Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Please recommend flooring

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:00 pm
Hi! We need to deal with our dining room floor. Right now we have hard wood but it just doesn't seem worth it. It gets scratched all day long and with a bunch of little kids, bli ayin hara, we're not interested in having to move all of the furniture and refinish it every few years.
What flooring would you recommend that is extremely durable, doesn't scratch, and cleans well?
Thank you!!
I feel like there are so many versions of each kind, so feel free to add a link. Thanks!!

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:11 pm
Wood-look porcelain tile is all of those, but I wouldn't want it with little kids because it is a very hard surface and will hurt to fall on.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 4:45 pm
We actually have porcelain in another room and everything breaks so easily when dropped, so I'm going to avoid more of that; but thanks for the suggestion!

Debbig

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 6:23 pm
We put high quality vinyl wood look flooring into the main living space in our house. I choose a very dark brown shade & I love it. It’s our main living space & has lots of traffic. It’s hardly scratched & cleans very easily.
I had it done in February.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 6:26 pm
Debbig wrote:
We put high quality vinyl wood look flooring into the main living space in our house. I choose a very dark brown shade & I love it. It’s our main living space & has lots of traffic. It’s hardly scratched & cleans very easily.
I had it done in February.

Same. I recently had this put in a bunch of rooms. One down side is that once it scratches its there for good.. one of my kids moved the recliner a few feet to get something that fell behind it and now I have a deep scratch across the living room floor and there is nothing to do about it Sad

Debbig

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 6:54 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Same. I recently had this put in a bunch of rooms. One down side is that once it scratches its there for good.. one of my kids moved the recliner a few feet to get something that fell behind it and now I have a deep scratch across the living room floor and there is nothing to do about it Sad

Actually it’s pretty easy to remove a few tiles & replace them.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 7:00 pm
Use furniture socks on the legs of your furniture. No more scratches!
The amother who has the vinyl wood look flooring should also put the special socks over the legs of the couch.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 9:33 pm
Thank you! I will look into high quality vinyl. Do scratches show more on dark or light colors? Is there a kind that's removable vs interlocking? What are the benefits and downsides of each type of installation?
Am I nuts for wanting to replace the wood? I feel like wood flooring is put on such a high pedestal but I just don't like it...

Debbig

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you! I will look into high quality vinyl. Do scratches show more on dark or light colors? Is there a kind that's removable vs interlocking? What are the benefits and downsides of each type of installation?
Am I nuts for wanting to replace the wood? I feel like wood flooring is put on such a high pedestal but I just don't like it...

Vinyl is just tiles that are glued down so they can be replaced very easily.
Mine are darker all the way through so scratches are not white it’s dark brown. It’s hard to see them. Unlike my wood floors that are very scratched up. Unless the furniture rubs off onto it.
If it’s not working for you then your not nuts. You have to do what works for u.

West End Tova

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 10:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You have to have what works for you. I'll only say that if you need to consider resale at some point, some areas are VERY big on wood floors, so just make sure you factor that in to the decision if necessary.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 9:02 am
You can put floating vinyl down on top of the wood to preserve it for resale value if necessary.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 9:09 am
Please don’t switch to vinyl
You’ll regret it
It just doesn’t have the same look as wood

You can put socks and add an area rug
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics