Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What makes a parent get the parent of the year award?
Previous  1  2

Purple2

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 11:52 pm
I don’t understand the shock or negativity here.
The school needs money, in order to give your child a service. The “parents of the year” if they are wealthy, donated money to your child’s school, that benefited your child.
Instead of looking with an “ayin ra” how about having hakaras hatov to those who enable your child to attend school. Especially for anyone not paying full tuition, these parents of the year, are actually paying for your child to attend school.
How about some gratitude for them sharing their money with the institution your child benefits from?

ROFL

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:41 am
It is appreciated that they donate money - but those poor parents that don’t have money but do a lot for the school don't get the same appreciation.

camp wrote:
The school needs money, in order to give your child a service. The “parents of the year” if they are wealthy, donated money to your child’s school, that benefited your child.
Instead of looking with an “ayin ra” how about having hakaras hatov to those who enable your child to attend school. Especially for anyone not paying full tuition, these parents of the year, are actually paying for your child to attend school.
How about some gratitude for them sharing their money with the institution your child benefits from?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:51 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
In our Yeshiva they will honor any parent who gives $100,00 towards the deficit.

It may be given in installments.

Thank goodness we have these people to help our yeshivas stay open.

(Trust me, plenty of them struggle with their kids too.

everybody stay calm. These people have their stories of heartache and pain.)

Yup that's us!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:54 am
camp wrote:

Totally agree.

I'm one of those who gets scholarships, and if by making someone parent of the year they donate more money I'm so grateful!!!

I have to admit I do feel a twinge sometimes (hey, I thought we were really good parents too!) but this post totally puts things into perspective.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:10 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Curious. What surprised you?

that horrible concept

Flip Flops

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:17 pm
Many schools will honor 1-2 people who are wealthy themselves, and also a few others who are well connected - be it through a shul, orginization, family members, etc.
Even if they don't pay themselves the school will be able to pull in lots of ads on their behalf.
Many yeshivos honor a rebbi from the school - they themselves don't really have much to give the school, but the yeshiva hopes to bring in $ from the ads.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:46 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
Many schools will honor 1-2 people who are wealthy themselves, and also a few others who are well connected - be it through a shul, orginization, family members, etc.
Even if they don't pay themselves the school will be able to pull in lots of ads on their behalf.
Many yeshivos honor a rebbi from the school - they themselves don't really have much to give the school, but the yeshiva hopes to bring in $ from the ads.

This. You can be poor but popular and/or having helped a lot of people, and they will recognize you. Either they balance you out with big donors, or you get a ton of small ads, which can add up.

Also, for people who wish it could me them, it is a royal pain. It's nice for your parents to get the nachas, but it's a lot of work, and people turn it down all the time. You have to come up with what's effectively a simchah list of family and friends, and then send letters to them all telling them about the honor and asking for money and ads.

cm

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 2:02 pm
Ruchel wrote:
that horrible concept

Or, you could describe how fundraising works in France, and offer alternatives. In the US, it varies a bit from state to state, but for the most part private schools are entirely self-funded. Tuition covers part of the operating costs. Additional fundraising is essential to keep the doors open. People enjoy the annual get-together with the community while doing their part for the organization (making a donation, soliciting ads, volunteering). The system isn't perfect and personally I would like to find an alternative, but so far this model is the most effective for many communities.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 2:04 pm
I'm all for fundraising and donating but not for making it somehow parent of the year. What if he's a crooked business man? parent of the year shouldn't be a thing. I know some "parents of the year" that are poor, that are rich, and some horrible ones too
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics