Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Pitbull s/o: Pet lovers, I'd love to pick your brain!
Previous  1  2  3

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:49 am
DVOM wrote:
Your really selling me on dogs, FF.

Can you tell me more? What does a typical day caring for a dog look like?

An older dog with a sweet personality might be perfect for my boys.

Are you in Israel? https://www.facebook.com/ines......n=ufi All these sweeties are looking for homes.

Wake up, let the dog out in the yard, or a quick walk around the block. Breakfast for dog, quick walk about an hour later. Play with dog, pet him, love him, brush him, or just let him sleep. Evening, dinner, and then a longer walk around the block to stretch his legs and tire him out for the night. Obviously, if you have a yard your life gets a lot easier on days when it's rainy, or you don't feel well enough to get out.

If the dog develops a habit that you don't like, put him on "leash restriction." Have him on a leash, by your side, all day long. As soon as he barks, goes after a cat, or tries to get on the table (insert naughty behavior here), direct him away and tell him "leave it". The next time you are near the tempting situation and the dog ignores it, give the dog lots of praise or a small treat, and say "Good leave it!!!"

Stay low key on the corrections, and positive and cheerful on the rewards. Dogs are like children. If you nag them or yell at them, they will just tune you out. If the dog is sensitive, it will fear you. Keeping your dog on the leash is a great way to reinforce bonding, while minimizing the chance that your dog can get in trouble.

I've been able to get my dog to go from chasing the cat all over the house, to having them tolerate each other on the sofa, as long as I'm sitting in the middle. It took me about two weeks, but it worked. I just had to show my dog that I could pet the two of them at the same time, and that it was OK.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries