Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Curly Girl method in Israel... Help!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:49 pm
Hi all,

I have a few daughters with curly hair. We recently made Aliyah and we are struggling with hair management... One of my daughters in particular seems to have an unusual/difficult hair texture. Very prone to tangles and frizz, often seems very dry and "coated" for lack of a better word (even just getting her hair soaking wet in the bath takes time and effort). We usually get puff and tangles rather than nice spirals or waves.

Right before we moved I took her to a special Curly Girl salon, got her hair cut and a bunch of products. We have since used them up but I have to honestly say that even while we still had the conditioner, it didn't seem to work very well, at least not once we arrived here. Or maybe I would need to use a whole bottle each time (obvious impossibility, and definitely now that the one I got is all used up).

Factors I can think of why we would be having more trouble here than we had in the US are: Hard water. More dust in the air (so more dust in her hair). Dryer air than the place we moved from which is very humid.

I went to a drug store and bought the conditioner that seems to have the least problematic ingredients but it's not really working. I spent 15 minutes conditioning her hair last night (combing through while soaking wet) and this morning she woke up to the same dry tangles as always that I put up in a messy bun while she complained that I was hurting her. I know I need more help/advice/different products.

As per advice from the Curly Girl salon I took her too, we've been shampooing once a week and conditioning every two or three days.

Is there anyone here who can guide me? Is there a place that sells Curly Girl (such as DevaCurl) products? Do I need different things or techniques for the hard water?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 12:10 am
She might be twins with my daughter!!!
No advice. I live in the States and we are the before picture. (Went to a curly salon-she is too stubborn and knows better)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 12:17 am
Thanks for the commiseration! Very Happy

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 12:23 am
use olive oil or even better coconut oil for the ends. I know this might gross some of you out, but really works for SOME types of frizzy stiff oily unmanagable hair.

my cousin did this all the time and it made a HUGE difference.

try to wet the hair - rub in oil - rinse - if needed use shampoo (only on the sculp) or just skip (it removes fatty layers so the ends will be even harder to comb) - condition for 30 minutes or use a repair mask (these usually have silicones) - comb while product is in - rinse - oil ends AGAIN and leave it in - comb a braid while hair is wet- let hair air dry.

hazlacha

Teomima

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:12 am
Following. My daughter has similar issues. So far the need thing that's worked for us is, after washing and conditioning, I add lots of almond oil (olive oil can smell and go rancid easily, coconut oil makes the hair solid in cold weather...learned that the hard [ha, punny!] way Very Happy) and throughly comb her hair with a wide tooth comb, then braid it. I remake the braid every day and the oil keeps it smooth and hydrated enough that recombing isn't the long painful task it is post-shower. I would LOVE a way to let her hair hang loose or be in a simple pony tail but it turns into an unmanageable rats nest.

sidewalkchalk

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:34 am
I just heard about a Diva-Curl certified place in Tel Aviv. I'll check...

But what we do is only buy products with no silicones or parabens (like Deva curl recommends, but my girls were born here, so we never tried it) and just got an organic carrot, sweety potato and pumpkin hair cream at the health food store which seems to be helping so far.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:42 am
I've been doing CG for 3 years now. Started in Israel, still live in Israel. Have never been zoche to go to a CG salon or see a Deva Curl product in real life.

I use to use a drugstore brand called Shea Moisture, which is an black owned brand that only makes CG products - their coconut and hibiscus line is the most popular, with shampoo, conditioner, creams, milks, and sprays. All 7-11 dollars each, available in any walmart, target, or drugstore in the USA and you can find them on lookfantastic (a site that ships to Israel for free) or Amazon that will ship to Israel.

I stopped with them mostly and turned to a company called ROOTS. It's available in most Chanut Teva I walk into in the country. It's CG friendly, cheaper, they have huge bottles and I just like the smell and feel of their shampoo and conditioner better than Shea Moisture line I tried (They have many lines but I'm happy with ROOTS and It's also local and so it's easier to get!) Here's a range of some of their products:

https://www.zap.co.il/models.a.....25608

I usually don't use cream in my hair anymore, it looks great without it and I love using the Shea Moisture style milk once and a while.

On the daily I to refresh my hair I use some water and then add in some style milk sometimes, and always use a mix of Shea Moisture hold, shine, and moisture mist and TREsemme perfectly undone salt water spray (34 shekels, found in superpharm and other pharmacies).

All shea moisture products are from the line I first mentioned.

Also I have straight haired friends who have tried CG with ROOTS products and its helped their hair SOOOO much!

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:45 am
Ask my anything CG! I'm super into it I've tried many things of the course of my life and this has been my lifesaver!

BTW I highly suggest washing the hair in apple cider vinegar every month or more. Sounds gross, but it helps with the PH balance and the hard water. You can google it for more information (ACV for short!). If you wash it out well and spray the hair with perfume afterwards it really isn't so bad, and your hair feels AMAZING. It cleans it out SO well. I try to do it once a week or two but it's hard...

Make sure you're brushing from the bottom up, and plopping hair after a shower. in a tshirt or microfiber towel. NEVER use a regular towel on curls! At night do a bun or high pony with a satin scrunchie on top of the head to protect the curls.

Last edited by LovesHashem on Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total

rzab

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:48 am
I don't have advice about curly hair, but for the first year or so after we made aliyah my girls hair was very rough and course and knotty. I think it took them time to get used to the water and environment. Hopefully you'll find the right products and with time it will go a little bit back to normal.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:58 am
thank you everyone for your advice! I will try some of these things and see how it goes.

LovesHashem can regular vinegar do the same trick? (I imagine it's similar to cleaning out the inside of a kettle to get the mineral deposits off, which I've always done with white vinegar?)

Asking only because I do have white vinegar in the house right now and I'd love to try it tonight.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you everyone for your advice! I will try some of these things and see how it goes.

LovesHashem can regular vinegar do the same trick? (I imagine it's similar to cleaning out the inside of a kettle to get the mineral deposits off, which I've always done with white vinegar?)

Asking only because I do have white vinegar in the house right now and I'd love to try it tonight.

I've never tried it, never heard of using regular vinegar. There's a lot of information online so you can try to research yourself "White vinegar Curly Girl method" or something. I've only heard of ACV. I know lots of people who use ACV for other things, it has a lot of properties that helps reset the PH balance and reduce redness, itchiness, etc and more for not just your hair but also skin and nails.

Even so, when starting CG it takes 2-3 weeks for your hair to fully get used to it. With regular products you are constantly taking out your hairs natural oils and your hair doesn't know how to regular it's oils and stuff by itself. It takes a few weeks to adapt, and even then the more time that goes on my hair gets healthier and better.

I used to have split ends all the time. I haven't had any dead or split ends since starting CG. I go to get cuts and my hairdresser is always surprised. They used to have to cut off inches...your hair gets SO much healthier!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 8:33 am
Excellent tips here. I second the coconut oil or shea butter treatments. My "old" hair is straight, but my gray hair is coming in curly! This means I have a super odd and frizzy texture, that makes my hair look damaged when it isn't.

Remember that depending on where you live, the water is either desalinated, or full of ground minerals. A filter on your shower head will make a world of difference. Spend the money to change the filter on a regular basis. The water here is also bad if you have very dry skin.

I've had to completely change the way I wash my hair since I got here, because my hair is also long. A good detangling product and a lot of patience go a long way.

Another thing, Israelis LOVE to help. If you see someone with gorgeous curly hair, do not be shy to ask them how they do their hair. If they speak English, or if your Hebrew is good, they will talk your ear off (probably give you their Whatsapp, and invite you over for Shabbos.)

Welcome to your new home! Very Happy

mochamix18

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:22 am
Something you might find similar is the L’Oréal 3 in 1 lo poo. I’ve been using this and wished it existed when I was single. It’s sold here in Israel so works well with the hard water. You don’t want to lather like regular shampoo but rather massage from one end of hair to the other. You’ll be surprised how the tangles come out of the coarsest of hair. For conditioning hair masques I suggest Moroccan Oil brand (expensive but made in Israel) or for a bit less expensive Style brand. A good leave in cream is Schwartz סדרת שמן הזית. From experience, the curly girl method does make hair look nice but can result in a lot of build up and mustiness on scalp. I recommend doing a vinegar rinse every so often. Rubbing coconut oil on the scalp 20 minutes before a shower can get rid of scalp flakes. Personally as someone with pretty coarse hair I don’t recommend it for the hair but to each their own.

Rappel

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:23 am
The best I've seen here for curly hair is Moroccan Argan Oil. I know The Body Shop carries a serum of it, but you should be able to find out in other places too. It's the best protection out here for curly hair.

(I have straight hair, and I use jojoba oil on myself to good effect, but I've noticed that it seems a bit heavy on my baby's curly hair. My curly friends use argan oil.)

westchestermom

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:09 am
Another thing that will help is to buy her a satin pillowcase or have her sleep with a satin-lined cap or scarf at night. Cotton pillowcases absorb all the moisture from her hair while she sleeps. My oldest daughter needs to do this but hates wearing anything on her head at night because she sweats. Maybe let her choose which one she wants.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:17 am
BTW OP I've spent hours at many pharmacies here and no other products are CG friendly except the ROOTS ones and the Tresemme spray.

CG is no parabens, silicones, and sulfates - all the other products people keep mentioning have one of the 3. Those products may be labeled for curly hair but aren't following the curly girl method.

If you don't FULLY keep to the method it WILL NOT work.
You cannot let those 3 things touch her hair. And they are many different names for those things, you need to be decently versed to be able to go through ingredient lists. Again, nothing besides the products I mentioned is CG friendly in Israel - not that I have found.

I am welcome for someone to prove me wrong, if anyone uploads an ingredient list of the products they mention.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 12:57 am
Thank you everyone for your responses!

I tried apple cider vinegar rinse and it seemed to help a bit... But I realized afterwards it hat a lot of additives and was not "real" acv so will have to try again. I tried to white vinegar too... figured the situation cannot possibly get any worse.

I ordered some almond oil online so will see if I can get some moisture in her hair with that when it comes.

LovesHashem, am I safe with any Roots product, or I need to look for specific ones? (My Hebrew is not good enough for me to quickly scan online for information so I appreciate your response... I definitely want to avoid the products that are not CG-recommended so I can really give CG a chance.)

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 6:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone for your responses!

I tried apple cider vinegar rinse and it seemed to help a bit... But I realized afterwards it hat a lot of additives and was not "real" acv so will have to try again. I tried to white vinegar too... figured the situation cannot possibly get any worse.

I ordered some almond oil online so will see if I can get some moisture in her hair with that when it comes.

LovesHashem, am I safe with any Roots product, or I need to look for specific ones? (My Hebrew is not good enough for me to quickly scan online for information so I appreciate your response... I definitely want to avoid the products that are not CG-recommended so I can really give CG a chance.)

I want to say yes but I'm not 100 percent sure. I can't find ingredient lists online and actually currently I'm trying to finish my Shea Moisture products so I don't have any ROOTS products in my house.

Yes, get ACV from a Chanut Teva to make sure it's 100 percent good for hair and doesn't has add-ons for cooking.

I really do think you have to be VERY careful about CG products. I saw a new product in a chanu Teva I thought was CG friendly turns out a sulfonate is similar to a sulfate and my hair doesn't like it. It dried terribly frizzy with all the strands separated versus how it usually dries into perfect curls. And it said NEW- SULFATE free in ENGLISH at the top! Banging head Can't Believe It

The next time I pass by a chanut teva I'll look over their products and let you know. I'll probably be by one this past week. In the meantime it's not so terrible if you just wash her hair with ACV or plain water. I did only water hair washing for about 6 months - it's not a long term option with the water in Israel but I did that in between CG and my old evil ways Smile

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 6:12 am
Also the ACV rinse won't help very much if you put back in those chemicals the next day. ACV clears out those chemicals...

Teomima

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 6:43 am
Does anyone have links to specific recommended products that are available on iherb? Something tried and true so I don't have to worry about reading the fine print on every bottle label. Shampoo, conditioner, plus any other recommended gel/oil/serum/cream/etc? It would be greatly appreciated and a huge help to many of us, I'm sure.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions