Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
What can I do about it

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:04 am
My 15 year old son smokes juul. They say its one of the worst cigger out there. I spoke to him way many times about the risk facts. I dont know if he isnt taking it seriously or he is just too addicted to stop. Im very saddened by it. Hes a great erlich boy and for some reason he became addicted to it . He uses a few packs a day. Is anyone in same shoe as I? It literally makes me feel disgusted , especially he keeps doing it in front of my youngsters. Yet, I keep asking him atleast not to do it in front of them and nothing! Is there hope? As I know my son I can imagine it bothers him too ,hes just too addicted . Any solution? I know he is putting his life @ risk and I do take this very serious!
right now I just feel hopeless! Any advice how to go about it???

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:17 am
If HE is motivated to do something about it, you can help him.

If YOU want to force him to stop, there is not much to do.

I would probably sit him down and say straight out that you love him and are worried for him. You want to help him at least cut down.

Offer him some sort of reward ($$, trip, sefer, game that he wants) if he can avoid vaping for X hours a day for X days. Start small.

During those hours help him by giving him other distractions - fidgets, gum, snacks, or whatever so that he isn't drawn by the force of habit.

Give him a lot of positivity if he succeeds for that time.

With time, you should be able to increase the amount of time until it is no longer an automatic habit. You can reinforce things at that point with studies, testimonials, a doctor to help discourage him from starting again.

Help him with his anxieties about school or friends, as generally smoking helps with those.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:42 am
Where is he getting the money to buy them? Vaping is not cheap, especially if he has a habit that uses a lot. If he is buying them from a local store, you can go in and tell the owner that your son is under age, and that the store can get in big legal trouble if they are selling to children.

I tried a Juul once, and it was SO strong! There was so much nicotine in there I couldn't believe it. I vape a very low amount of nicotine, and I was really shocked at how strong these were. Juul are popular because they are small, and you can hide them in your hand or pocket, unlike a reusable vape system. It's just too darn convenient.

BTW, Marlboro owns 34% of Juul. I find that rather creepy.

If your son is truly addicted (and he probably is) IMHO the best thing to do is to buy him a reusable vape system like the Endura T18. Get him the next lowest dose of juice, and then the next lowest, etc. He can then taper down until there is no nicotine. If he wants to vape occasionally, at least you'll know that it's not a physical addiction, just a psychological addiction.

Another thing, is what does he do on Shabbos and Yom Tov? Vaping is melachah, just like turning on a light. Is his rebbe addressing this issue in school?

simcha2

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:46 am
Is he vaping on shabbat? If not, then he is able to control himself and should not be vaping in the house if you ask him not to.

Maybe appeal to his halachic sensibilities. There are many halachic reasons why it's assur.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:28 am
Well, I have know idea where he buys it from , it seems like he sends someone to buy it for him. He has money from purim or saved up money from ben hazmanim work ... yom tov he does smoke , about shabbos I dont think he does ... the minute it hits zman motza its first thing he grabbs. Brsides shabbos its constantly in his hands . I dont k ow whT yo do anymore . Hes 15 a sensitive kid , I did speak to his therapist once about it and was surprised by his response, he said its something I should let go that most boys from yashiva do it these days, he says he is a magidshir in yadhiva and the majority of boys do it .. so now I feel like its in my hands to take responsibility in it.. actually I did hear once @ a shir that by 1t the kids have to take their own responsibility for themselves, we as parents can be for them and be their motivator but with adolescents their isnt much to do . Its tough , I wish they wouldnt sell such horrible items as dangers.. @ one point im nervous if he gives up thos who knows what other bad addictions he can turn too to subsitute the ciggars ... I guess I need to find the right therapist to work it trhough with him. If anyone know of such a theripist that helps with addiction I would appreciate to hear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children