Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Rav experienced with medication issues

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 3:24 pm
My child is taking some medications for mental health concerns that may interfere with fasting. He is almost 13 and we need to discuss with a rav to understand the best approach to take. Can anyone suggest a rav who has deep experience with psychiatric illness?

Thank you.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:05 pm
If it's a boy under bar mitzvah I am not sure what the question is. He doesn't have to fast .

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 6:06 pm
Well yes, you're right that he's not halachically required this year, though he will be shortly.

However, this is a long-term issue that is not going to go away before next year, and since this is a fast he would be fasting if not for the medication I want to get hadracha about what he should do and how to address it with him. Is it better to have him drink regularly in the morning and at a break so he can participate in shul as normal or should be doing shiurim the way I expect he'll need to do next year, which will mean much less participation in shul and the risk of having to deal with questions. For Tzom Gedalia, do we teach him to fast half the day so he can empathize with his classmates but not run any medical risks or is it case that once he's not fasting he shouldn't do anything at all?

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 9:52 pm
Rav tzinner in Boro park

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 9:54 pm
Why would a 12 year old fast on Yom Kippur?

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 9:59 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Why would a 12 year old fast on Yom Kippur?

Many of them do, as practice, so that when they are mechuyav they have some experience.

I don't know the parameters of your dc's meds. Mine doesn't have a specific water requirement, so he takes his meds with under a shiur of water. And if necessary, another under a shiur ten minutes later to get the rest down. He has several meds and supplements, and we spoke with his psychiatrist about what kind of flexibility we might have with which meds. For example, he has one that builds up over time, so instead of the morning that day, he can take it when the fast is over. The others, he can't do that.

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 11:51 pm
Harav Zisha Ausch 718-496-4911
Dayan, very knowledgable with medical and psychiatric field
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions