Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Did you fast YK when pregnant with twins?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 11:15 am
I just found out I'm having twins, and my dr doesn't want me fasting on YK. When I asked the rav, he was wondering if shiurim would be enough.
Anyone not fast doing shiurim, or do I simply not fast?
I'm extremely early, and will be 7.5 weeks on YK.
Thanks!

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 11:18 am
I remember my doctor telling me that fasting can bring on labour sometimes. I would listen to your Dr.

Teomima

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 11:27 am
I didn't fully fast, but I did only drink water. Had I felt unwell, I'd have eaten, too.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 11:43 am
When my MIL was pregnant with twins, she was told by her rav she MUST eat normally.
So please listen to your doctor and rav, every women and every pregnancy is different. If you're told to eat, you're mechayiv to eat just like the rest of us are mechayiv to fast.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 11:51 am
I was told to do shiurim. I was about 8 months at that point and on bedrest.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 11:56 am
I was on bedrest (not twins though) and about 4 months pregnant. Dr told me to eat but that shiurim were ok as long I do it every 9 minutes religiously the entire day.
I made nutrition-packed smoothies and took an ounce of it each time.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:00 pm
I was in my 7th month.
My dr told me to have shiurim.
I was ‘young and dumb’ at that time.
Didn’t take it seriously and didn’t speak to a rav about fasting/shiurim. I thought I’d Be fine.
2:00 Yom Kippur afternoon contractions started, still didn’t break it (young and dumb Smile). Motzai Yom Kippur ended up in the hospital with contractions which Bh they stopped.
From then on though I was in and out of the hospital with contractions until I had them at 35.5 weeks.
Bottom line don’t do anything stupid.
Listen to your dr and rav.

My next pregnancy I spoke to a rav and mid afternoon started getting contractions. I took shiurim and Bh it stopped. I got smarter lol!!!

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:15 pm
I didn't fast while pregnant with twins, but I fasted while 6 months pregnant (with a singleton) and nursing an 8 month old...
I was totally fine, I have no clue how I did it. This year I'm 'only' nursing a 4 month old and freaking out about fasting.
May hashem give us all koach!!

melbee

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:16 pm
I was about 6 months pregnant with twins and fasted YK with shiurim of Gatorade. I stayed in bed the whole day and got through it better than I expected. But if I felt at all sick or dizzy, I was told to break the fast. BH I didn't need to.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:43 pm
I haven't been pregnant with twins but my instinctive reaction to your q is hell no!!!
With my first I was maybe 4m? Still barely showing. Rav very reluctantly gave me a heter for shiurim which I didn't use. Come neilah I was seeing spots and the Shul cleaning lady was even asking if I'm OK. I took shiurim and luckily didn't faint.
I got smarter by second baby. I was 9m pregnant on Tisha bav (nidcha) I didn't even bother asking (with dh permission not to lol).

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:52 pm
I did shiurim when I was6 months pregnant with triplets. You'd be shocked how much you can eat and drink. IIRC I drank orange juice and ate. Macaroni and cheese (not together) and crackers. I did it religiously and stayed in bed. I was totally fine when fast was over.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 1:46 pm
OP- I will also be 7.5 weeks pregnant on yom kippur IYH, however, I dont know if its 1 or 2 babies because I have not been to the doctor yet. I remember my rav telling me to do shiurim on yom kippur when I was about 11 weeks pregnant in my previous pregnancy. Im wondering if I can assume this is what I should do since I would prefer not to tell my rav im pregnant this early.

chipsy

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just found out I'm having twins, and my dr doesn't want me fasting on YK. When I asked the rav, he was wondering if shiurim would be enough.
Thanks!

I fasted on Tisha B'av at about that point in my pregnancy (I was due early March) and then on Yom Kippur with Dr. approval in both cases and no issues (maybe some contractions on YK). I gave birth at a full 38 weeks.

However with another pregnancy was in my 7th or 8th month and was told not to fast at all on TB by the same rav. Gave birth on my due date, a day after YK.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:05 pm
I fasted on yom kippur when being in my 7th, was ok bh , was in bed a whole day.
The main thing is to follow the ravs advice ( my dr told me not to fast).

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!

B'shaa tova.

IMNSHO, explain "shiurim" to your doctor, and ask if that's OK. If its not, your health, and the babies' health, come first.

IF YOU DO SHIURUM make sure to ask the doctor what signs you should look for that would mean that you should eat/drink more. Then talk to your rabbi IN ADVANCE to confirm that you should follow that advice (if you're the type who would want rabbinic approval).

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:24 pm
If you don't want to call your personal Rav, maybe call the halachic hotline in Lakewood.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:27 pm
I was in my 7th with twins and on bedrest. I fasted with IV which had electrolytes and sugar in it. This was a workaround that my doctor and rav were happy with. My rav actually said to just do what the doctor says.
I had the IV in me on a slow drip the entire day, and had yogurt prepared to do shiurim just in case I start getting contractions. I actually started getting contractions about one hour before the end of the day, so I just ignored for that hour, and they went away when I broke my fast.
PLEASE don't go to shul! Fasting is more important than anything else, so if you do want to fast, you'll have to stay in bed all day. Of course, if your rav tells you not to fast, your mitzva is to follow what your rav says.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:28 pm
When I was 28 weeks pregnant with twins on YK I was told to drink regularly (all fluids - water, gatorade, protein shakes, etc.) and eat solid foods via shiurim, which were measured out in separate baggies ahead of time to minimize confusion.

Obviously every psak is individual, but that's what I did.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:56 pm
I did not fast when having twins I would
Do everything I could to have healthy twins

chmom

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 3:41 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I fasted on yom kippur when being in my 7th, was ok bh , was in bed a whole day.
The main thing is to follow the ravs advice ( my dr told me not to fast).

Are you saying if the Rav and the doctor disagree follow the Rav‘s advice?
I strongly disagree with this!
If the Rav disagrees with the doctor‘s advice you need to get another psak.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more