Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Whats OU Psak of using Spinach for Smoothies (not "Nikar")?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 9:45 am
Would the checking be the same as when using Spinach leaves for a salad, or totally usable with minimal checking in a Smoothie because bugs arent Nikar?

I know someone Chassidish who says her Psak was that using Spinach with minimal checking is ok because nothing is Nikar.

I was on hold with the OU Kashrus questions department for a long time this week, and no one ever picked up.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 10:02 am
No. Not the same.

There is a very serious issue with eating a whole bug.

In a smoothie, the bug would be pulverized if it was there.

As long as the bugs aren't visible, you can grind up the leaves even though there MIGHT be bugs there, and you can DRINK it because there's no whole bugs.

But in a salad, all bugs would be whole, so you must check to make sure there aren't if it can be assumed that there probably are.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 10:13 am
I just got through to CRC and the way I understood it (others can call to see if thats what they understand as well), is when Spinach, etc is blended, as in Smoothies, a simple rinse and checking is sufficient.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 10:20 am
Now my question is do you lose any nutrition value when blending Spinach?

Are eating whole leaves healthier than blended?

syrima

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 10:30 am
yes I've heard that too, that there will be no whole bugs left so it's ok to not check the way you have to for a salad. would apply also to romaine and kale. And unless you let it sit for DAYS, I think the nutritional value is still there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen