Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
I forgot to put aside Fish Tails for after Yomim Tovim, WWYD

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 11:44 am
I froze the entire package of salmon and after defrosting I realized I forgot to put aside the Fish tails, like I usually do when freezing fish to cook for R"H. Now theyre cooked with the rest of the salmon.

Would you use them over Yom Tov? I dont think I can freeze already cooked fish (was cooked in wine/lemon sauce)?

watergirl

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 11:51 am
These are all cute minhagim. Not anything remotely close to a halacha. Nothing will happen if you serve the tail. Or cut it off and eat it as a snack later. This is not pesach.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:02 pm
watergirl wrote:
These are all cute minhagim. Not anything remotely close to a halacha. Nothing will happen if you serve the tail. Or cut it off and eat it as a snack later. This is not pesach.

DH said hed eat it, and Im aghast, haha. Ti'hiyeh LRosh vLO Lzanav!

sky

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:24 pm
I got the tail of salmon - 3 actually.
I cut them like rest of sliced.
We don’t use it with simanim but as part of meal I think it’s fine.

iyar

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:53 pm
Like watergirl said, it’s not Pesach.
These are all beautiful minhagim, don’t stress over them. Dip your apple in the honey like the song says, and enjoy whatever else you managed to get on your Yom Tov table.
The only thing I wanted to add - black eyed peas and dates are very prone to infestation by gross little insects. If you don’t have the time to check them or don’t know how, skip those.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 3:03 pm
iyar wrote:
The only thing I wanted to add - black eyed peas and dates are very prone to infestation by gross little insects. If you don’t have the time to check them or don’t know how, skip those.

B"H Neither of those two have ever been either my husband's family Minhag or mine.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 4:55 pm
We dont even do the head of the fish because EEEWWWWWW.
It's fun, it's cute, it's not mandatory.

urban gypsy

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 5:23 pm
I don’t understand this post
Are you saying there is a minhag NOT to eat fish tails ?!?!?!
I’ve never heard of such a thing
Did you make this up because you’re being extremely literal or you actually heard this somewhere?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 8:47 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
I don’t understand this post
Are you saying there is a minhag NOT to eat fish tails ?!?!?!
I’ve never heard of such a thing
Did you make this up because you’re being extremely literal or you actually heard this somewhere?

OP here I think I learned of this Minhag in Bais Yaakov and from parents and in laws.

momof2+?

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 9:21 pm
Question related to this concept. My husband bought a yummy marinated salad from the store before yom tov. I noticed it has vinegar in it. Can we eat it? Or not until after sukkos?

giselle

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 10:44 pm
momof2+? wrote:
Question related to this concept. My husband bought a yummy marinated salad from the store before yom tov. I noticed it has vinegar in it. Can we eat it? Or not until after sukkos?

Please don’t eat the salad after sukkos.

tf

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 11:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OP here I think I learned of this Minhag in Bais Yaakov and from parents and in laws.

The minhag is to say the Yehi rutsoin before eating a piece of the head. Even though we say veLO LEZUNOV it doesn't mean not to eat the tail. It means that the year should reflect a head and not a tail. Eating the tail is just like eating any part of the fish body.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 3:20 pm
tail????

momof2+?

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:39 pm
I wouldn't eat the salad after sukkos🤐
Question is if I am allowed to eat it before then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur