Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Rosh Hashana 5780 Menu- for Dieters!
Previous  1  2

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 8:32 pm
You can basically spread out any vegetable on a cookie sheet, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast at 425 until desired texture. And it's guaranteed to be so delicious you'll want to eat the entire thing straight off the pan all by yourself. Pair a different vegetable each time with any meat or chicken dish and you have a delicious meal! Meat and chicken are also delicious with just a paste of a bit of oil and some spices. Tastier than all those sugary, heavy sauces. Use enough salt, that's key.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 11:39 am
I eat the exact same way I do every other day of the year. Meat/animal protein/low carb veg/ fats. I don’t cheat, I don’t treat. I probably eat more than I do in an average day because less intermittent fasting. On the menu this year...

Prime rib
Boneless chicken thighs with skin
Beef/lamb adobo basically made from meat trimmings aka butcher garbage( high fat/gristle)
Various low carb veg
Matzah for hamotzei for those who do it ( I have a heter not to)
We might use cinnamon to make things ‘sweet’
Chicken soup with veg and meat- like hot, wet salad
Burgers with veg trimmings and home made mayo
We typically put out nuts and high cocoa chocolate for dessert but I actually try to avoid those.

Maintaining a 90 pound loss and eventually hoping to lose another 80or so which is only going to happen if I keep myself on track.

kidhugger

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 10:05 pm
Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone!
Does anyone have delicious salad ideas without fruits, nuts, seeds, mayo, sugar.....
Here's a variation of Moosewood carrot salad:
Grated carrots
Chopped parsley
Minced garlic
Fresh lemon juice
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Can also add/ cumin/ mint/ chives
Looking for more salad ideas. Thanks

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 10:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I've only seen Gefen. But note that beets are a carby vegetable and when dieting they are counted as carbs.

These days weight watchers allows beets and corn to be counted as zero points as long as no sugar is added. (Not Potatoes, parsnips and a few others)

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:46 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
These days weight watchers allows beets and corn to be counted as zero points as long as no sugar is added. (Not Potatoes, parsnips and a few others)

I wonder what they do when someone is diabetic?

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:46 am
kidhugger wrote:
Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone!
Does anyone have delicious salad ideas without fruits, nuts, seeds, mayo, sugar.....
Here's a variation of Moosewood carrot salad:
Grated carrots
Chopped parsley
Minced garlic
Fresh lemon juice
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Can also add/ cumin/ mint/ chives
Looking for more salad ideas. Thanks

Why not mayo
It’s so easy and yummy to make your own

I love big green salads with cumin lemon dressing

You need to make the dressing EXTRA STRONG and use very little

I put in a squirt bottle
Olive oil 1/3 bottle
Fresh lemon juice 1/3 bottle
Cumin 1 TBSP
Salt 1/2-1 TBSP
Again it needs to be extra strong
And just lightly coat the veggies

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:50 am
cbg wrote:
Why not mayo
It’s so easy and yummy to make your own

I love big green salads with cumin lemon dressing

You need to make the dressing EXTRA STRONG and use very little

I put in a squirt bottle
Olive oil 1/3 bottle
Fresh lemon juice 1/3 bottle
Cumin 1 TBSP
Salt 1/2-1 TBSP
Again it needs to be extra strong
And just lightly coat the veggies

Heart of Palm
Heart of Palm sliced
Avocado diced
Baby Tomatoes - yellow is you can find it
Lime juice
Salt and pepper
Mix, serve

There’s a new product called Palmini
It’s Heart of Palm spaghetti
I’m planning to make an Asian noodle salad with it
Maybe pad Thai

I serve roasted eggplant slices with roasted whole garlic cold during salad
I use Japanese Eggplant

I also roast mini pepper - and then serve with the tiniest drizzle of balsamic vinegar
Tiny drizzle because it is high in sugar

I have others but they do contain fruit, nuts, seeds (low carb) or mayo

Tzippy323

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 1:59 am
I do keto, and I have some excellent dips.

Dill dip

1 bunch of dill checked, washed, and chopped in a food processor
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons stevia
Squeeze juice of 1/2 lemon

Combine all ingredients, and cover tightly. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before using.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:30 am
agreer wrote:
Also... you really don't need that much food at a meal, unless you have a huge family or a lot of guests.

fish, soup/salad, 1 main, 1 veggie, 1 carb side dish per meal + challah should be plenty.

And if you really want to diet - skip the mayo-based dips.

Realistically, that is twice as much food as a person needs for a meal. There are two proteins (fish, main) and two carbs (carb side dish, challah). And many soups are not diet-safe or diabetic-safe either: they contain potatoes or sweet potatoes or winter squash, which is considered a carb.

And portions are big and you sit around with family and guests for hours and you do this for days at a time.

The only way I manage is by skipping most of the meal. Salad, small portion of main, veggie. Water and tea. Done. It's harder when I am a guest, but very easy when I'm serving others because I'm in and out of the kitchen all the time anyway, preparing the next course.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 7:25 am
Super easy is to make a big orange soup using frozen carrots and butternut squash. (or other veggies) You can also use frozen onions and garlic. Flavour with cumin and coriander or fresh ginger.

I always make a healthy veg side (for me and for any guests) Roasted cauliflower is easy, or roasted squash "smiles", braised or roasted purple cabbage.

White fish, salmon, chicken without skin. (white is best but I hate it) If I am doing salmon as a starter I cut each slice in half. I find most of my guests only eat 1/8th of a chicken.

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 8:21 am
I will share my favorite salad, which can be lunch in and of itself.

Salad greens (spinach/romaine/kale-whichever you like)
Bell pepper
Cucumbers
Tomato
Optional-avocado
Optional-olives
Optional-black beans
Optional-corn (baby or regular)

Ground turkey made into taco meat.

Dump the meat on top and mix.

That is all!!!

*** taco seasoning is not low in sodium, even the 40% less sodium is still to high if you are on a low sodium diet.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 8:52 am
https://montrealgazette.com/li.....honey

The edamame hearts of palm zaatar salad is very mild, though it does call for rice vinegar.
The last time I made it, the avocados weren't good so I used grape tomatoes. It went over really well!

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 9:01 am
Not dietetic in the low calorie way, but we aim for nutrient dense whole foods. This is not all for one meal, we're going to mix and match.

gluten free raisin rolls
spelt pull apart challah
garlic confit
dill dip
tomato dip
orange salmon
euro fruit salad with pomegranate and balsamic dressing
carrot apple ginger soup with honey glazed pecans
tomato basil soup
pan fried rib steak with pomegranate sauce
vegetable capons
roasted baby potatoes
mini grain free carrot muffins
honey roasted heirloom carrots
cucumber salad
cauliflower rice with peppers, mushrooms and onions, seasoned with coconut aminos
grain free apple pear cranberry crisp
gluten free apple cake
strawberry applesauce

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:05 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Not dietetic in the low calorie way, but we aim for nutrient dense whole foods. This is not all for one meal, we're going to mix and match.

gluten free raisin rolls
spelt pull apart challah
garlic confit
dill dip
tomato dip
orange salmon
carrot apple ginger soup with honey glazed pecans
tomato basil soup
pan fried rib steak with pomegranate sauce
vegetable capons
roasted baby potatoes
honey roasted heirloom carrots
cucumber salad
cauliflower rice with peppers, mushrooms and onions, seasoned with coconut aminos
gluten free apple cake
strawberry applesauce

Sounds so delicious and my healthy eating style too!!!

I hope I'm not asking for too much, I would appreciate it if you would please share the following recipes:

orange salmon
gluten free apple cake

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:24 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Sounds so delicious and my healthy eating style too!!!

I hope I'm not asking for too much, I would appreciate it if you would please share the following recipes:

orange salmon
gluten free apple cake

so the orange salmon isn't a real recipe I'll probably just marinate the salmon in some orange juice and coconut aminos for like half hour, drizzle with honey and bake @ 400 for 25 minutes

the salad is spring mix or baby spinach and kale from organic girl, cubed mango and kiwi and pomegranate arils. The dressing is a bit of light olive oil, some balsamic vinegar, a pinch of coconut sugar or stevia. shake in container, pour over salad

carrot muffins I don't have a recipe but will google paleo carrot muffins and settle on one.

the crisp: peel and cube apples and pears (about 4 apples and 4 pears) into a 9x13, add some fresh or frozen cranberries (not too much because they're pretty sour), squeeze lemon over, 1T of tapioca or potato starch, mix to combine and coat. Topping: 1/3 c almond flour, 1/3 c coconut flour (I sometimes do 1/4c each and add 1/4 c gf oats), sprinkle of cinnamon, 2T coconut sugar, 1-2T coconut oil to make crumbs, sprinkle over fruit and bake @350 for about 2hrs until fruit is soft. If it gets too brown before the fruit is soft I turn it down to 325

cauliflower rice: steam 2 bags riced cauliflower until very soft, drain. sautee 2 onions, 2 red peppers until soft, add sliced mushrooms and sautee a bit longer. Combine with cauliflower, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and 1/4c coconut aminos.

gluten free apple cake, I just took someone's regular apple cake recipe and modified it, not sure how it's gonna turn out Wink
4 apples peeled and cubed into the bottom of a 9inch round pan, mix with a fork in a bowl 3eggs, 3/4c oil (I did 1/2c oil and 1/4c applesauce), 1.5tsp vanilla extract, 1c sugar (I did 1/4c coconut sugar and 1.5tsp stevia). Add 1c flour (I used bob's red mill 1to1gf baking mix) and 1tsp baking powder. Pour batter over apples, bake @350 for 1 hr.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur