Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How do you design your kitchen? Limited budget

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:09 am
I have a contractor but I’m so nervous about the kitchen design. He is frum and works in the frum community and he gave me a printout for my kitchen but how do I know if it’s perfect for my house?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:16 am
Post in the Houzz.com forums. There are lots of experts on the subject there and they are usually happy to give feedback on your design.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:29 am
I was just thinking about this this morning.
I had my kitchen designed about 5 years ago. One regret-my backsplash is a bunch of inverted tiny white tiles. It's really beautiful, and I thought it will be an easy clean but because of all the little "innies" it's a total pain.
Try to get a backsplash with even texture instead of patterned.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 10:10 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Post in the Houzz.com forums. There are lots of experts on the subject there and they are usually happy to give feedback on your design.

Thanks. Can they advise about kosher kitchen design?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 10:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. Can they advise about kosher kitchen design?

Show it to your friends who are cooks. They can tell you about function.

You can also bring it to other kitchen places if you are shopping cabinets. They will tweak it for you for free. They won't create a new one.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 10:41 am
Quote:
He is frum and works in the frum community

What does that have to do with doing a good job? I actually know a frum man who designed a modern hotel. He did a great job & I'm sure if he were to design a more traditional style he would've done a great job too

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 10:44 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Quote:

What does that have to do with doing a good job? I actually know a frum man who designed a modern hotel. He did a great job & I'm sure if he were to design a more traditional style he would've done a great job too

Oh. I didn’t mean it’s not good. I mean that he did a kosher kitchen. I just want to make sure it is perfect for us. I need another opinion and suggestions

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 10:44 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Quote:

It has everything to do with designing a kosher kitchen. He understands and is experienced. Sheesh.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 10:46 am
I go on redfin or zillow and I look for other houses with the same lay out and I look at the photos of whatever room I want to get inspo for.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 10:48 am
I do home and kitchen design professionally — mostly in Baltimore and Silver Spring. Here is a link to my website: https://design613.com/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 10:50 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:

I just went on houzz.com. I need to insert what style is my kitchen. It is modern, contemporary ,traditional, etc. what do you put in? It’s a regular kitchen:)

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just went on houzz.com. I need to insert what style is my kitchen. It is modern, contemporary ,traditional, etc. what do you put in? It’s a regular kitchen:)

Just go to the forum part, you don't need to post a style there.

cinnabon

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:30 am
I am moving into new house and we redid (small) kitchen from scratch.
My 3 main things I wanted
1- space . It should look and feel spacious and airy. Did white cabinets. White countertops with a bit of light grey veining. Light grey almost white stacked backsplash. Light grey floors
2- functionality - tried to get biggest stretch of counter space. I.e. sink on side instead of in middle of counter ...
3- practical. Did floors that I can wash easily and don’t see every spot. While I love the polished shiny floor kitchen look I know it will show every spot so I didn’t do that.
Did simple backsplash that’s easy to clean.
Appliances all smudge proof even though some others were more modern looking

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:36 am
You need to know what’s important to you

For me, it was important lots of storage
Also, certain appliances, I wanted 2 wall ovens
a warming drawer, 2 separate sinks, a separate refrigerator and freezer.

I was adamant that I wanted granite countertop and the same backsplash.
I literally had to fight with the contractor over this.He kept arguing that it’s his work that ppl will see. Yea, but it’s my house.

Start by placing the appliances where it makes sense for you, and build the kitchen around that.

Think about what you like and don’t like about your current kitchen, and how to remedy what you don’t like.

I love my kitchen layout
I designed it with my needs in mind

The quality of the kitchen, not so much

amother
White

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:46 am
I have friends who redid their kitchens and hired an interior designer with a background in spacial planning in a addition to the contractor. She was incredibly helpful with practical ideas in terms of workflow and functionality.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen