Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Meds for strep with no symptoms

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:14 pm
to give or not to give? for a 6 yr old that the instant culture came back negative and the overnight came back (3 days later) as positive.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:16 pm
Yes! One of my kids kept passing it to their friends, it's still contagious, just shows up differently in different kids. The preschool teacher finally asked me to get a culture...I was shocked!
And you never know how it can develop.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:16 pm
Why did you do a culture without symptoms? Yes, I would give if the doctor recommends it.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:19 pm
Untreated strept can be very dangerous. Please give medication.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:36 pm
Firstly sure give medicine this is not an ear infection which will most likely heal on it’s own. It’s an infection. Second ur child may not be able to express himself well but often strep symptoms are mild and the person just feels off. An adult can tell you that a child can’t.

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:28 pm
What was the reason for the throat culture? I'm assuming there was some symptom if they bothered to do it at all. In which case, yes, treat it. But if there were never any symptoms in the first place then my pediatrician doesn't test for it because he says there's nothing to treat without symptoms, unless (which happened in my family a couple of times) the other people in the family keep getting it because a kid without symptoms is just carrying around the germ. Keep in mind that symptoms can be tiredness, headache, moods... so it's not that simple to say a kid has "strep with no symptoms."

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 11:35 pm
If you are worried you can always repeat culture to make sure it's not a false positive!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 10:04 am
I took the culture cuz another kid in the house has strep and I didn't want to go in to YT without checking. he's been totally fine all yom tov and yesterday. no complaints, no fever. he's an expressive kid and tells me when anything hurts. I think the best option is to retake the culture. I hate the idea of giving meds for nothing...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics