Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who here remembers the early days of Imamother?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 2:43 pm
I was just thinking how grateful I am for this site. Imamother has been part of my life since 2004, which seems so crazy - 15 years! Wow time has flown. I've learned a lot here as a BT that really helped me integrate into frum culture and raise my kids. I've been able to ask a lot of anonymous questions that I would have felt dumb asking people IRL. I've also gotten some great recipes here!

Anyway, I was wondering how many of us were here in the early days (say, 2004/5/6ish)? Do you guys remember how different things were? I remember we were all way more trusting online and probably overshared...a lot of us eventually switched user names after realizing that people might figure out who we are. But I remember that feeling of closeness and it being smaller and more open, I really liked that. What do you remember about your early days here?

(And thank you, Yael, for providing this forum! I know it's helped so many people! Wishing you and your family a kesiva v'chasima tova!)

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 2:54 pm
I’ve also been here a while...

I’ve met really amazing people through this site, got a lot of encouragement, watched my friends’ journeys, and feel more comfortable here than anywhere else on the internet.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 3:38 pm
I've been here around 10 years. Long enough to see the good, the bad and the ugly Wink It's been interesting watching dynamics shift. And one thing is for sure- אין חדש תחת השמש!

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:00 pm
me. I think I was one the first members. I got an email about this new site and joined.

gold21

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:00 pm
Meee

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:04 pm
I remember the camp thread. Not sure how long ago that was...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:13 pm
I've been here since 2008 and didn't know about the first 4 years. Smile

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:14 pm
I was here not long after it started, under a different username. I was one of the most prolific posters in those days.

Then I took a few years break, and am here with a different username. It was definitely more friendly and intimate back then. Who remembers chat?

And, of course, the ubiquitous BC debates. The tone has changed a lot since then. Back in the day I remember it being about equally split, now anti-BC as the default seems to be an outlier.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:18 pm
I've been lurking since 2006ish, as a teenager. I didn't sign up until I got married though. I wasn't yet Jewish and this site helped me vicariously live a frum life and reminded me why I wanted to. Heart

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:21 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I was here not long after it started, under a different username. I was one of the most prolific posters in those days.

Then I took a few years break, and am here with a different username. It was definitely more friendly and intimate back then. Who remembers chat?

And, of course, the ubiquitous BC debates. The tone has changed a lot since then. Back in the day I remember it being about equally split, now anti-BC as the default seems to be an outlier.

so curious now. Can you pm me who you were?

Motek? Crayon?

I have a bunch of friends who posted a lot here but now are mostly active on facebook groups.

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:26 pm
Shhh don’t summon the beast.

Gneshe

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:40 pm
Good old days... especially the chat... it's a lot more intense these days

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:45 pm
I've only been on here for a couple of years but am super curious - were there ANY chassidim on here in those days? How about very yeshivish?

(I don't know who used the internet back then, in 2004 I was in like 2nd grade).

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:46 pm
I joined in 2012, but I had been lurking without an account since 2008 or 2009. It's changed a lot.

happyone

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:09 pm
here since 2005. gosh. ALOT has happened since then...

happyone

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:10 pm
remember the chat room? what happened to that? Breslov / Clarivka even came to my house to visit Smile we were a smaller group then. Shakleemom?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:11 pm
I’ve been here for 12 or 13 years. I forget. I miss my friends from back then, although a lot of people are on Facebook now.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:03 pm
Remember having to login to get the amother password of the day

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:28 pm
Yup yup
The daily fights with Friedasima and Barbara makes the most hostile thread today look like a lovefest

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:43 pm
I was here 10 years ago. Took a several.year break and just popped back in. Its changed for sure, but the topics are mostly the same. It's more hostile now. I liked it better then.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics