Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Frum graphic novels? Or other book recommendations?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:02 pm
Any recommendations for graphic novels or books for grade level 3-5? Need to buy online. My kids read a lot, I would like to get them something to read on YK but prefer it to be Jewish rather than the usual stuff we get from the library.
They are 7-12. Older one likes to read below grade level, but old enough to understand that Yom Kippur is different, even if she's not davening all day.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:13 pm
There is so much stuff. What have they not read yet?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:19 pm
There are frum graphic novels?
Dd likes Bakers Dozen. Read a few other random Jewish books like that but found them to be too boring. She read Kids Speak. I don't really know what else is out there. I looked at menucha publishers but didn't see much.
Ideally I would love to buy a graphic novel series that a few kids can share over YK.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There are frum graphic novels?
Dd likes Bakers Dozen. Read a few other random Jewish books like that but found them to be too boring. She read Kids Speak. I don't really know what else is out there. I looked at menucha publishers but didn't see much.
Ideally I would love to buy a graphic novel series that a few kids can share over YK.

There are graphic novels that are novel size, like the M. Safra books based on Shmuel Argaman books. But then there are the standard oversized comic books. There are dozens and dozens out there, though I haven't read too many.

There is a series Just Imagine by M. Safra. I'm not thrilled with some of them but I like the Succos one. The RH is good too. Then there are the Ahrele books, I think published by Feldheim, written by R' Aharon Margalit (As Long As I Live).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:29 pm
Thanks! I'll look into those.

Gerbera

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:23 pm
Not a Jewish book but a wonderful graphic novel - El Deafo.

isrmss91

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:37 pm
Wow. I don't know where to begin. There are so many graphic books to choose from. It is a hard decision,
Very popular is Shikufitkzky 1-5 (square shaped) and Shikukfitsky Street 1-5 (rectangle shaped)
The Safety War (there are 2 books)
Another series recommened is Escape to Seville, To the New World and the latest in that series is "the Western Home"
Chaim Eliav's Novel , "in The Spiders Web" is now available in a comic book form for Children.

The Jeweled Sword 1-3 is also a very popular series.
There are some Comics based on true events, also recommended " The Remarkable Rescue" Miraclous Escape of the Mir Yeshiva. and "Fused in Flames" about the Bobove Dynasty during WW2
Aherele 1-4 is based on some childhood stories that happend to R'Aharon Margolit, the author of "As Long As I live"
Dudi and Udi Series 1-7 and the Captains Kids 1-5 are also very popular.
There are so many to choose from. Good luck

Last edited by isrmss91 on Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

isrmss91

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:43 pm
Also want to recommend, Shua And Shaya. (there is only 1 this) Children have enjoyed it.
Other suggestions is Super Agent Gizmo and the Pinchy & Ichy Series 1-6, Three Brothers Series 1-3

And there is major series call "Just Imagine" there is practically a book on every Yom Tov
Basically comparing what would it be like the events happened in our time.
For example. The Chanukah one is called "Just imagine we beat the Greeks, and those events would be depicted in this day and age.
Some people don't like it but the kids go crazy over this series.

Last edited by isrmss91 on Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommy9

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:45 pm
There's a set of books called "just imagine". there's one about rosh hashana and yom kipper that my seven year old is reading now.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:48 pm
Look into the Rabbi Harvey books by Steve Sheinkin.

trixx

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:58 pm
There's graphic novels on Navi, shoftim for sure, idk what else, just remember seeing it in the judaica store.

freilich

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 6:51 am
This one's great. It's called Gavatanic. By rabbi burech chait. My kids loved it, though I haven't seen it in years. It's based on the story of the Titanic.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 9:30 am
My kids love "Just Imagine" series. I'm satisfied with the quality.

"Gaavatanic" is not based on the story of the Titanic IIRC, just borrowed the name for being huge and full of itself. It's a middos thing. I loved it, my kids haven't read it yet, and it's part of a series of I think 3 books.

My problem with graphic novels is that they read through them so quickly and beg for more faster than I can keep up!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children