Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Complete work burn out

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 7:56 am
This is not about my home life at all. I am 100% burnt out of my job. I work full time 6 days a week. I dont like so much the company that I work for. Im not going to get into specifics, but I dont agree with everything that they do and that they stand for. And the work is very tiring. Not physically, I sit in front of a computer every day for 9 hours, but its tiring and emotionally draining (because of what I mentioned above).

Any thoughts on how I can make my work environment (and I work from home, so I mean environment in the general meaning) better so that I dont feel burnt out at the end of each day and then by the end of each week, I crawl to my bed as I turn off the work computer and work phone.

I can not quit right now and I cant look for something else now either, long story, not going there, not the point here either, I do plan to look in a few months, but right now, the atmosphere is just not a good one.

What are ways you work through work burn out? Again, this has nothing to do with getting things done for my home and family.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 8:35 am
It must be so hard to sit blind in front of a computer without human interaction!!

singleagain

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 8:47 am
Sitting in front of the computer for 9 hours is physically exhausting. I know bc I do it.

Make sure you have a proper work chair or get lumbar /lower back support pillows. Or the like.

Or, try a standing / adjustable desk.

There are many products designed to help take the strain of computing all day off your body.

Also... Maybe get an oil diffuser and try different scents. Or decorate your work space with fun tchotchkes. Or like toys, like squishes to be able to take a break with and pound to oblivion when your get frustrated.

cholentfan1

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 9:41 am
I find classical music can help (or any music really) makes for a more upbeat environment.
Any chance you can take a day or few hours off to pamper yourself?
Sit in a park or somewhere green-they've done studies where mental health is renewed through nature.
Get a new book or watch a movie-make sure you're unwinding at the end of the day-a nice, relaxing bubble bath etc where you can just disconnect from work and any responsibilities.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 3:09 pm
Step 1: unless you are actively trying to get a promotion, do the bare minimum amount and quality of work that is acceptable. Don't be a slacker, but don't do more. It's not going to help you, especially if you feel burned out because of being overworked unappreciated.

The rest of this post are things that have helped me in the past. Take the ones that you find helpful and leave the rest. Everyone's different. If you have some more specific areas where you'd like ideas, post them and we can set if we can come up with something.

Try to reclaim time for yourself if you can. In the office when I take breaks I'll do random things like walk around the halls, stare at the wall/out the window, etc. At home I will still wander around the house if I feel like I need to move around, but I'll also out laundry in the washer/dryer, empty the dishwasher, pick up a little,.etc. I can do these things quickly, in the same amount of time as a "normal" break in the office so I'm not stealing time from my employer. Those minutes I get back to myself once I clock out for the day. Plus, it helps me feel a little more energetic by moving around and the mental break relaxes me a bit.

Pay attention to your diet, exercise, and health. This is difficult for me, especially when I'm stressed, but it does help me feel better physically and emotionally, and focusing on myself more helps me forget about work when I'm not working.

Make your work area cozy and peaceful as much as you can. Mine faces a corner, has some plants, is organized to my liking, has a super comfy chair, and just feels good to sit at. The rest of my house may be a disaster, but I'm not looking at it.

Both my husband and I have asked the other to do more than normal if we are extra busy or stressed out at work. We're happy to help each other out, as long as it has a time limit.

See if you can organize your work to make it more efficient or at least work better with your energy. I start the day with checking email and to do lists, then do the most difficult work til lunch. Eat, check email etc, then do the most difficult work again til I begin to feel more mentally tired, usually around 3. After that I do more.mindless things that don't require a lot of concentration. I also have a little snack (fruit, small amount of chocolate, etc) to get some extra sugar in my body to get perked up a bit. When I was younger and more of a night owl the schedule was more of the reverse.

If thinking about what you can do to prepare to get out of this situation when you can helps, do it. You don't need to start looking for a job, but you can make a list of what you need to start doing once you do (make/revise a resume, learn a new skill, start networking, etc). If you can do some of those things now and it helps you feel better, do it. The idea is to help you see a light at the end of the tunnel. If that isn't helpful to you, don't do it.

Little things like this can help reduce your stress level, give you something else to focus periodically, and just overall just take away as much discomfort as possible.

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 4:02 pm
Can you take a walk during your lunch break every day? Getting out really helped me when I worked in an office. Can you make sure to see or speak to a friend at some point during the week?

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 8:14 pm
Take breaks.
Officially someone who works in front of a computer all day is supposed to take a 10 minute break from the screen every 1 hour.
It changes everything btdt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics