Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Toys are everywhere!

mommyfish

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:21 pm
Hi! I live in a home with only a small closet for toys but over the years my kids have amassed a lot more toys then fit in said closet. We don’t have a playroom. I have a cube organizer but there are still toys everywhere. I’m looking for a wooden closet type thing that I can organize to hold a significant amount of toys but can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. Anyone have any ideas?

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:59 pm
Maybe a secondhand amoire - lots of storage, but a classy wooden furniture piece.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 11:08 pm
Ikea PAX, with the extra sliding bins. It's not cheap, but it's a great investment and you won't be sorry. Clean up time is so easy. Each kid gets a basket to collect toys, and then dumps them in the bin. The bins come out so you can take them into a play area, as well. They're much lighter than the traditional wooden toy box.

SingALong

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 3:24 am
Would you consider purging some toys? So you have just enough that fits in your closet and the organizer you brought? I do that all the time as my toys are frequently overflowing out of their space. Whenever it feels out of control, I look at which toys my kids seem not to play with often or at all and I throw it out or give it away. I’d do that first before buying more storage for toys. Unless your kids really love and use each and every toy you have
I also relocated the playmobil and small LEGO to my boys room into toy boxes under the bed. The mess was out of control when I kept that stuff in the playroom together with he toddler stuff and big kid games. If you have a certain toy that’s specific to one kid do you have place in their bedroom for it?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 3:56 am
We use boxes, wood and plastic. But bh this is a living home!!

salt

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 4:31 am
Have you got storage space out of reach? I would cycle toys. Keep what fits in the toy storage space that you have, and put some toys away in a high-up closet or shelves, or under a bed or in a storeroom or something.
And every month or so, rotate them. They games that you take out, will seem like new.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 4:37 am
One of my DDs recently weeded out the toy closet and said that when it comes to toys, less is more.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:53 am
You’re not gonna like my advice, which btw applies to clothes, plants, books, dishes, shoes, dry goods, photos and anything else you collect: decide how much space you will allot to each category, and when that’s full, STOP. Get rid of everything that doesn’t fit in that space*, and enforce a strict in-out rule: no new “tenant” without evicting an old one. And be honest: tossing one menchie does not entitle you to acquire a life-size baby doll.

Unless you have octuplets AND triplets, you have waaaaay more toys than your kids will ever need. An entire closet full of toys—even if it is a small one—could outfit a whole kindergarten. IME kids really play with only a small fraction of their playthings, just as adults usually wear only a small fraction of their clothes. Keep the best, toss the rest.

* by selling, giving away, recycling or discarding—preferably the first three.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 7:21 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Ikea PAX, with the extra sliding bins. It's not cheap, but it's a great investment and you won't be sorry. Clean up time is so easy. Each kid gets a basket to collect toys, and then dumps them in the bin. The bins come out so you can take them into a play area, as well. They're much lighter than the traditional wooden toy box.

Ikea Stuva is cheaper and just as great if you don't need the customization of width sizes. Stuva comes in 24" wide only. I have quite a few of them and love it!

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 7:25 am
Op, also, for sure go through the stuff and throw out or put away in storage as much as you can.

It's great training for the kids as well.

Periodically we sit down with their boxes of prizes (ahem junk) and we go through it together. They get to decide what they want to keep and what is ready for the garbage. They surprise me sometimes with the amount of stuff they're ready to dump.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics