Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Savory gefilte fish

mammale

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 3:15 pm
What can I make with unsweetened gefilte fish? I need something that will dress it well, so that we won't miss the sweet taste, and that is quick and easy to make. I am trying to cut out refined sugar.
One recipe I made that went well, was defrosting it adding honey ( though it still didn't taste sweet) spreading in a pan and dumping salsa / marinara sauce on top. ( Would've been better with sweet gefilte though😀)

Thanks!

Hashemlovesme1

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 3:33 pm
I unwrap while still frozen, cover in tomato sauce and chopped veggies (onion, pepper, whatever you like) and bake for 2 hours

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:10 pm
Did I read this here? Fry/caramelize a few onions. Smear Dijon mustard on the fish. Smother with onions. Bake.

agreer

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:21 pm
what brand do you buy?

I use Unger's and I don't add any sugar to the water and it comes out sweet enough. I bake it, wrapped in parchment, in a bit of water. That's it.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:22 pm
Hashemlovesme1 wrote:
I unwrap while still frozen, cover in tomato sauce and chopped veggies (onion, pepper, whatever you like) and bake for 2 hours

Love this type, you can use jarred tomato sauce with minimal sugar and add a bag of frozen peas/corn/carrots or any frozen chopped veg if you want to make it quick and easy.

mammale

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:08 pm
agreer wrote:
what brand do you buy?

I use Unger's and I don't add any sugar to the water and it comes out sweet enough. I bake it, wrapped in parchment, in a bit of water. That's it.

Also ungers. Sometimes Benz's. But I'm talking about unsweetened gefilte fish.
Thanks everyone for the recipes. Looking forward to trying some.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:06 pm
mammale wrote:
What can I make with unsweetened gefilte fish? I need something that will dress it well, so that we won't miss the sweet taste, and that is quick and easy to make. I am trying to cut out refined sugar.
One recipe I made that went well, was defrosting it adding honey ( though it still didn't taste sweet) spreading in a pan and dumping salsa / marinara sauce on top. ( Would've been better with sweet gefilte though😀)

Thanks!

Smear with mayo, coat with corn flake crumbs, crunchy fried onions and lots of spices and bake. Delish.

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:11 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Smear with mayo, coat with corn flake crumbs, crunchy fried onions and lots of spices and bake. Delish.

YUM!!!

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:58 pm
Just curious, per serving, how many grams of sugar does the sweetened one have in comparison to the unsweetened?
And by adding honey, how much do you add, and how does it affect the impact on the glycemic index?

mimom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:08 pm
Raskins unsweetened gefilte fish tastes great and savory without adding anything.

mammale

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 10:36 am
mimom wrote:
Raskins unsweetened gefilte fish tastes great and savory without adding anything.

Thanks for the tip!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics