Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Antidepressant for a 16 year old

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 1:17 pm
The therapist who has been seeing my daughter on and off prescribed her low dosage antidepressant.
She has health anxieties and worries a lot. She started getting a few anxiety attacks.
Now he wants her to take antidepressant till she is more calm and settled so the therapy might help her better.

Honestly I am worried for her to have to take such drastic measures and maybe will get too depended on it.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 1:25 pm
anti-depressants should be prescribed by a psychiatrist, not a therapist. But a therapist can (and should) recommend that your child see a psychiatrist for anti-depressants if warranted.

If your child is having panic attacks, then it does not sound like "drastic measures" to treat that with anti-depressants. Also, taking anti-depressants does not make one dependent on it. It can be tapered down at a later date and your child can see how she does without it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:14 pm
He is a Psychologist

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:45 pm
This should be mostly her decision. Only she will know how she really feels. However, you should consider the risks and side effects strongly, because certain anti-depressants can potentially cause symptoms of depression if given to someone who didn't have any beforehand.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 3:23 pm
I am considering the risks and side affects and that's why I am so unsure. But her psychologist thinks she needs it to calm down her worries.
I was talking to someone else who thinks that I should trust him because he knows what he is doing and is a clever man.
They both dont see it as a big deal and that one can take her off in a few months.
But I am scared to do this step.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 3:28 pm
Sometimes it helps to get a second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth opinion. What does your daughter think?

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 3:34 pm
I'm a Mom that put her daughter on medication at that age. I can relate to how scary it is to do that. I cried the first day. I was really terrified.

But I know that it was the best thing I did for my daughter (it probably even saved her life, health, and sanity.) I trusted the education and expertise of the top doctors we took her to, that were recommended to us by her pediatrician (whom we trust absolutely). B"H it's a few years since, and she's doing really well.

I understand that it seems scary to do this. Sometimes it's also scary not to. You have to weigh both sides and make a decision. That's what we did.

oneofakind

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 3:55 pm
Why is she seeing this psychologist on and off? If she would see somebody on a steady basis maybe she wouldn't need this medication. Has she tried yoga, deep breathing, exercise, art? If she isn't suicidal or unable to function you can get as many opinions as you need and try a variety of things.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 4:10 pm
It doesn’t have to be forever. It’s the cast on a broken arm. With therapy and self help she can get through this and wean off the meds.
If she wants this and her psychologist recommends it then don’t stop her.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 4:18 pm
There can be long term effects from a short term stints on certain antidepressants.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 4:35 pm
I wish my parents had gotten me the medication I needed when I was 16, instead of wasting my time with a therapist.

"Talking about my issues" did nothing to help with my bipolar symptoms and anxiety.

IMHO, your child is more likely to attempt suicide without meds, than as a side effect from meds. G-d knows I tried more than once. Crying

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 6:57 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I wish my parents had gotten me the medication I needed when I was 16, instead of wasting my time with a therapist.

"Talking about my issues" did nothing to help with my bipolar symptoms and anxiety.

IMHO, your child is more likely to attempt suicide without meds, than as a side effect from meds. G-d knows I tried more than once. Crying

My cousin became suicidal at age 16 from improperly prescribed and managed antidepressants.

OP, tread with care and DEFINITELY do not start your daughter on meds until she has been seen by a competent psychiatrist who is experienced in handling adolescent cases!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 7:39 pm
Tough tough
Dunno details of how severe)b would definitely try other options first-(natural alternative)as well as check out if she has thyroid imbalance .
Talking from experience,
Refuah shliema!

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 7:58 pm
It's not drastic measures.

If the child is not doing well and life is a struggle, it's the right thing to do. She needs to be living her life and growing as a teen, in school, with friends, not suffering with unmedicated mental health issues.

Panic attacks and health anxiety leave little room for her to be doing the development she needs to be doing, or to benefit from therapy in a real way.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:06 pm
Would you and your daughter be open to seeing a functional md? They can run some tests and try to get to the root biological cause of her anxiety and depression and help you treat it that way? Hormonal imbalances are a big factor at that age, estrogen dominance can cause neurological symptoms.

If you're going to go down the medication route, ask for the genesight test before, it will match the best type of anti depressant for her genetic make-up. Good luck!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:03 pm
OP here.
We spoke again with him and is not anti-depression but for anxiety attacks.
Then I spoke to someone else who s experience and went and asked a big local Rabbi.
He said we should give it to her but only for few months and she needs to be seen every couple of weeks at least.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 9:01 pm
Do not and I repeat do NOT take psychiatric meds from anyone BUT a psychiatrist!
Your daughter should be seeing a competent one who wil prescribe the right medication as well as follow ups every 2-4 weeks. To monitor her situation. Therapy is a good pairing too.

No rabbi or regular Pcp/gp/md is right for prescribing these meds.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Oct 17 2019, 9:50 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
There can be long term effects from a short term stints on certain antidepressants.

Can you share them? That will be very beneficial information. Are you referring to self esteem or physical effects?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children