Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Dairy in meat instant pot!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 6:35 pm
I’m so embarrassed.

I just realized the next day that I accidentally used my meat instant pot to make a dairy pasta dish. (The instant pot hadn’t been used several days before this).

In rushing while dealing with whining kids before dinner time I used the wrong instant pot.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is my instant pot completely traif now? I can’t afford to buy a whole new one. I’m so embarrassed to ask my rabbi. I will ask him.

But I’m curious to here what happened in your situation?

tichellady

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 7:39 pm
It probably depends on what was in the dish. The fact that it has not been used in a few days may make it ok. I’m sorry this happened to you. Definitely call and ask, these things happen to everyone

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 8:00 pm
This is very much a question for your LOR. Not being ben Yomo often helps but the instant pot lid is not easily cleaned or kashered. Still depending on what was actually in it ( like if it was just pasta and you added cheese after cooking) or if it was mamas dairy) it may or may not be ok.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 8:40 pm
Okay, I just emailed my rabbi with all the specific details. I really really hope there is a way to salvage my instant pot. I really want to use it to make food for yom tov.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:29 pm
Update - my rabbi finally got back to me. For my particular case, I just need to kasher the inner metal pot.

I’m so glad my whole instant pot isn’t trief now.

So, if you mess up like me, ask your rabbi. There is hope your instant pot isn’t completely trief.

watergirl

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:35 pm
What about replacing the silicone ring? Does he know it has that part?

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:40 pm
OP buying a new inner pot is only $30 or so. If thats easier for you then kashering. You can get one on amazon

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 5:53 pm
Glad that worked out for you. Curious what you’d describe your rabbi’s derech as. I know some who’d have given you a hard time about the lid because of steam. That would be a hard hit to take. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want. I find the ways of kashrut curious. It may or may not be a lenient peak, I’m not even guessing just curious.

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Thu, Sep 26 2019, 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 5:54 pm
Kashering a metal pot is really simple. Just have a larger pot with boiling water and drop it in, and it's done.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 1:26 am
andrea levy wrote:
Glad that worked out for you. Curious what you’d describe your rabbi’s derech as. I know some who’d have given you a hard time about the lid because of steam. That would be a hard hit to take. You don’t have to answer if you don’t want. I find the ways of kashrut curious. It may or may not be a lenient peak, I’m not even guessing just curious.

I've no idea what the considerations were in this case, but I remember a Rav once saying that when people begin to seriously learn hilchot Shabbat they discover so many things that they thought were ok that are actually asur, but when they begin to learn hilchot kashrut they discover so many things that they thought were asur that are actually completely permitted.

Maybe some of those considerations, that we normally avoid for risk of making mistakes came into play in giving this psak.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions