Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Therapist for a parent dealing with ADHD child

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 6:52 pm
Spent yom tov in constant battles with my six year old DD. We know she likely has ADHD (genetics and per her pediatrician) but I need to learn techniques with how to deal with her. I was in tears at the end of yom Tov and I know this is terrible to say, but I’m seriously dreading the half day of school tomorrow. Not looking forward to more battles... I love her to pieces and she has a heart of gold and is a great student in school though she has difficulty following directions and listening to authority. Looking for a therapist or parenting coach to help me learn how to parent her so I can help her be the best she can be. (preferably one on one) and also looking for a therapist for her. Lakewood area. thanks in advance!

flmommy

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 7:10 pm
Its so hard. I have three kids with ADD. I read all the books and worked with a behavior therapist. Honestly nothing worked except medicine in our case. I can now stand to be around my children and they get along so much better. I used to dread Yom Tov and vacations. I hope you find relief. Behavior therapists and reading raising your spirited child are the usual two recommendations.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 10:29 pm
I would recommend Levi Yitzchok Albert - ly@iloveadhd.com

Surrendered

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 1:10 am
I second Meds. It is the only (effective) way to go.
I've got 3 yummy kids with ADHD. We've 'tried it all' before going to medication.
Don't waste more of your energy, give meds. It's a lifesaver.

I was very against medicating children for many years, and suffered. I gave in when all other alternatives failed and my energy was totally depleted. I felt like a horrible mother, almost hated my precious innocent kids. Until I came to my senses and gave them what they were lacking. There's a time and place for everything.
The kids are happier. We now have a loving relationship and calm happy mommy.

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 3:13 am
1. Get her tested, ASAP.

2. Depending on the diagnosis, you can figure next steps. (If your insurance allows ABA, contact BrainBuilders, they're amazing. They'll do parent training and work with the kid.)

3. Talk to other parents and look for support groups that might work for you.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:25 am
Not op. Which meds do you recommend? I’ve tried a few for my dd and she seemed agitated on them.

flmommy

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:32 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Not op. Which meds do you recommend? I’ve tried a few for my dd and she seemed agitated on them.

We had good luck with The generic of Foculin ER. How long did you stick with the meds? It takes some time for their bogies to get used to the med. Our dr had us start with a low dose and slowly get higher until proper dose was met.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)