Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Frum kids magazines vs books

southernbubby

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 12:48 am
I would imagine that the popularity of kids magazines has surpassed that of books just as the frum family magazines have affected sales of books in English. I know that the grandchildren that I am currently visiting like a magazine called Marshmallow and try to collect them.

OTOH, books are durable and timeless, but OTOH, the magazines are cheaper initially and more exciting because they are sequelized. My kids would rather have shelves full of books for their kids because most of the magazines besides Marshmallow are not durable enough to last more than a couple of weeks.
In the long run, a book is probably the better deal but the kids like the cheap (but not so cheap) treat from the grocery store.

When my own kids were young, I kept binders full of the few kids magazines that existed then such as Olomeinu and Tzvios Hashem/Moshiach Times.

Anybody with strategies on how to keep enough reading material around for Yom tov? These kids don't have a public library such as Finklestein that has frum books.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 3:20 am
The magazines are exciting because they have contests and comics, but the kids do go through them pretty fast. A more lasting option is to buy the book-length comics that are popular now, at about $20 each. The kids re-read those over and over, and share them with their friends. My kids like the Just Imagine series, Super Agent Gizmo, The Girl Who Escaped the Convent.... https://www.israelbookshoppubl.....3.htm

Surrendered

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 3:52 am
Chartreuse, Thanks for sharing this link. Very kind of you.
My kids enjoy the weekly comic magazines from the supermarket. As well as regular comics books from the book stores.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 7:57 am
For magazine storage, check Amazon and see what types of containers work best for you.

For girls, I LOVE the "Mirka" series of books by Barry Deutch (who also happens to be a very nice guy IRL). https://www.amazon.com/Herevil.....06195

Spunky, strong-willed eleven-year-old Mirka Herschberg isn’t interested in knitting lessons from her stepmother, or how-to-find-a-husband advice from her sister, or you-better-not warnings from her brother. There’s only one thing she does want: to fight dragons!

Granted, no dragons have been breathing fire around Hereville, the Orthodox Jewish community where Mirka lives, but that doesn’t stop the plucky girl from honing her skills. She fearlessly stands up to local bullies. She battles a very large, very menacing pig. And she boldly accepts a challenge from a mysterious witch, a challenge that could bring Mirka her heart’s desire: a dragon-slaying sword! All she has to do is find—and outwit—the giant troll who’s got it!

A delightful mix of fantasy, adventure, cultural traditions, and preteen commotion, Hereville will captivate middle-school readers with its exciting visuals and entertaining new heroine.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics