Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Colicky baby and foods to eat/avoid

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 8:51 am
B"H I gave birth 2 and a half weeks ago to the cutest little guy. He's also a pretty fussy little guy. He's either sleeping or screaming. Very rarely is he up and just quiet. He calms down somewhat when I hold him, but he's almost 10 lbs! I cant hold him all day!
I am exclusively BF. I know there are foods I should be avoiding, but I'm not sure what exactly.
Here's the catch- I am a very picky eater. My diet consists of pizza, pasta, ice cream, candy. I hate fruits and vegetables and meat.
Cutting out dairy will be really difficult, but I can use pareve cheese and ditch the ice cream, if it helps.
Anyone have any ideas?

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 10:06 am
Dairy could definitely be a culprit. It takes 3-4 weeks for it to leave the system, so make sure you don't just give it a week and stop because you don't see a difference.

Doesn't sound like you eat many of the other colic-inducing foods Smile

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 10:49 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Dairy could definitely be a culprit. It takes 3-4 weeks for it to leave the system, so make sure you don't just give it a week and stop because you don't see a difference.

Doesn't sound like you eat many of the other colic-inducing foods Smile

Oh man. What am I gonna eat? I was planning on trying it out today and see if I noticed any difference, but I guess I wont!
I'm gonna get soooo skinny!

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 11:25 am
Our doctor said that mom doesn’t need to avoid food unless baby has an actual allergy. I wouldn’t go off a food because baby is colicky. And you should get a baby carrier so you can wear him

dankbar

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 11:36 am
Foods to avoid are mostly food that cause gas like broccolli, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, eggplant, sauteed onions. Also spicy/hot foods, so pizza is not fun. I wouldn't jump to cut out dairy yet. A kineseologist might be able to help you realize which foods bother your baby

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 12:20 pm
I would not randomly choose foods to avoid. I've had allergic kids and tested them and then went off those foods. But I wouldn't have guessed them on my own, and without other symptoms I wouldn't assume that any particular food is having an effect.

It's very normal for a newborn to need to be held when he's awake. All of my babies did (and do), and I wouldn't describe it as colicky. Unless you mean screaming all the time even while you're holding and rocking. I find that my baby is calmest when I'm focusing only on him, not trying to get other things done while I hold him. So I prioritize that. He'll only be a newborn once...

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 12:23 pm
Allergy tests on babies are notoriously inaccurate.

Dairy is a very, very common sensitivity in newborns. I had it with both my kids, but the doctors and nurses and lactation consultants didn't figure it out. I did.

The change was stark when I went off dairy. Within two weeks, my babies were content. Gone was the grunting, the screaming, and the straining.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 12:25 pm

Dairy is a very, very common sensitivity in newborns. I had it with both my kids, but the doctors and nurses and lactation consultants didn't figure it out. I did.

The change was stark when I went off dairy. Within two weeks, my babies were content. Gone was the grunting, the screaming, and the straining.

My kids allergy testing as babies was very accurate for them.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 12:26 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
My kids allergy testing as babies was very accurate for them.

Lucky you. Doesn't change the facts, especially since this is not an allergy in the traditional sense.

My kids outgrew it by 7-8 months, and most babies outgrow it by a year.

chatz

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:12 pm
This is not an allergy. It is a sensitivity to something in the mother's milk. I doubt it would show up in tests.

One of my children screamed for hours every time I ate something with peanut butter. No, she is not allergic to peanut butter. But as a newborn, she reacted almost immediately. No peanut butter, calm baby. Yes peanut butter, crazy crying baby.

Another one reacted to chickpeas. Bye bye falafel.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:16 pm
Ok I got mylicon.
I'm also going to try to go off dairy. I already failed and had a bite of my son's dairy blueberry muffin.
Do I need to stop cold-Turkey? Do you think it's fine if I have a toddler cone like once in a blue moon? Eat an m&m or 2? How about a Nutri Grain bar?

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 2:08 pm

This. For my baby it's dairy, gluten (very limited), coffee and chocolate.

The difference is unbelievable.

After 2 months completely off, I do have a vet light coffee every few days, a tablespoon on ice cream here or there.... doesn't seem to bother him bh.
I also take Maxi premium enzyme max.
And amber necklace....

He went from crying and screaming while being held for up to 14 hours a day, to a normal baby who cries at times but is also content looking at the mobile..... in just a few short days.

Also, all these gassy foods they say you should avoid? Bh it doesn't bother him.
So as long as I avoid these 4 things, I can have anything.
And interestingly enough. I've never felt better!!!!
Usually, it's the foods your body had a hard time digesting, that gets passed onto the baby in not fully refined form then the baby, who tummy is still super sensitive, ends up in pain from indigestion.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 2:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok I got mylicon.
I'm also going to try to go off dairy. I already failed and had a bite of my son's dairy blueberry muffin.
Do I need to stop cold-Turkey? Do you think it's fine if I have a toddler cone like once in a blue moon? Eat an m&m or 2? How about a Nutri Grain bar?

Seeker my post.
After being off dairy for while you can try a table spoon or so of ice cream. I wouldn't do a cone though.
Chocolate I find even a bit bothered my baby. But you can see how urs is. Coffee was fine with him.
But at this point, I'm so used to not drinking coffee that the last two times I had a really lite one I ended up with a headache!

Mylicon will be your friend.

My neighbor claims baby's should be discharged from the hospital with mylicon. Lol. But mylicon only helps for gas. Indigestion is another issue. It can cause gas too but it's a different pain and mylicon doest help for that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics