Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Top speech therapist who is an expert with articulation

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 7:28 am
After many years of speech therapy, my first grader is still very hard to understand.
The main issue seems to be articulation.
Uhcp was paying for speech but they keep declining us now.
At this point it’s affecting my child’s self esteem and social life.
I’m willing to pay for a top therapist if I’m guaranteed there are many happy clients. There are so many mediocre therapists out there... time is not on our side anymore and I need the top and will pay whatever I need to.
Please help with some recommendations.
Specifically someone who is an expert dealing with articulation....

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 7:39 am
Articulation issues can take years. One child of mine went through elementary school. There is no quick fix. It’s learning the sounds and mastering them in speech. Sometimes realest inf the whole mouth- swallowing, tongue placement.
(Frumie Garfunkel is fantastic)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 2:49 pm
Bump

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 5:03 pm
I don't have a therapist for you but just in case you haven't considered these, have you ruled out hearing issues and tongue/lip/buccal ties by a preferred provider? If your child is already in first grade and still struggling, I'd highly recommend only going to Dr. Scott Siegel to be sure there are no ties.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 6:43 pm
What sounds is she struggling with?
As a speech therapist, I can tell you that the first thing I look at when evaluating a child are the oral motor structures, specifically looking out for any ties.
Articulation is very difficult and takes a lot of time and practice. It's like breaking a habit (excluding ties), and you only get 30-60 min a week of intervention! That's not a lot at all when you're trying to break a habit. She has to practice every day if she wants the therapy to be effective.
It's a long, not very fun journey. But she'll get through it! Hang tight!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 6:57 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
What sounds is she struggling with?
As a speech therapist, I can tell you that the first thing I look at when evaluating a child are the oral motor structures, specifically looking out for any ties.
Articulation is very difficult and takes a lot of time and practice. It's like breaking a habit (excluding ties), and you only get 30-60 min a week of intervention! That's not a lot at all when you're trying to break a habit. She has to practice every day if she wants the therapy to be effective.
It's a long, not very fun journey. But she'll get through it! Hang tight!

It’s not so much the inability to pronounce sounds correctly... although “L” will often be “W” and “R” is also “W”, but it’s more the unclarity of a sentence. The words come out too fast... one therapist was working on pacing but then wondered if apraxia was the issue. Recently we had another evaluation done and the speech therapist who evaluated was pretty sure that apraxia of speech was not the issue rather articulation.
This child has already been receiving speech therapy for 4 years. We took a one year break hoping that with maturity the speech will develop but that did not happen and it is affecting my child socially at this point.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 6:59 pm
Dassy Deckelbaum

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 8:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s not so much the inability to pronounce sounds correctly... although “L” will often be “W” and “R” is also “W”, but it’s more the unclarity of a sentence. The words come out too fast... one therapist was working on pacing but then wondered if apraxia was the issue. Recently we had another evaluation done and the speech therapist who evaluated was pretty sure that apraxia of speech was not the issue rather articulation.
This child has already been receiving speech therapy for 4 years. We took a one year break hoping that with maturity the speech will develop but that did not happen and it is affecting my child socially at this point.

Find someone who is familiar with posterior ties. There are some symptoms in your post that may be indicative of a posterior tie and many speech therapists are not familiar with posterior ties. He/She would probably also likely benefit from some cranio sacral therapy.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:42 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Find someone who is familiar with posterior ties. There are some symptoms in your post that may be indicative of a posterior tie and many speech therapists are not familiar with posterior ties. He/She would probably also likely benefit from some cranio sacral therapy.

Are you a speech therapist in Lakewood? I'd love to know who you are!! Professionals who are tie-savvy are not too easy to come by. Can you pm me? Thanks!!

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:43 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Are you a speech therapist in Lakewood? I'd love to know who you are!! Professionals who are tie-savvy are not too easy to come by. Can you pm me? Thanks!!

I am in Brooklyn Smile. I really do find it shocking how uneducated many speech therapists are in this area, when it impacts speech in so many ways. Posterior ties affect tongue retraction, articulation, jaw/tongue dissociation and jaw sliding, feeding issues etc. I find it highly correlated with certain errors of the /r/ sound as well as other motoric delays.
Other seemingly non related issues may include bedwetting, foot/leg pain, sleep issues. torticollis, etc. Ok off my soap box. I'm just passionate about oral ties and work privately with many clients with ties on articulation, oral motor and associated body mechanics Very Happy.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:51 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I am in Brooklyn Smile. I really do find it shocking how uneducated many speech therapists are in this area, when it impacts speech in so many ways. Posterior ties affect tongue retraction, articulation, jaw/tongue dissociation and jaw sliding, feeding issues etc. I find it highly correlated with certain errors of the /r/ sound as well as other motoric delays. Ok off my soap box. I'm just passionate about oral ties. Very Happy.

Sorry to hijack- I have two children with lateral lisps that have been getting therapy for years from a highly recommended speech therapist but are still hard to understand. Do you think there could be a physical part to it?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:57 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Sorry to hijack- I have two children with lateral lisps that have been getting therapy for years from a highly recommended speech therapist but are still hard to understand. Do you think there could be a physical part to it?

Possibly. It can be related to tongue ties or poor dentition and tooth alignment
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries