Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Religious Zionist rabbonim against plastic disposables
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 6:44 am
This kind of discussion about which is more expensive can't be had without quantifying costs.

* How much does plastic dishes plus cutlery cost per meal per person?

* What is the cost of washing plates, bowls, and cutlery, averaged per person in your house? (Not pots and pans, since those would have to be washed anyway. Just the extra dishes plus cutlery.)

I personally find that nearly all of the work in washing dishes comes from the cooking and storage. The plates and cutlery adds maybe three minutes to the chore. I'm guessing that many of the people who use disposables also don't cook. And using processed, prepared foods adds a lot to the budget.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 7:20 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I'm guessing that many of the people who use disposables also don't cook. And using processed, prepared foods adds a lot to the budget.
please dont guess or assume anything.
Im the amother who said for my shalom bayis we use disposables.
We have a home cooked meal peepared every night. Never prepared. Never delivered/take out
So dont assume anything once again.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 7:32 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
please dont guess or assume anything.
Im the amother who said for my shalom bayis we use disposables.
We have a home cooked meal peepared every night. Never prepared. Never delivered/take out
So dont assume anything once again.

Oh, goodness. Don't get all huffy. I said "guess," not "assume." They're not the same. And I said "many," not "most," or "all."

You write that you have a home cooked meal prepared every night. I don't know if you or your husband prepares it or someone else does. If someone in your family is doing it, there are still pots and pans to deal with.

I am not blaming you or accusing you of anything. I am merely pointing out that those who use disposables generally still have to wash dishes if they cook.

I am still asking -- not necessarily you, this is addressed to all -- whether anyone has quantified costs, as I asked above.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 7:48 am
In Israel, at least, many balabustas who cook A LOT rely on disposables. Especially in sephardi type families, moroccan, yemenite, where there is a major emphasis put on cleanliness.

As for costs, the flimsy stuff in Israel is dirt cheap. Like 50 cups for 5 nis. But I dont think washing 50 cups by hand would cost 5 nis either, in water, unless you left it running the whole time you were soaping.

Also, dont forget these plastic cups are really one time use. With real cups, you can use the same glass for an entire day. That's what we do, as we are only drinking water anyway. (Same with coffee mugs - I have my own for the day, which I lightly rinse between uses).

So 50 flimsy cups used in a household equals far less than 50 real cups.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 7:51 am
I also cook.

Disposables have some major perks. You don't have to worry about kids (or adults) breaking them. They hurt way less if your toddler throws them. The plates I have are easily microwaveable. And you can buy in bulk and then go through a lot in a day when there's a lot going on. If I didn't use them for Shabbos and especially yom tov, I'd have to wash dishes several times (in cold water on Shabbos), which often doesn't go well, and/or have smelly dishes in the sink for an extended time. Because I have a dishwasher, but how much does it hold? And yes, I use disposable pans for both baking and storage.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 7:55 am
In any case, obviously disposables are convenient, or they wouldn't be so popular.

The question is how many of us can at least scale back considerably on this convenience, in order to save the environment.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 8:26 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
In any case, obviously disposables are convenient, or they wouldn't be so popular.

The question is how many of us can at least scale back considerably on this convenience, in order to save the environment.

That's exactly why I started the thread; for those who are in a position to do that.

sima

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 11:12 am
I'm not perfect myself and as I said in a previous response on this thread I still use plastic disposables and I really want to change that. As I'm typing this I have another window open ready to place my IKEA order.

It really doesn't matter if the disposables in Israel are different or "less" in some way. Disposable is disposable and it's trash. Multiply that by the sheer quantity and there you go. Let's face it, either way you spin it, it's too much trash going into the system. I'm not saying don't ever use it, use it when you are in a bind or sick or just gave birth, just not on a constant basis. Can't we all just do a bit???

I'm also reading so many posts here, of people complaining that with one sink it's not doable, no dishwasher etc.... no cleaning lady. Not once in my life have I ever had any of the above and I work full-time 50 plus hours per week and have kids. I'm not saying this to compare or anything but we've never had such (ok former European here). It really only takes a few extra minutes to wash dishes if you are already washing pans from cooking.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics