Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Beautiful segula on rosh hashanah
1  2  Next

pizza4

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:14 pm
I just heard about this thing and it feels appropriate so I'm going to give it a try.
There's a segulah brought from a sefer to say the entire tehillim twice the first rosh hashanah night. There are amazing stories of yeshuos people had the year after doing this.
Someone had a hard time having kids with costly treatment, that year had a baby. A group of older singles did this and within the year got engaged and married. Someone was sick and in and out of the hospital, that year didn't have any health scares.
I think its something special I could do when the kids are in bed to elevate my yomtov to be more than food and a grabbed few minutes of tefillah.
I thought I'd share if any of you would like to do this too!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:33 pm
How many hours would that take? I think you would need to be up literally all night. How could you focus on davening the next morning? I hope it works for you, but please take care of yourself; it's not good to go without sleep at all.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 1:18 am
Planning to split it with other people for an older single. Would you mention her name? Or not say a particular name because not meant to daven for individuals on rosh hashana and single them out?

Surrendered

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 2:41 am
I appreciate your posting this beautiful segula.
I would like to try saying it (its on my Birthday).
Waiting for our big Yeshua...

OldYoung

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 5:06 am
It’s because 150 perakim of tehillim x 2 = כפר / 300

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 6:30 am
OldYoung wrote:
It’s because 150 perakim of tehillim x 2 = כפר / 300
??? And what does that have to do with saying this on rosh hashana?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 6:37 am
Hey, OY, long time no see ;-D
There is something very bracing about completing Tehillim in one sitting. I just heard a shiur from Rabbi Eliezer Krohn (or his brother) on Tehillim and he stresses the value of knowing the meaning of the words. So to anyone who wants to try the segulah, take moments here and there to think about what you're saying and why vs. mumbling words to finish.

I also heard of a practice of saying the entire sefer Tehillim, 15 perakim a day, through the aseres yemei teshuva. That might be more doable.

And to anyone who starts but didn't finish, don't beat yourself up that it won't "work." Hashem loves all sincere reaching out to Him as the only One who can truly effect the yeshuos you seek. You get lots of points, however you reach out.

pizza4

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 7:01 am
I'm planning to do it with dh. I'm not going to stress about it, if I'm falling asleep I'll go to bed. (On my wedding day I also wanted to say the whole sefer but didn't! I just continued whenever I could till I finished it eventually.)

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 8:33 am
Thanks for sharing.

honeymoon

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 8:42 am
I make an effort to complete Tehillim twice over the course of the yamim noraim, starting rosh hashana until hoshana rabbah. I'm a busy mom and even this takes effort and time. I hope Hashem will grant me a wonderful year, while doing the best I can. For me, stressing out to finish the first night would effect my family and would totally defeat the purpose. Whoever can complete tehillim twice in one night, that's amazing!

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 8:59 am
I did it and BH was answered!!

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 9:05 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Hey, OY, long time no see ;-D
There is something very bracing about completing Tehillim in one sitting. I just heard a shiur from Rabbi Eliezer Krohn (or his brother) on Tehillim and he stresses the value of knowing the meaning of the words. So to anyone who wants to try the segulah, take moments here and there to think about what you're saying and why vs. mumbling words to finish.

I also heard of a practice of saying the entire sefer Tehillim, 15 perakim a day, through the aseres yemei teshuva. That might be more doable.

And to anyone who starts but didn't finish, don't beat yourself up that it won't "work." Hashem loves all sincere reaching out to Him as the only One who can truly effect the yeshuos you seek. You get lots of points, however you reach out.

I like the idea of doing 15 perakim a day. Much more doable! Though I'd have to be careful and not try to do 14 other perakim on the day I do Perek 119! Maybe I'll take the schedule that divides it up into 30 days and do 3 days' worth each time.

I try to understand what everything means before/as I am saying it, and I find this takes a long time. But if I don't do that, I can't focus, so the reality is that it takes me longer.

OldYoung

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 10:02 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
??? And what does that have to do with saying this on rosh hashana?

כפר
As in kaparah / forgiveness.

Not saying it works, but that’s a source I heard in reference to this custom/segulah. (Which I happen to think is beautiful. As a side note, I actually heard that this was for Yom Kippur, which might make more sense, and even be an easier time for some people anyway...)

Hi pf ☺️

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 2:57 pm
So good to see you OldYoung! Wishing you and yours a K'siva V'chasima Tova!

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 5:30 pm
So my husband did it.
Reb elimelech bidderman was talking about it. He's a Talmud of reb elimelech.
So He said it once the first yom tov night, then got up at 5 thr next morning to say it again. And after that he was off to be bal tefila in out local shul. It was an exhausting, moiradig and beautiful day.

We had an MRI done for one of our kids.
The test was done 3 weeks ago, I pushed off calling to doctor for results till after rosh hashana (No urgent matter) if the results aren't as expected, it means major surgery within the next few months/year and major rehab recovery.
I'm hopung he "poiled" ois.
We should all have a gut gebencht sweet new year with lots of bracha and kol tuv.

pizza4

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 7:12 pm
We did it...
My husband spoke to our rav about some things and mentioned this also and he said we should say the tehillim after chatzos when there's middas harachamim. I said no way I'm backing out of this. But it meant a lot to dh so I said I'll try to wake up, it'll be an experience... We went to sleep at 10pm, I woke up at 2, dh was up and unsure if he should wake me!
It took 3 HOURS! We each said the sefer once. It was such an amazing feeling and it really made my rosh hashanah so meaningful. And I was tired but not especially exhausted because of it and I was kind of on a high from the accomplishment. So it was really nice and I'm glad we did it. Hoping Hashem will grant us an amazing year full of good, bounty and love with everything that we prayed for and for all Jews and mashiach speedily.

honeymoon

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 7:23 pm
I actually managed to finish the entire sefer tehillim twice this Rosh Hashana, once each day! I said most of it at night while kids were sleeping and the rest I said whenever I had a spare minute. It was such an uplifting feeling and I'm grateful I managed it.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 7:27 pm
I saw the video with the rav talking about this segula. He mentioned that there were 30 older bochrim in a certain yeshiva that did this segulah and 29 found a shidduch. This brings me to my question. We are always wary of saying that any segulah actually "works". Meaning people doing the segulah have success in a particular issue more than others. Examples would be people saying tehilim find shidduchim more, don't struggle with money issues as much, ect. Is this possible, or is this segulah just about getting closer to hashem without really changing the results?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 7:52 pm
We did it too. Split in with my husband and two kids. Hope everyone's tefillos are answered!

pizza4

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 9:09 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I saw the video with the rav talking about this segula. He mentioned that there were 30 older bochrim in a certain yeshiva that did this segulah and 29 found a shidduch. This brings me to my question. We are always wary of saying that any segulah actually "works". Meaning people doing the segulah have success in a particular issue more than others. Examples would be people saying tehilim find shidduchim more, don't struggle with money issues as much, ect. Is this possible, or is this segulah just about getting closer to hashem without really changing the results?

I'm not so clear on this and also usually wary of segulos. My mother always looked for all kinds of segulos; I'd just roll my eyes and wish she'd be normal. (People who bury themselves in prayer and such, can be quite emotionally unhealthy.)
But this is an innocuous thing. It's tehillim. Prayer. Not doing weird things. Not bothering anyone other than myself, and some of my sleep. It isn't something I'll do on a daily basis! I'm not spending hours davening and ignoring my family. It does bring us closer to Hashem- He wants to hear from us. So it sure can't hurt to try.
I have more thoughts on this but too tired to sort them out.
Hope I'm somewhat clear!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur