Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Dont Rush your kids?

thegiver

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 8:13 pm
If you don’t how do you manage to be on time? What are you telling yourself? I kind of put my kids on a roller coaster of my emotions.

All the pressured words: Put on your seatbelt. Brush your teeth. Put your toys away. In the shower. Now. I told you. I said. You can do it—hurry up. Lets run. Lets catch him before lineup.

Or walking faster than their pace and having them run or stumble to keep up...

Of course being early is a solution but those days are not the problem. let’s say you happen to run late. What then?

flower2

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 9:21 pm
Why can't you rush your kids if you are running late?

Optione

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 9:22 pm
As long as those are the exception and not the rule, I would think that your kids will be fine.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 9:31 pm
What are the consequences for being late? If it's really not a huge deal, and we're late anyway, the extra two minutes it takes to walk at their pace is not going to make it or break it. For the occasional lateness that is a big deal, it's ok, they'll deal with it.

thegiver

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 10:53 pm
The morning rush is not iccasional

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 11:16 pm
"Chanala sweetie, I need you to put on your shoes right now, it's getting late honey. Oh wow, what a listener you are!!"

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 3:24 am
thegiver wrote:

Mornings happen every day, but rushed mornings should be rare. Get up early. It's hard but very rewarding.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 4:39 am
I am NOT a morning person. My brain just works better at night, so in the morning I need to be on autopilot.

Plan ahead the night before. Lay out all clothes, down to socks and underwear. Pack lunches and snacks before you go to bed. Have breakfast prepped as much as possible, or at least a plan. Everyone's homework and books should be organized in backpacks, by the front door.

Always pad your timing to allow for emergencies. Being a bit early is better than being hectic and stressed. An extra half hour before you go to bed is better than a half hour in the morning of yelling at your kids.

Get your kids involved in picking out clothes for the next day and packing lunches. Have them be responsible for books, signed homework, and permission slips. This will help them learn organizational skills and executive functioning (a life skill that is crucial for adults, and sadly many of us were not taught when we were kids.)

Reward, reward, reward! Sticker charts for kids who are cheerful and cooperative in the morning.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:01 am
thegiver wrote:
OP, if the morning getting out the door line up feels rushed you have to get up earlier. This happened to my daughter. We were running around like chickens without their heads on and never getting anywhere and almost missing the bus every day. So, we turned the alarm clock on 15 minutes earlier. There was no choice.
If this is an every day occurrence, then the whole morning routine NEEDS a whole change.
Its more worth it, in my opinion, to get a bit less sleep and have everyone's morning be a bit less stressful than have everyone running like crazies and yelling and screaming going on.

Can you try this? In my opinion, very worth it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:17 am
that's life. Nothing will happen.

pizza4

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 8:38 am
Figure out how much time you really need in the morning, counting the time it takes to get yourself and the kids awake. And allow for that much time. Technically you can get everyone ready in 25 minutes, but if you allow for 45 to an hour, you can all be that much calmer.
Some days I ask my kids what they'd like for breakfast right when they wake up and they get ready on their own while I prepare it. Then I help them with whatever still needs help while they eat. Other days we get all ready and they like to eat while coloring or doing stickers.
Also you can try getting your kids to put their shoes in one spot when they take em off at night. Mine don't, yet.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 2:36 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
What are the consequences for being late? If it's really not a huge deal, and we're late anyway, the extra two minutes it takes to walk at their pace is not going to make it or break it. For the occasional lateness that is a big deal, it's ok, they'll deal with it.

When it involves older kids who DO have consequences, it CAN be a big deal. My daughter has a daily quiz every morning that she will get an automatic 0 on if she is late. And if a younger sibling makes her late, that's not an excuse.
So yes, I have to rush my kids if they want to dawdle.
I have one who fluctuates between being the first ready and not being in the mood to get dressed. Plenty of time allotted; doesn't mean it will be used wisely....and my 2 yo? Forget it.

Middle elementary kids who can start taking responsibility for their own actions I don't worry about (go to school late, fine....but they can stay home by themselves while dropping off others....you can't do that for kids under 8 or so!)

So yes. I rush. That's life if you decide that you didn't want to get dressed right away and you had plenty of time.

(We also have incentives built in and kids who struggle on a regular basis might go through a chart system...but on a daily basis, if I have to leave to account for other kids' needs, you have to be ready. Too bad.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics