Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Asparagus don't look great- ideas?

applesbananas

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 9:26 pm
I placed a grocery order for delivery and the asparagus they sent dont look good. Light in color, thick and slightly shriveled. Use or throw? Any specific way to cook them to look appetizing?

naturalmom5

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 9:59 pm
Garbage
Hopefully store will give you credit

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:04 pm
Don't throw them out unless they're slimy or smelly even after rinsing. You can make a yummy asparagus soup.

applesbananas

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:16 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Don't throw them out unless they're slimy or smelly even after rinsing. You can make a yummy asparagus soup.

Dont need soup thou and wanted to use for a veggie side dish. Not gonna drive myself crazy trying to figure out how to repurpose them on erev yt unless its simple

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:20 pm
I made cream Of asparagus soup and blended a bunch of times in the processer and it still had loads of pieces .

trixx

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:20 pm
Just roast 425 with olive oil, salt and pepper for 20ish minutes

ra_mom

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 11:45 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I made cream Of asparagus soup and blended a bunch of times in the processer and it still had loads of pieces .

Did you snap the ends off properly? Or did you use frozen? Yuck I've had that. They throw in the woodsy ends of the asparagus in the frozen packages and only give you half of the actual vegetable. Then you have to throw out the whole soup and no part of it is salvageable.

applesbananas

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 11:48 pm
trixx wrote:
Just roast 425 with olive oil, salt and pepper for 20ish minutes

That was the plan. Dunno if I should bother. They look kinda like they are bad ... guess at this point I have nothing to lose

pizza4

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:19 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:

I end up straining the entire soup when I make cream of asparagus. It's worth it though it's so good.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 9:05 am
another vote for cooking in frying pan or on baking sheet in oven, a little soy sauce, some fresh garlic & garlic powder, black pepper + a little olive oil ... [unless it's slimy then don't use it]

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 9:06 am
pizza4 wrote:
I end up straining the entire soup when I make cream of asparagus. It's worth it though it's so good.

It's awful that they include the inedible parts in the frozen asparagus.

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 9:34 am
ra_mom wrote:
It's awful that they include the inedible parts in the frozen asparagus.

I get sand when I use the frozen spinach. You would think they could clean them.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 2:26 pm
Squishy wrote:
I get sand when I use the frozen spinach. You would think they could clean them.

Yuck.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 5:15 pm
pizza4 wrote:

It's much less work, money and tastier to make it from fresh asparagus and since the soup is pureed you don't even need the frozen.

pizza4

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 5:59 pm
I thought there's a problem to get fresh, with bugs. Maybe I'm mistaken?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen