to associate the symbol with danger/death.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:01 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
It's like saying, that commenting on a person being short, that saying that comment makes you judgemental....
Not everthing is the same height, weight, color, character or has the same understanding in fashion.
I can't say "I couldn't care less" but I generally dress and live my life for hashem and for myself.

So you are better than her? You can justify your comments all you want, but you are still judging her.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 9:28 pm
[quote="Amarante"]Alexander McQueen Skull scarf which was wildly popular

[/quote

I think they're super ugly.
Just like I think many designer things are (mostly the items with the designer's name emblazoned across). I also dislike Chanel bags with chains. There, now you know all my designer dislikes.

My favorite clothing designer is St John (I have never owned a piece though)- their stuff looks so beautiful, well made, tasteful and tsnius. Now you know why I don't like skulls- they just don't jive with my fashion preferences.

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 10:27 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
When they come back into style in 2026 - will they look awful?

Probably at first. But when everyone gets used to the look again, they’ll start to look good again. That’s the way fashion and style works. Obviously.

tigerwife

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 10:33 pm
Amarante wrote:

Yup. I happen to like rocker chic style a lot, and I like Alexander McQueen a lot. I don’t own any pieces because they’re quite expensive but I did find a skull ballet flat on sale for a very decent price. In general I wouldn’t wear skulls, and I couldn’t place my finger on exactly why, so here’s the explanation behind my post Smile .

To me, the skull in fashion says back off, you don’t know who you’re dealing with. It says, I am strong, do not cross me.

Laiya

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 10:50 pm
tigerwife wrote:
To me, the skull in fashion says back off, you don’t know who you’re dealing with. It says, I am strong, do not cross me.

I agree that the intent is to convey edginess and toughness.

Personally I wouldn't wear it because I can't get past the fact that it means someone died and was not properly buried, in the most literal sense; that's what a skull is. Which is sad, tragic. As well as the other cultural associations mentioned.

DREAMING

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 12:37 am
No

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:05 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:

Dear Black:
Dont defend yourself. You brought up a valid point.
We as a nation have been desensitized to look Jewish. It is a halacha in Shulchan Aruch to look Jewish that is simply ignored.
Doing so does not entail looking and acting fundamentalist yet people will accuse us of doing so.
Aso, they will not fargin chasidim a nice designer outfit, but for themselves it is allowed because they dub themselves MO, yeshivish, heimish, openminded or any plethora of names they like.

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:39 am
Amarante wrote:

Yuck. Esp that gaudy bag.

Maybe it is intended as a fashion dialogue with artist Damien Hirst? Another emperor with no clothes, IMO.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics