Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Moving into a 20 year old house from rented new construction
Previous  1  2

Rappel

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 2:45 am
Is this satire?

pause

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 3:41 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
OP said in a different thread where this house is. The houses there are built extremely cheap, 20 years means it is very old and tired.

OP y dont u stay in your rental and rent out the new place? Move in after u saved enough money to give it a facelift.

I read that thread too, but still chose to include this info because
a - it's true. It helps for perspective to know that in house-age, 20 is very young, even though this particular house might be more worn and tired.
b- in case it's not the same OP. Don't make assumptions.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 7:03 am
Thanks to everyone who responded. Just curious which thread you are referring to . This is the first time I am posting about this issue.

Rappel

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 7:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks to everyone who responded. Just curious which thread you are referring to . This is the first time I am posting about this issue.

A poster from Lakewood recently had deep concerns about whether to buy a 20 year old property with no inherent resale value.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 7:22 am
20 years is not old for a house at all!
If it doesn’t look nice, you need to save up money to fix it up so you will be happy.
You don’t own your own home now. You are living in someone else’s house using someone else’s appliances so I don’t think that’s so great anyway.
It sounds to me that you need another $10,000 to do some basic repairs and to upgrade your appliances.
It’s considered a million times better to own your own your home than to rent.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 7:39 am
Can you link the other thread- I can't find it.

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 8:38 am
I'd prefer 100 year old house to a new or 20 year old ... construction is so slap stick these days

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 11:34 am
OP: Remember old houses sometimes better layouts than new ones: some seemingly meaningless space that architect/designers feel are useless these days but is enjoyable space as opposed to useful space.

old houses sometimes have better water pressure in toilets than new ones: something

you can't replicate these days.

pause

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 11:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This is the thread some posters think is also yours:
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....71642

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 12:51 pm
Holy moly -that is not me but I having read through the thread- I literally could have written that word for word. Scary! I completely understand the OP of the other thread.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 4:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are iyh planning on buying a house. I am having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that the house is old. okay it was built only 20 years ago but the kitchen is ugly and the carpet is gross. I cannot afford to put money into the house now but what makes it even harder is that I currently live in a gorgeous brand new construction rental with kosher kitchen stainless steal everything. I will be leaving that to buy the house which is nice but not brand new. I am really struggling with this - how can I be okay sitting on someone else's toilet or showering in someone else's bathroom - it is really grossing me out help!

Think of it this way:

When you have guests in your current brand new rental, do you allow them to use your toilet or shower?

If so, you have already shared these facilities with others.

caza

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 6:41 pm
I can totally relate, I recently moved from a new build to an old build (both rental just bigger) and I was really foen the first few days, I couldn't touch the kitchen, the flooring....I literally cried for every little thing and I realised that I am really struggling with the change. It is slowly getting better, I am getting more used to it but there is no magic and it will very likely be difficult af the beginning- but I fell there is nothing like being a home owner

miami85

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 7:53 pm
Btw echoing what others have said about new houses, we bought a house that was recently upgraded and looked all new, though its a 50 year old house, but though we've been here only a year we're noticing that the aesthetics were cheaply done--the paint is peeling, the carpets stain easily (no scotchguard) and the mock-wood floors warp. New construction is often done cheaper so that the new tenants can change it to their own specifications, whereas an older house, a) you aren't necessarily paying for "new" paint/carpet whereas in a new construction you are paying for the "fresh clean look". I know someone who bought a literal dump of a house--the wife called it a "haunted house" and refused to live in it, but the price was right. The husband hired contractors and fixed it up. It's not a huge house, but in a prime location for them and when he was done--fully intending to flip it, the wife was so impressed that they've been living there almost 20 years!

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 11:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are iyh planning on buying a house. I am having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that the house is old. okay it was built only 20 years ago but the kitchen is ugly and the carpet is gross. I cannot afford to put money into the house now but what makes it even harder is that I currently live in a gorgeous brand new construction rental with kosher kitchen stainless steal everything. I will be leaving that to buy the house which is nice but not brand new. I am really struggling with this - how can I be okay sitting on someone else's toilet or showering in someone else's bathroom - it is really grossing me out help!

I can relate to this. I'm the OP who started that long controversial thread. I also can't stomach the idea of moving into an old lived in house, which is why I'm stuck, bec can't afford new. I'm currently also living in old townhouse but somehow it's nicer and bigger and I have hard time "downgrading".

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 11:13 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
OP said in a different thread where this house is. The houses there are built extremely cheap, 20 years means it is very old and tired.

OP y dont u stay in your rental and rent out the new place? Move in after u saved enough money to give it a facelift.

This is a diff thread. I'm the OP of the other thread and this is someone else. Glad to see others have the same feelings as me.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 11:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Holy moly -that is not me but I having read through the thread- I literally could have written that word for word. Scary! I completely understand the OP of the other thread.

Thank you for validating! I'm the OP of the other thread and have been guilt ridden even though I pretty much made up my mind that I can't go ahead with it. But I feel so guilty bec feel I'm hurting everyone else in the process. But at the end of the day, I'm the woman of the house who has to be happy, no? But I still feel sooo guilty...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics