Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
9 month old iron

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:35 pm
My pediatrician just checked baby's iron and said Hemoglobin (Hb), (from Fingerstick) was 8.8 which is super low. Going to lab for a CBC and retic count, but in the meantime she said to give him 3ml of iron supplement/day which is 45mg elemental iron.

Anyone with experience? Is there a brand you used that baby was more willing to take? The enfamil doesn't smell/taste very good, so wondering if there is something better.
Also, the "regular dosage" is 15 mg (1 ml dropperful) so it seems like a lot!

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:41 pm
My daughter is older and is also low in iron. I went to the pharmacy and since they have someone there who is a expert in vitamins I ended up buying something that is more effective than only using the prescribed iron. I found that the vitamin guy in the pharmacy was more knowledgeable than the doctor. If you have a pharmacy like this near you, you would probably get most help there.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 2:51 pm
have they looked at ferritin levels at all?? there can be so many reasons for low hgb that have nothing to do with iron.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 3:40 pm
1- if your child is already on solids mix it with baby cereals and fruit to mask the taste!
2- if your child is not, give it in the bath because it makes rust stains on clothing!
3- if you do get a stain, use carbonna rust remover!
Been there,done that! Wink

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 6:32 pm
Not sure what ferritin levels are, but Dr. testing retic count (?) to make sure the issue is only needing more iron.
Thanks for advice about staining/doing in bath.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics