Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Curly Girl method in Israel... Help!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:13 pm
curly girl?

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 2:11 pm
You can buy Shea Moisture off of amazon, ebay, or lookfantastic - all ship to Israel. All of their lines should be good. Iherb only had their baby line I think - not sure why.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 9:27 am
Help!! The plot thickens. I'm still trying to figure out how to improve my daughter's hair texture (using Roots products I found in a local store) when--LICE.

What can I use? Someone recommended Hendrin leave-in-conditioner spray but I see it has silicons.

Teomima

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 10:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Help!! The plot thickens. I'm still trying to figure out how to improve my daughter's hair texture (using Roots products I found in a local store) when--LICE.

What can I use? Someone recommended Hendrin leave-in-conditioner spray but I see it has silicons.

For lice I saturate the hair with oil, either coconut or almond, and just comb comb comb. I leave it in for a few days (it moisturizes the hair beautifully) so that I can continue combing it through (the oil keeps the hair from turning into a frizzy mess) every couple of days. Every few days I wash it as best as I can, then resaturate it and recomb about a week after the first time. I repeat this for two or three weeks to catch every louse and nit in every stage of the life cycle until I've eradicated the infestation.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:18 am
does the oil suffocate the lice?

when you say comb--do you mean with those very fine-toothed lice combs? I can't imagine how I can possibly get it through her hair. though maybe if I manage to saturate it with oil first...

the oil tends to just sit on top of her hair, not penetrate. do I need to just use a lot more of it? would love any advice on this.

Teomima

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:23 pm
I don't believe anything really suffocates the lice. I'm wary of anything that claims to do that or kill the nits.

With enough oil, really worked well into the hair, so that it's practically dripping from root to tip with oil, then yes you should be able to get a good fine tooth lice comb through (assy 2000 is the best). I find nothing gets rid of lice like just comb comb combing them out. Do it every day for two or three days, then once or twice a week for several weeks. You get the lice out, then as the nits hatch and they get big enough to be caught in the comb, you get them before they have a chance to lay more eggs. I also go through and manually pull off the nits whenever I see one. With my kids this is the only foolproof treatment that works every time.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 12:08 am
I wish I could figure out how to oil my daughter’s hair that thoroughly! It sounds impossible.

Do I need to use a lot more oil? How much would you use each time, Teomima?

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 1:08 am
Sorry I never got back to you. From what I've seen all of roots products are good.

Did a quick google for you:
https://www.reddit.com/r/curly.....lice/
https://www.naturallycurly.com.....-hair

Teomima

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 5:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I wish I could figure out how to oil my daughter’s hair that thoroughly! It sounds impossible.

Do I need to use a lot more oil? How much would you use each time, Teomima?

Probably about 1/4-1/2 cup, depending on how much the hair is really soaking it in. I find it easiest to use coconut oil because it's firm enough I can grab handfuls at a time, but it melts as I work it into the hair, making it a more manageable oil than something liquid that you just pour on the head.

Teomima

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 5:16 am
Regarding general CG products, I wanted to share that I bought Giovanni products online from iherb and so far I'm really happy with it. I don't like the gel so much, but dd and I are very happy with the shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in I bought.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 6:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ugh. I've dealt with lice. I used the every-other-day conditioner or olive oil comb through method. You saturate the head with olive oil or coconut conditioner. Wait for a few minutes for it to soak through and slow down the lice. Then, in a horrendous time-consuming process that can take two hours of active labor, depending on length and thickness of hair, section the hair into small sections, and slowly comb through each section with a lice comb. I got some from CVS: the brand was Ezy Dose Lighted Lice Comb. A regular comb won't catch the lice; it needs to be a lice comb. After each pass through the hair, wipe on a white paper towel so you can see how many lice you are getting, and in what stages they are. We shampooed after this to get the oil out. Otherwise, expect major oil stains on your couches, clothing, etc. I washed and sanitized all lice combs after each combing through.

Do this process every other day for two or more weeks. Then you are done. I found that olive oil was gentler to the hair than coconut conditioner.

I did only this, along with regular (around twice a week) sheet and pillowcase changes. I didn't do the major vacuuming and quarantine thing that other people do. I've read that lice are basically exhausted after a few hours off the head, too exhausted to take the journey to get into another head, so I was not that worried about random lice around the house. Also, honestly, I didn't have the time, because the combing of multiple heads took ALL MY TIME. We ate a lot of take-out during those few weeks. There wasn't time to cook. All we did was kill lice.

Good luck.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 6:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
does the oil suffocate the lice?

when you say comb--do you mean with those very fine-toothed lice combs? I can't imagine how I can possibly get it through her hair. though maybe if I manage to saturate it with oil first...

the oil tends to just sit on top of her hair, not penetrate. do I need to just use a lot more of it? would love any advice on this.

I found it helpful to put the oil on and put up the hair into a disposable shower cap, or two disposable shower caps for those with long, thick hair. Let the shower cap stay on for a while, as long as your daughter can stand it. (She has to stay still because if she starts running around the house, the cap will come off and you'll have oil all over the house.) Ten minutes is good; half an hour is even better. It helps the oil penetrate.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 7:54 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Ugh. I've dealt with lice. I used the every-other-day conditioner or olive oil comb through method. You saturate the head with olive oil or coconut conditioner. Wait for a few minutes for it to soak through and slow down the lice. Then, in a horrendous time-consuming process that can take two hours of active labor, depending on length and thickness of hair, section the hair into small sections, and slowly comb through each section with a lice comb. I got some from CVS: the brand was Ezy Dose Lighted Lice Comb. A regular comb won't catch the lice; it needs to be a lice comb. After each pass through the hair, wipe on a white paper towel so you can see how many lice you are getting, and in what stages they are. We shampooed after this to get the oil out. Otherwise, expect major oil stains on your couches, clothing, etc. I washed and sanitized all lice combs after each combing through.

Do this process every other day for two or more weeks. Then you are done. I found that olive oil was gentler to the hair than coconut conditioner.

I did only this, along with regular (around twice a week) sheet and pillowcase changes. I didn't do the major vacuuming and quarantine thing that other people do. I've read that lice are basically exhausted after a few hours off the head, too exhausted to take the journey to get into another head, so I was not that worried about random lice around the house. Also, honestly, I didn't have the time, because the combing of multiple heads took ALL MY TIME. We ate a lot of take-out during those few weeks. There wasn't time to cook. All we did was kill lice.

Good luck.

Wait. How in heavens name can you dedicate two hours to each girl’s head, every other day? I mean for two weeks it can be done if that the priority, as you said, for two weeks.

But after all that what’s to stop the kid from just catching lice again? It seems to be ubiquitous here.

How do the kids put up with it? (Doesn’t it cut into everyone’s bedtimes?)

Need to reread and digest what everyone is saying but this is just stopping me in my tracks. I do think it will take two hours to comb her hair thoroughly. But now you are confirming my fears. This is a girl who will barely stand still for me to make a ponytail in her hair.

(So far I tried combing one little section only but I think the comb is not fine enough... I need to get another one. So In the meantime before shabbos I’ll work on oiling to enable future combing.)

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 8:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wait. How in heavens name can you dedicate two hours to each girl’s head, every other day? I mean for two weeks it can be done if that the priority, as you said, for two weeks.

But after all that what’s to stop the kid from just catching lice again? It seems to be ubiquitous here.

How do the kids put up with it? (Doesn’t it cut into everyone’s bedtimes?)

Need to reread and digest what everyone is saying but this is just stopping me in my tracks. I do think it will take two hours to comb her hair thoroughly. But now you are confirming my fears. This is a girl who will barely stand still for me to make a ponytail in her hair.

(So far I tried combing one little section only but I think the comb is not fine enough... I need to get another one. So In the meantime before shabbos I’ll work on oiling to enable future combing.)

Thank God, it only happened once. I think in the US it is less common to re-catch lice than in Israel. I used tea tree oil shampoo, which is supposed to help in lice prevention, for a while, until I found out it could be a hormonal disruptor. (And I tried to make rules, like not putting heads together and no rolling around on the floor, but I don't know how much it helped.) And my family is not large. Still, I thought I would go out of my mind. I was in tears. I also resorted to a lot of bribery to get the oil on the head and to comb through. Real, physical money as well as lot of pizza and ice cream.

A few years before, there had been a scary emergency where one child was in the hospital with an infection that was possibly life threatening. We were in quarantine, actually, since it was a bacterial infection together with one of those killer flu strains that had been going around. It gave me some perspective. When I was doing the lice comb throughs, I thought about how preferable it was to spend time on something benign like this, rather than on something that I thought might God forbid take my child away. That kept me calmer and more centered. Still, the task itself was arduous, and it still made me cry.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 8:28 am
And also, I took a few days off from work. Because the first comb throughs were the worst and most time consuming.

Teomima

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 10:35 am
I don't comb through as thoroughly as I did the first couple of times, when it would indeed take two hours. Too many kids, too many repeat cases of lice in Israel to keep up with that. Instead I part the hair down the middle, thoroughly comb each half, root to tip, in every direction possible, then braid it up tightly and keep it that way for a few days, combing each day or two till I caught everything big enough to be caught in the lice comb. Then repeated the next two weeks. Now it takes me maybe half an hour, if that.

The good news is even here in Israel the kids outgrow lice. Kindergarten through fourth grade seems to be the worse stage.

You need a real lice comb. In Israel go to superpharm and get the Assy 2000. Worth every agorah.

dilego

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 2:41 pm
Maybe moraz have non of the above mentioned chemicals.their mask is really good on curly hair

Iymnok

Post Sat, Jul 15 2023, 3:07 pm
Bumping this up.
Shaul Tamrukim doesn’t have Roots anymore. Is the tree another CG product that’s easily available?

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Jul 15 2023, 3:11 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Bumping this up.
Shaul Tamrukim doesn’t have Roots anymore. Is the tree another CG product that’s easily available?

Is that a name of a store or the company that makes it? You can order roots in a few online websites. Eco love and avlon naturals are also local but pricier and not all their products are cg friendly.

You can order other brands from Amazon and iherb.

Iymnok

Post Sat, Jul 15 2023, 3:26 pm
It’s a store that sells all sorts of hygiene products and makeup. Drugstore type place.
Which websites?

Also do you know which gel would work best in very thick curly hair?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions